Noob Corner

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu Resources' started by xen, Aug 24, 2006.

1. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

From Hatsumi's Rokushaku Boujutsu DVD from Quest:

"There is for instance this Kukishin-ryu staff which has nine iron rings attached. Thus, it will stop when you slide it through your hands. So for a head strike, one may hold it here (grasps hold of bo between the inner most ring and the next), or stop the hand here and strike (moves hand along bo one more ring). Or stop at the last ring and strike (self-explanatory). This way you gradually move inside toward the opponent."

the rings are there as a way of measuring distance.

2. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

**Stupid Question Alert**

This may be a silly question but is "Budo Taijutsu" Ninjutsu or a form of ninjutsu or completely different?

Just at the club im going to tonight they teach 'Budo Taijutsu' and 'Goshin Ryu Ju-Jutsu'

Under the 'info' section of this website they seem to suggest that Budo Taijutsu and Goshin Ryu Ju-Jutsu are practically the same except Goshin Ryu is geared more toward self defence whereas Budo Taijutsu has more weapon training.

Exact Quote:

What would be best for me ?

Well, this depends on what you have in mind e.g. if you are primarily interested in general fitness and practical self-defence, then we would recommend our Ju-Jutsu classes. However, if you also want to learn about the handling of traditional weapons such as the sword, long and short stick, rope, etc. we would recommend the Budo Taijutsu classes.

Now is this normal for ninjutsu? Being from what i read 'Ju-Jutsu with weapons' ? Cheers.

3. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Quick answer:

The nine martial arts handed down by To*****ugu Takamatsu include three schools of ninjutsu and six other arts, some of which are related to ninjutsu but are not ninjutsu per se.

The nine schools together are known by the Bujinkan as Budo Taijutsu.

Other organisations that branched off from the Bujinkan, such as the Genbukan and Jinenkan do not use the term Budo Taijutsu, for example the Genbukan divides the schools into Ninpo Taijutsu and Kokusai Jujutsu.

There is a general feeling that you should learn as much from the non ninjutsu schools as possible before moving onto ninjutsu and Hatsumi Soke has taught very little of the ninjutsu but don't let this put you off, all the arts will most likely have been used by historical ninja and other warriors.

4. kev_mcg28

kev_mcg28 New Member

Hi all,
    I've been wanting to join a dojo for a while now in Dublin and I have a choice of two. Bujinkan or Genbukan. Can anyone tell me the difference and which i'd be best going with?

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

up to you mate, you can only make that decision, make sure its not BUJINKAN Brian dojo though, i hear there are a few good ones over there, what about Steve Byrne?

6. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

There`s a few in Dublin and as Greg says, the Bujinkan brian dojo is NOT Bujinkan, if you go to my website there are numerous links to the Irish Dojos, feel free to look and good luck.

7. MagnumJoe

MagnumJoe The Live Bullet

Few Questions:

Hi, i have some questions that are a bit radical:

1- Does Ninjutsu has a set of virtues and a code like Bushido? Or is it the same? Or is that not any more in modern days? And believe me i've searched and didn;t find an answer for that.

2- Are there differences between the way and style of the Katana or particularly the Wakizashi and the Ninjato? Or there aren't?

8. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Hi MJ, it would be best to think of the virtues of ninjutsu as similar to those of Buddhism, in that you should always try to do the right thing and not just stick to a set of limited rules on a stone tablet or an old scroll due to all the loopholes that rigid rules allow. Historically though it is interesting to see the societal circumstances in which the Japanese martial arts flourished and you could start with reading Hagakure although it was written in relatively peaceful times and not during the preceding warring states period.

As for the swords, there are methods suited to one type or the other and methods suited to any size of sword. Forget about ninjato if you mean straight bladed swords though, as they are not strictly historically accurate as ninja swords, even though straight swords of a sort did exist.

9. MagnumJoe

WOW! That's a surprise to me! So the sword Ninja carried wasn't necessarily a straight sword but it was variable? Mmmm.. From you answer i deduce that for example, there is a way for the Katana, a way for the wakizashi, and a way that suits both? And if there is a way for the Katana, is different from Kendo?

Thanks for the info really, that was deeply helpful.

10. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Kendo is a sport and means of personal development/developing character which has its roots in the techniques of traditional Japanese swordsmanship (Kenjutsu).

You would best best asking for a comparison with Kenjutsu from other schools.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  11. MagnumJoe

I meant Kenjutsu of course. And Kendo includes Kenjutsu.

