Noob Corner

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu Resources' started by xen, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Yes

:D

Each ryuha will have its own methodology and approach, I don’t just mean the ryuha of the Bujinkan now. It might be something small like the difference between thumb position of the left hand when the sword is in the saya. For example my understanding is that Tenshin shoden katori shinto ryu does this differently to Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.

On the other hand it may be something more drastic. Also you have to look at when the ryu was active i.e. was it developed for fighting against an armored opponent or one in more day to day wear?

This is from my limited understanding. The Bujinkan draws on a number of schools for its Kenjutsu and then of course you have the kenjutsu specific to certain ryu in the Bujinkan.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  2. MagnumJoe

MagnumJoe The Live Bullet

To Lord Spooky:

Wow that's bigger than i ever thought.
    I understand now why you are being annoyingly specific lol. It's your right.

The point is, i know about in chinese martial arts a lot more than japanese, and in chinese styles, you don't have these heaps of schools!

In each style you got at most about 2 or 3 schools, and you easily understand the difference: it mostly revolves around soft and hard, or a combination of both, and at the end, there isn't any problem using them all together. Schools are to be blended in many chinese styles.

It seems that in Japan the system is completely different. They stick radically to their schools.

3. martialexplorer

martialexplorer Valued Member

Hi there I suspect this question has already been asked before, apologies if this is the case. Has anyone here had any experience with Fuma ryu, ive just moved to a new area and apparently they have a dojo opening here soon. are they worth a look at or should I avoid them i know theres a lot of BS ninjutsu aaround and i dont want to get caught out.

Thanks in advance

4. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

This subject has been discussed in length here on MAP but suffice it to say they are cowboys and frauds, steer clear of them and find a dojo from one of the 'kans, where do you live by the way, we can help there too.

Cheers

5. martialexplorer

thanks for letting me know theres also a genbukan dojo somewhere near where i live in chelmsford however ive had trouble finding the details. im guessing that there one of the 'kans you mentionned so i think ill give them a go at some point

6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

7. martialexplorer

sounds like a good idea, it was what I was about to do anyways. thankyou for the suggestion tho

8. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

If you can make it i have a Bujinkan dojo in Harlow, just down the A414 from you, about 15 miles, the address is on my website below, we train monday nights 8-10pm, you'd be very welcome.

9. Bujin_Budoka

Bujin_Budoka Valued Member

Time and experience are the best teachers. They have taught me that the more I learn the less I know. The less I know the more teachable I am.

10. t_P

t_P New Member

Hello,

I am a guy who would like to start training Ninjutsu, but all the contradicting info on the internet has really gotten me confused so I'm hoping to get some answers here as I am well aware that not everything on the internet should be trusted.

A lot of people on the internet claim that the ninjutsu taught in today's dojos (Talking about Bujinkan specifically) is useless, a waste of time, not the real deal etc etc.
    I know that it's not treated as a traditional martial art but I do not know what to make of all the "not useful in real life at all" comments.

I'm a late starter (early 20's) and I unfortunately don't have any history of sport activities or any sort of physical exercise (Always been a study / book type) so my body strength, endurance and flexibility is severely lacking. I am not overweight though and I am focusing now on doing flexibility and strength exercises to get into somewhat of a shape before I actually start with any training. Is flexibility / strength of key importance in Ninjutsu and will it be a huge hindrance?

The dojo in my city (Sarajevo) is a Bujinkan one, but I have no idea which ryu or which disciplines are being done there. I know that none of the instructors have gotten the 5h mastery level (Is that the correct term?) and as such the dojo doesn't show up on sites like ninjutsu.com According to the instructor however, it is an official Bujinkan dojo with a written certificate from Masaaki Hatsumi, so I am inclined to believe that this is in fact the real deal?

Any clarification / tips on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

11. Canit

Canit Valued Member

Is this the dojo you are referring to?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsN_YxPhQsg&feature=related"] Ninjutsu Bujinkan klub NinpoEra Sarajevo [/ame]

12. t_P

t_P New Member

Yes that's it, but apart from Ninjutsu they offer a self-defense course so I would believe that that footage is more from that. The guy throwing the other one down in the first demonstration is the instructor.

13. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

I don't know about the rest of you but that is some really bad firearm retention

14. Manga

Manga Moved On

Those firearm disarms made the little baby Jesus cry :cry:

15. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I hope they never try that cartwheel business in a real fight. Hands occupied + head at knee level = broken face.

16. t_P

t_P New Member

So uh... bad? :p The other videos (part 2 and 4 specifically) also? But either way, seeing as it's the only dojo around and I'm in it mostly for exercise and recreation purposes, it's great. ^^ I just wanted to know what other people thought of it.

17. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Can someone explain what the other xkans are and how they came about?

18. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

This is one of those subjects that gets a lot of :whistle: or :mad:. I've seen a lot of stuff online when things were pretty hot and I have to say that the Genbukan and Jinenkan guys showed some very high-caliber fortitude and patience through it all. Aside from that, I'd say that the answer may take a while to come and that it should probably come via PM from people who are parts of these organizations.

I just saw your post up here and didn't want to leave you scratching your head as to the silence.

:hat:

19. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Okay, well I'm fairly open minded. While I realise that there are some experienced and high ranking ninpo budoka here my main goals as fairly new to ninjutsu are just to learn and improve. I can leave the discussion of how relevant the art is in the modern world, whether there should be some more realistic fighting in class and whether people are teaching authentic tasty budo to others :)

When I began training in Katate the two main Shotokan organisation were JKA (us) and SKI (them). Years later at uni I took up Taekwondo and of course there was the ITF (us) and WTF (them) but I don't really want to get bogged down in the us and them, I'd be interested in knowing why it came about and what the practical differences are just in case I was training in another club or on a seminar (if that isn't forbidden as I think I read in some cases it is).

20. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Bujingodai might be able to share some interesting perspective if he's so inclined. Also, have you checked out the other organizations' websites and anything they've posted on YouTube? I have a pretty positive impression of the Genbukan and the Jinenkan.

I can only say that Bujingodai seems like a pretty cool independent guy based off of what I've seen. Jinichi Kawakami's profile makes for some interesting reading too. Keeping an open mind is a good thing. It's unfortunate it isn't always a very popular thing.

Good luck with your research. :cool: