Not Tapping to help learning?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by mattt, Jan 20, 2014.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

If you are a nice guy, who comes to training every day and can submit people above your rank I imagine.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah but from the sounds of it he's submitting people out of fear, he's not actually getting the technique on (assuming he sticks to this tactic more often than not). Who the hell cranks on somebody's limb like the mad man you describe, an asshat, that's who. Your whole story makes me want to kick this dude in the head while he's cranking on somebody's leg like that, completely failing at what he's intending to do.

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Well, every submission is out of fear :)

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah I get you, but there's a difference between systematically putting somebody into a submission with sufficient force and intent, and thinking you have somebody in a submission and letting all hell loose with trying to get the submission. It's stupid, and it's helped him develop bad habits it seems.

I've only trained ground fighting for about a year some time ago but I've never met anyone who is decent who does that kind of crap. Usually it's the newer guys (like myself when I started) and it usually turns out to not working at all. I guess I wouldn't be so irked if you wrote blue or white belt, or totally new guy. But a purple?

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Usually its' guys who have been going 3/4 years who should know better or new guys, one had one brown belt do it.

I was about to say something a bit more, but Ero basically summed it up for me without being so wordy:

8 years and a purp should know better and should have enough presence of mind and knowledge of his art to do more than be a one trick pony. And if he got this far doing the same thing, then people probably aren't calling him on it enough. And he probably needs to go back to earlier basics and revisit his movement and mind set.

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've never done BJJ but he sounds like a jerk if he is putting full strength locks on, has anyone ever called him out on it?

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I think that's 100% the right thing to do against this guy. I always try to help out whoever I'm rolling with if I feel they're a bit off but some guys are all about winning and flexing their muscle and are not interested in returning the favor. I started training with this guy. Never helps me out with anything and always cranking locks and chokes like a freaking monkey. He even fake-tapped to escape against a friend of mine and THEN proceeded to do a pinky lock on him. The example is a bit extreme but as I have accumulated nagging injuries from training with guys with 0 control over the years, I now have zero patience for this and avoid them like the plague if I can help it. We have signs around the gym that say "Leave your ego at the door". Some dudes will never get the message. Screw them.

/ rant

8. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i'd be too scared to do that. i was rolling with a black belt about a month ago and he got me into this wicked collar choke. i tried to fight through it thinking i could get out. all of a sudden, i'm on the mat looking up.

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Well, what do you know...just had a doc appointment this morning after I got my chest caved in this weekend by a spaz. Had never met him before. White belt like me, nice enough guy to talk to. Asked him how hard he wanted to go...he says "20-50%" so I get ready for a nice flow roll...right away he starts crushing my thighs and muscles his way to the side mount...so I let out "This is 20-50%??". He says sorry blah blah. I tell him to keep going, now thinking he's going to dial it down....nope. He gets in the mount and superman the HELL out of me. He must have done something right because I almost tapped just for the pressure on my solar plexus. We rolled a second time and right off the bat he started grinding his forehead into my face to pass half guard...seriously what the hell is wrong with some people? I later learned that the guy trained GJJ combatives. Anyway later that day my oesophagus started burning like hell every time I ate/drank something hot. Starting conservative care with anti-acid medication but could possibly be a hernia. Good job, jerkface.

10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You rolled with him a second time? What is wrong with you?

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I didn't feel anything wrong with my chest until that night when I ate something and it was just the 3 of us early birds round-robbin-ing it until more people showed up. But yeah, I should have passed regardless, I suppose.