[Non FC] How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Llamageddon, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

This question posed by Rob Redmond of 24 fighting chickens fame is one of the perennial questions, which I think would be pretty interesting to chat about.

You'll see I've made it specific to non full contact forms of karate (obviously because there's not really a 'too much' setting in FC). So for those of us who train in the other versions (i.e. all the okinawan & Japanese ones), how much is too much contact?

For me if we spar and I don't come out bruised something has gone wrong. I like to take the odd hit, and I like to give the odd hit, but we still operate within the general rules of no-to-light contact (i.e. you can hit the body to an extent, but don't hit the head - possibly sometimes slap them round the side of the face!) where the head is a target theoretically

Things can get heated (obviously we tailor the level of contact and agression to who we're fighting), and there will then obviously be a higher level of contact (and maybe more injuries), but that's an unspoken agreement between the two guys fighting.

Oh, I should probably mention the only protection we use is our gis

So what's it like in your club?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i trained from white belt using contact even in basic kihon exchanges. sparring with gumshield and small mitts (i hate the round ones they use in sport karate though. i like my gloves thin) and maybe an optional groin guard, contact depending on who's fighting who, but i tend to prefer medium contact (had little exposure to full contact sparring, don't have the conditioning to regularly take FC hits yet, but i enjoyed it).

i can more or less do sundome but i prefer hitting, as there are always accidents and cut lips and stuff. better to just go with light or medium contact and wear a gumshield, IMO.

3. Llamageddon

sorry - sundome?

4. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

It's too much when something/someone gets broken or seriously damaged. Otherwise fair game :)

For the record we spar similar to what you're saying, except we almost always tend to end up sparring with plenty of body contact and the odd head contact if both people are brown belt or above. The head stuff is usually palming or a spinning backfist which you should've seen coming anyway :p So generally medium contact sparring. Kicks to the head are alright, but as an unspoken agreement we don't throw any that would knock each other out. Plus half of the senior grades are...well, senior. (not very flexible)

We also wear mouthguards.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

stopping before contact. the thingy that karate dojo use and presumably the main cause of all the "pulled punches" accusations and of today's sport karate kumite, and which the guys at the jka supposedly use and then beat each other silly anyway :p.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

We have two types.

Non-padded for more control. Some mild bruising and sanguinary.

Padded. For head gear, we prefer the pugilist style. More heavy duty. Punching hard is a goal and punching hard trying to connect with a moving target develops a defensive skill

7. osu,

The question applies to FC as well... there is no way to go 100% in the dojo & for sparring to be useful for both partners, there has to be an agreed level of contact.

WOW, no cups & no mouthguards..... you guys are hard core! :D

Osu!

8. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

depends on the dojo: if your dojo is like mine (i'd call in medium contact[clean technique, control to the face and whatever to the body, low kicks and not on but it's understood **** can happen sometimes] ). really KOing someone with the mitts on (I use the round WKF ones, Most Competitions here don't allow anything else) is too much contact. Winding your opponent is too much and malliciously trying to hurt your opponent is not on.

9. Llamageddon

I'd say this sounds about right with our club.

Fred, I like the idea of being hardcore :p but I don't think we really are. We still show a lot of control and as a general rule try not to make too much contact... most of the time... ;)