Not stopping when tapping

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by 9021oh, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Leave already. Do it. Joint injuries are NOT something to mess with. I don't know about you but I'd freaking kill someone if they caused me a lasting injury.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

As far as I'm concerned if a joint lock is deliberately held after a tap, it becomes assault. I'm pretty sure a magistrate would see it that way too.

3. LCC

LCC Valued Member

I sent my missus to Kenpo and they did push her past her comfort zone (as any good MA would do). But this sounds like the guy applying the hold is showing off by knowingly inflicting pain on you. Good thing you're leaving as there are better instructors out there. Good luck on your journey.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

tell him you want to leave because he is a total douchebag and you like having the full use of your limbs.

5. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Follow the advice below as previously posted...

That school sounds like your typical garbage dojo anyway. Read the McDojo sticky on here or on Bullshido.com :cool:

6. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Worth also noting that repeated hyper extention of joints is bad for them. So even if he isn't causing obvious injuries he may be weakening your joints, pain is there for a reason, its a warning.

7. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

I have seen similar instructors in the past.

These guys got off on dominating students in front of the class, at the time we thought this was "the traditional way"... it was not the traditional way. Time passed and we saw it was just a bully with ego problems.

Your instructor is ignoring your life line, it's a serious personal mis-conduct for him to ignore your tap, he can ingore grunts, yelps and hisses of pain but NOT the sign that says "Stop I think your going to injure me"

I'd speak to your instructor, if he does not immiediatly rectify....

...Leave.

People like that have very little worth teaching.

8. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Please leave already.

I am getting angry just thinking about what might happen to my weak shoulder if someone kimura'd me and didn't stop after I tapped. I would go to the police for sure. As Holyhead said, after the tap, not letting go is assault.

9. Lines&Circles

Lines&Circles New Member

Its a hard 1 to call. either your instructor is a bully or you were expecting a pillow fight and not a martial arts class.

10. holyheadjch

No, it's not a hard one to call at all. A person taps, you release the hold. There is no grey area.

11. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Nonsense. It's a demonstration in class not a MMA fight. He has no business harming people like that.

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Its an easy one to call and most of us called it.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd expect an instant release in an MMA fight. There's a good chance it's even more critical.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i think he meant training is not a fight, in training your goal should always include yours partners safety, in competition its up to the other fighter and the ref to look after my opponent im there to win, so a different mind set, I dont let go or stop until the ref says so and sees the tap

But i think everyone on this thread is in agreement the poster should look elsewhere for training lol

15. Samurai Jay

Samurai Jay master of all weapons

Let's just hope your instructor doesn't learn this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU9CjBIxD8U&playnext=1&list=PL76CD074C54544C98"]YouTube - Tony Cecchine's American Catch Wrestling: Hooks vs. Submission Holds (top wrist lock / "key lock")[/ame]

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Now that is quality instruction.

17. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

What he said :)

18. holyheadjch

Not sure I want to watch that. Is there splintering involved?

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nope...just really in-depth breakdown of an americana/keylock/top wrist lock from side control.
    Lots of little pointers from a non-BJJ perspective.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

or alternatively its rubbish talk about the difference between a sub and a hook ( :eek: ) from someone who never competed because of a bad back...., made up his golden gloves credentials and ripped a load of people off.....