Nose V Mouth Breathing in Boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Punchy, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

I find that I can get more air if I breath through my mouth as well as nose but there is a risk that if you get hit hard in the mouth you are more likely to get a broken jaw. So I tend to drop back to a safe distance after I have been in punching and have a quick mouth breath.

How do you cope? Do you only breath through your nose in the ring and if so, does it limit your air intake and make you a bit breathless?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Pretty hard to breathe through only your nose for an entire round. Let alone a fight. Most people (boxers nak muays) in the thick of it stick to nose breathing. And then once they've gotten a bit of distance will mouth breathe. The issue of breathing through you open mouth and getting hit isn't one of an broken jaw so much as it is a dislocated jaw. Not a place you want to have to go.

But breathing is tied directly to the footwork. Once you have that distance and you know your opponents distances it's a whole lot easier to breathe either nose or mouth when you need to.

If you watch a lot of Muay Thai bouts (Kings Cup, Princes Cup, Lumpini) you'll be surprised how much time they spend with their hands down. at their waist or thighs... they can do this because they are masters of the distance. They know their range well... if you learn range breathing becomes easier.

3. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Muay thai fighters are bad at range fighting, This is where boxing excels big time over Thai-i find it easy fighting Thai fighters, 1 because there range fighting is bad and 2 because they hate been punched, that's why in Thai boxing they get away with the low hands, they know that Boxing is not appreciated or scored high in Thai so they dont train against it.

On topic, breath through your nose when fighting and breath naturally when your out of fight range

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the advice guys.

Interesting comments about the Thai fighters.

5. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

It Works

I have been trying the suggestion (above) to breathe through the nose when in close and then through the mouth when at more of a distance, and it sems to work fine.

Thank you!