NOOOOOOOOO! (Robocop Remake)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Moosey, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

So, they've actually remade Robocop. And it looks rubbish.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INmtQXUXez8"]ROBOCOP - Official Trailer (2014) [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought it looked pretty cool?! What makes you think it looks like rubbish?

3. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Hollywood needs to make something new. something that's not a remake or sequel. not based on a book or comic either. I WANT A NEW STORY!

we should all boycott any movie that's not original. excluding Star Trek, because more Star Trek is nothing but a good thing.

4. Ero-Sennin

Speak for yourself! I'm loving all the remakes. I look at them as updates to the original stories to make them cooler :p

5. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

The fact that it is a Robocop movie.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It just looks like a generic CG-heavy action movie.

I thought the original was an '80s classic. Kurtwood Smith's terrifying villain. Peter Weller's very slow return from machine to human. The endlessly quotable script. The constant digs at privatisation and consumerism. It's just awesomeness.

The trailer here seems to have skipped a lot of the stuff that made the original memorable, from the gritty, nasty "Old Detroit" setting to the "is he a human trapped in a robot or a robot with some residual human memories?" stuff.

I just thought the trailer looked a bit naff. More like the massively inferior Robocop 3.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It looks....different

As a MASSIVE fan of the original I am scared at the prospect of this remake, especially after the abortion that was "Total Recall"

8. Ero-Sennin

I don't ever have a problem with CG stuff unless it actually looks like a computer animation. I think in White House Down they had a scene in the start that was supposed to be realistic but was so laughably fake it was like inserting a cartoon scene in a real world movie.

It would be nice for them to follow the actual story line sometimes but I tend to look at movies like this as a remake of a new version of something old, and I don't really have a problem with that. It keeps a certain theme that I find interesting, even if it is essentially an entirely different story. I guess I accept "alternate universe" themes with other movies other than Star Trek a lot easier :p

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Reboots are fine if done well - "Evil Dead"
    Reboots are NOT fine if done badly - "Total Recall"

This looks like it will fall into the latter category purely off the trailer.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Can't wait. Looks cool as hell.

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Seems to lack the emotional centre of the original, and plotwise looks more akin to the dreadful sequels. Also, what the hell are 4th degree burns?

12. Ero-Sennin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Degree_Burn

Duh. Learn your burns brah.

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Beyond full thickness into the bone and such.

14. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm getting really tired of the 'reboot' phrase. In anime it's possible to have a lot of storylines which follow a similar style and plot while existing as completely different stories, just look at how many mecha series there are and yet Hollywood needs to steal the brand of a previously good idea, more cult than commercial hit and rather than reinvent it go with this 'reboot' for a new audience brought up in a completely different era of special effects and film editting styles. I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.

15. Ben Gash CLF

It gets worse than that. Many original script ideas are hacked into franchise sequels (Die Hard 2 off the top of my head).

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Well I'd buy that for a dollar.

17. Ben Gash CLF

18. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

It does look stupid compared to Robocop 1 & 2,.

watch it be PG-13. They gave him too much personality off the back, in the originals he gained it back slowly.

19. TheDog

TheDog Banned Banned

Trying not to whine too much, but:
    Isn't it about time somebody in hollywood came up with a original frigging idea? It's been nothing but comic book movies, sequels prequels and reboots for ages now and it's getting really old.

20. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

pacific rim...

also there's one i think is called gravity, about a guy who's working on a space station and accidentally gets untethered and the movie follows him as he floats in freefall, but i don't know if it's out yet.