Noobs MA journey.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by bluelotus, Apr 3, 2012.

1. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Okay a log seems like a wonderful idea to keep myself motivated plus get feedback. Not sure exactly how these things work so I'll just jump straight in and write whatever feels natural.

Goals:

#1 Increase flexibility. I don't think I've been able to touch my toes since I was about 15.

#2 Be more motivated, fit, organised, confident and happier in all aspects of life. I've heard and hope that martial arts will help with all of these in all aspects of life.

#3 Increase strength and stamina. About 6 hours into my job I always run out of stamina. Makes the last 2 hours very painful.

#4 Develop and maintain a healthy diet that will keep me energised throughout out the entire day. As previously stated running out of steam 3/4 through the day sucks big time in a physically demanding non stop active job.

#5 Always wanted to be able to put on a black belt :)

#6 Eliminate the constant lower back pain I suffer :mad:

All Feedback and constructive criticism most appreciated and welcome!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Some nice goals and things to work on there.

Welcome to MAP.

3. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Day 1. 03-04-12

Attended first Karate class last night. Class was a 3km bike ride away thought I should mention due to cardio involved. Class consisted almost entirely of meditation/energy talk/spirituality. Was interesting but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.

This morning I put in about an hours worth of practice at home. I obtained a book called "karate school" by Mas Oyama. If anyone has it on page 190 there is a bunch of general fitness warm up exercises (around 25). One hell of a warm up! For something only involving stretches I managed to work up quite a sweat and heart beat and I wouldn't call myself an incredibly unfit guy (not incredibly fit either though). Will do these stretches everyday as morning warm up and to help increase flexibility.

Also found this online and figured it was worth a shot http://hundredpushups.com/. After initial test I started at week 3 column 2. Did first two reps on my knuckles then did remaining reps in standard position. Only just made it to the end. Hurt like hell but felt good to push myself. Day of rest tomorrow then more push ups day after!

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

You don't need martial arts to do these

5. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Day 3 - 05-06-12

Today I again did the exercises from the book "karate school" They actually seemed easier second time around and I managed to hold a headstand for about 20 seconds! yay me.

Also proceeded to day two, week three of the 100 push ups program. Surprisingly I actually found it easier than day one despite the days schedule involving a higher number of pushups and me been sore and aching all over. Yay me again :) Quite happy with myself at this point.

Then I decided to go to Karate training on a Thursday night since I have the night off from work.

Absolute disaster! Long story short, the buses were against me the police decided to harass a guy walking down the street and blah blah blah the gods obviously did not want me to get to training tonight. Had similiar occurences on Tuesday night when I also tried to go to Karate training and didn't make it. Seems like I'm either
    a) not meant to go; or
    b) been tested or something to see how seriously I want to go.

Bah! Nevertheless I shall keep up my daily training at home and try to attend a class again on Monday.

6. Congrats on starting a training log BlueLotus, it is a great motivational and accountability tool. :)

Be supportive a little, will ya? :)

Osu!

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I am. I just like it to be known

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You like to talk to much.

Please remember that training logs are regulated slightly different to the other areas.
    We allow the log owner to request any edit they want within their posts.

OK is right. Support is what is required within the log. If someone is doing something wrong then it would be wise to point out where, otherwise things are perhaps best left alone.

9. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Okay after again trying to attend Karate class on Monday I arrived to find the school shut for Easter! Since this is the third time I have been met with failure in trying to sign up to this particular school. I am going to take it as a sign that it's not meant to be. I have found however another dojo teaching Goju-Ryu that is infact closer and cheaper. Seems to be well hidden as there was nothing about it on the internet and the only advertising I found was on a flyer on the community notice board. Will attend first class on Monday and see how that goes.

Am now up to week four of the 100 push ups program just completed day two which contains a total of 113 pushups!

Whilst stretching and warming up this morning I managed to achieve my first headstand without support from a wall! Only managed about 6 seconds but something to build upon.

Also during stretching I pulled a muscle/tendon/ligament somewhere on my leg. I think its the one the goes along the outside of my right knee. Can still hobble around but it hurts like hell to straighten my leg. I guess that means no more stretching for a few days:(

10. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Congrats on the great progress with the push ups!

11. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Thanks! But I think I'm gonna repeat week 4 and concentrate on perfect form. It's hard to tell without a mirror or something but I think I'm starting to cheat a little on the last 10 - 15 pushups. Gets pretty difficult towards the end and I figure perfect form is probably more important than rushing ahead.

12. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

If you have access to a camera or similar device, you could record yourself whilst you do the push ups, and just review the recording after to check the form. That by itself helped me out a lot, and by recording at different angles, you can get a better image.

13. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Last Night I did 149 push ups. Struggled bigtime though. Think I'll repeat week 4 of the program of maybe even go back to week 3 and really concentrate on 100% perfect form for each and every push up. No rush right?

This morning I did ab workouts borrowed from 6 minute ab couch thingie.

Knee ups X 60
    Leg raises X 30
    Leg cycles X 50
    Reverse crunch X 60
    Regular crunch X 30
    Hip thrusts X 50
    Cross crunch X 60
    Reach and touch X 50
    Cross leg reverse crunch X 75

Think I'll keep to that amount of reps for a couple of weeks without adding to it.

Next step is to buy a skipping rope for cardio.

14. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Warm up & Stretching - 10 Minutes

Push ups concentrating on 1000% absolute perfect form X 28

Knee ups X 40
    Leg Raises X 40
    Leg Cycles X 50
    Reverse Crunch X 30
    Regular Crunch X 30
    Hip Thrusts X 60
    Cross Crunch X 70
    Reach and Touch X 40
    Cross Leg Reverse Crunch X 70

Hope I haven't worn myself out to much for my first Goju class tonight.

15. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

Went to first class of Goju tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and can't wait to go back. Am glad all those attempts to go to Bushi-Kai failed. Very very happy with this style and dojo.

Lots of running, pushups, situps and lot of fluid lumps forming on my arms and legs already.

16. bluelotus

bluelotus Valued Member

15 minutes of warm up and stretching

Push ups X 72
    Knee ups X 40
    Leg Raises X 40
    Leg Cycles X 50
    Reverse Crunch x 30
    Regular Crunch X 30
    Hip Thrusts X 60
    Cross Crunch X 120
    Reach and Touch X 40