12. Lord Spooky

No Kendo is something else it is not Kenjutsu.

13. MagnumJoe

Yeah, in Kendo, they fight with match sticks but in Kenjutsu, they fight with forks.

I meant the "damn sword fighting thing in japan"! I meant the "techniques & concepts"! I don't freakin' care about the context of training!

Can't you for once be helpful instead of displaying your knowledge to inflate your ego??? God!!!

14. Lord Spooky

We've been here before now give it a rest. If you want to discuss martial arts then please use the correct terminology if you don’t know the correct terms then please be prepared for people to tell you what they are so that we can all be on the same page.

If you are not prepared to be corrected then you shouldn't post. Your insecurity is going to get in the way of a good discussion again.

Kendo is not Kenjutsu there are many many differences between the two, end of story. You can not use the names for the arts interchangeably. It would be like talking about a motorbike when you really mean a car. Yes they both go on the road and carry people but they are not the same thing and have different purposes.

This is not about my knowledge or my ego in fact I would say your little rants have more to do with you own feeling of self worth than my perceived superiority complex.

You have stated something incorrectly now we can not discuss the subject if you are saying one thing but meaning another because you don't understand the correct name or terms for the subject matter.

We can not talk about Kendo and really mean Kenjutsu it does not work that way. It would be like me talking about Egypt but really meaning Iraq, what we can’t do that but don’t they both have sand?

Surley you can see my point

A quick example would be that in Kendo you “cut” at the area protected by armor but in Kenjutsu you are taught to do the opposite you go for the area without protection.

In Kenjutsu your goal is to kill the other guy that is not the case in Kendo.

Kendo is not Kenjutsu. If you wish to discuss Kendo then call it Kendo if you wish to discuss Kenjutsu then call it Kenjutsu. If you don't know the difference then listen to those that do.

Do not throw your teddy out the pram because you can’t stand being told you are wrong.

Now to be frank I’m sick of these hissy fits you keep throwing whenever someone tells you that you are wrong or have a misunderstanding of something.

15. MagnumJoe

I am not upset because i feel wrong, but actually, none of you, has corrected me in a polite, courteous & generous way, that's the problem. And you don't know how much i hate this attitude. I have to admit, that you are the most wise & generous, but still you need some improvements.

And you and your friends need to work on that A LOT! This was the problem the last time, and the problem this time. Cause i've seen much better treatment in other fora, when asked very stupid questions. MUCH better treatment! You are weird guys!

I know i don't know much about these arts, and i know there is a difference, but exactly what is the difference: i didn't know.

And my question is still not in the field you stated. My question is precisely: is there a difference between: stances, sword holds, attack strategies, defense strategies?

16. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

First things first.

MagnumJoe, please conduct yourself with a more pleasant attitude and don't throw teddy from the pram every time someone corrects you.

Spooky is correct. Kendo and Kenjutsu are not the same thing. They do contain some common elements but they are not the same thing. But the best place for such a discussion would be in the Weapons forum where I am sure you will find many experienced practitioners of both arts.

Finally, yes. The methodologies of using the various swords differs greatly, especially when you start to examine the mindset/psychology. But the only way to really get that is by training with a good instructor as I'm sure you'll agree.

Oh one other thing sorry. While books such as Hagakure and Bushido are very interesting, one should be aware of some tremendous flaws and assumptions in them. Do some research on this and you'll see what I mean.

17. MagnumJoe

The "teddy" is not about Kendo and Kenjutsu.
    And i didn't say he is wrong.
    And my question isn't the difference between Kendo and Kenjutsu.

Nevermind.

18. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Spook DID correct you in a polite way.

Now, as far as your last question - I have way too little experience of sword work in the Bujinkan (and even less - in fact, none - from kenjutsu schools) to give an accurate answer. But in my humble mind, and this may be completely wrong - anyone who knows better feel free to correct me - in ninjutsu weapons are often used in more unorthodox ways. But that doesn't mean we don't "learn" orthodox ways, which we also do. (But that differs from dojo to dojo, etc etc etc).

I don't know if that made any sense, but I think it covers my limited view of it.

19. MagnumJoe

Mmmmm... Can you suggest a source of information?

And in general, i got what you are saying. In a sense of general layout.

20. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Well, you could check out Sôke Hatsumi's book "Japanese Swordfighting - Secrets of the Samurai" :)