Non-Sport orientated Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Jim, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

Anyone had any experience with a non-sport orientated Judo style? We train in this type but have had no luck in finding others who are similar.

I like the physical challenges of Randori and find it to be extremely practical in building up fitness levels and confidence, but we do not train for medals, trophies, etc. and competition is not the 'ultimate' as far as we are concerned.

Any thoughts?

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

My Tai Jitsu Instructor practice Kyushin Judo for years, which is basically the combat grappling that was taught to GI's in Japan after the war, the one's that didn't practice Karate that is ;)

Also there's a British Judo Council Instructor in my Aikido class, and he teached Judo as a Self Defence style rather than a sporting style, I'll see if I can find out more info for you Jim.

Thanx

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Thanks FF.

I've yet to find anyone else who does this. Any contacts you could give would be appreciated. I even tried the judoinfo.com site but no go.

Jim

Ps - Thought about putting any more photo's on the gallery?

4. Chlo

Chlo New Member

Zen Judo

I train in Zen Judo, which is a traditional non-competetive style. It is good in many respects, and growing, although when I first joined they were swapping from BJA and so we still competed which I did enjoy. Most of the emphasis is on learning techniques properly in a safe way. We do a lot of Randori etc, and have very few injuries

Our club website has some more info about it, and also some useful links I think :)

http://members.tripod.com/gordonlawson/

Hope this helps,

Chlo

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Hey FF, any more information yet?

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Damn! Sorry Jim, I was at a cross-training seminar with him a few weeks ago and completly forgot to ask him!

Their website is not yet fully up and running but you can find it at

www.britishjudocouncil.org/

Col

7. Jim

Jim New Member

Thanks, no urgency - just for interest is all.

8. AikiSamurai

AikiSamurai New Member

I wanted to find a dojo or a club that is non-sport oriented, but it's so tough to find it in my area, but some Judo is better than no Judo at all.