North East Kickboxing Academy

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by EmptyHandGuy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Have anyone on here have any experience with NEKA? They look pretty good and do regular cross training sessions in other arts like BJJ. They also have or have links to a boxing gym. There website is pretty basic so was wondering if anyone had any further info on them?

there website is here.

2. EmptyHandGuy

Sent them several emails to ask further details about the class but not gotten a reply from any of them. One of my mates is interested in taking up kickboxing and this did look promising, was hoping that someone on here had any info before we go and check it out.

3. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Best thing to do is check it out , just pop along u dont even have to take party jsut stand on the side and watch .

I have heard a few things about them and all good

4. EmptyHandGuy

Thanks! The thing that got me worried was the blackbelt4u name for their website, sounded a bit dodgy:thinking:. Going to see when my mates available to go along and then check them out.

5. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

ya that name does sound a bit dodgey but like i said wehn u go you will be able to tell instantly if its a mcdojo or not :p

6. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

if they mention chi get outta there haha

7. EmptyHandGuy

Well its been a complete waste of time as my mate has now decided he's not interested anymore. He keeps saying he wants to get back into training in a martial art (he previously studied wado ryu with the chojinkai club in newcastle) but when I find something he backs out. Going to let him does his own pointless searching from now on :bang:

8. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

I haven't trained at NEKA but have been to loads of martial art clubs around newcastle. From what I have heard NEKA are good and regulaly compete, not sure what level of contact though. Where do you train GB-UK?

9. EmptyHandGuy

I've just got back to my judo club in wallsend and train tai chi at a class held in the gym I'm a member of. I used to do freestyle karate with the NFKA but got bored with it. Tried to get back into it last year with my daughter but she hated it so I didn't continue.
    Who do you train mantis with? Its not with Sifu Tennet in Whitley Bay? He's a great instructor and trained with him in WC before I went to Uni.

10. Satsui_No_Hadou

Cool who runs the Tai Chi class you do? Indeed it is with Sifu Tennet, although I am on a kind of hiatus at the moment and I used to train Wing Chun under him a few years back. We do Yang style Tai Chi as well, what style is yours? You should come to the Kung Fu meet next month :p

11. EmptyHandGuy

I train tai chi with Mel Richarson, learning the 24 step yang and the 37 step Cheng Man Ching form. I did WC with Paul around 1990 and again for a short time after uni, but moved down to Redcar for work for a while.
    Like I said I've mainly studied freestyle karate in the past, going from traditional shotokan in the early 80's to Tukido. Then when the tukido disapearred from this neck of the woods I did Jintian Do which then changed to Northern Freestyle! I tried jujitsu with the WJJF but didn't find that to my likeing but judo is a lot of fun and not all complient crap either. The tai chi I do with the lad who said he was interested in getting into kickboxing, I enjoy it but don't get as often as I could.

12. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Both of you get yourselves over to john agars wing chun school in the washington area

13. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

:p , i know the type my mates are the same , i wanna go back but they never do anything of it .

14. EmptyHandGuy

I've heard good things about John Agars school but I only venture south of the river to go to work and thats enough for me. I'm happy with my judo and tai chi at the moment. The only thing that would tempt me south would be krav maga, I did find a class down near Darlington but that is just a bit to far to travel for me at the moment.

15. Satsui_No_Hadou

Are you guys coming to the Northern meet? Its called the Kung Fu meet but open to all styles! I went to the last one and it was a blast!

16. EmptyHandGuy

Just had a look at this! I thought it was northern not down south near manchester :p

17. Satsui_No_Hadou

Aye it is a bit of a trek but well worth it! Are you training at NEKA now? I see your avatar has changed! I'm starting kickboxing and MMA at Attitude in North Shields soon!

18. EmptyHandGuy

I remember the lad who runs Attitude, he used to train with what is now the northern freestyle karate association in whitley bay in the early 90's, though my memory of the date could be a little off!
    No I didn't go with NEKA but am studying eskrima under LabanB from this very forum, well I was until I did my back in at work just over a week ago :bang:

19. LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn Valued Member

Ah, Jintian-Do / Taisudo, they were the days. There were 2 Jintiand-Do's - The British Jintian-do Assoc., and Jintian-Do Freestyle, which became Taisudo.
    Taisudo Freestyle was a great association, loads of members, quality, friendly instructors, and regular events. Though before it collapsed, it did end up in the wrong hands, which caused it to fail big time.

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

didnt realise there where that many geordies on here.
    im up for looking at the kickboxing club if anyones woried about going alone, been wanting to give it a shot for a while.