No rest for the wicked (at least in the summer).

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Aldwyn, May 18, 2012.

1. Aldwyn

Aldwyn New Member

So tomorrow i'm going to reboot my training. I've took a week off, so i'm very refreshed and can't wait to get back to training. This will be the first time i try a properly structured strength program, but i'm not a complete novice, and have been stalling with the weights for quite some time. Since i'll be away from home, and won't do any boxing/wrestling (which might have been the reason i didn't progress with weights since last summer), i can focus on my strength.

Stats: 23 years old, 76.5 kg/169lbs (was 75.5 prior to the week off, which was also off from diet :rolleyes:) at 175 cm/ 5'9'', some of that is fat that i would like to loose eventually, but not extremely much, i'd estimate about 15-16%, but that's a wild guess.

I will make a deload on all weights, and start the Madcow Intermediate/Bill Star Linear programm with some small alterations. I'll lift on Tuesdays-Thursdays-Saturdays instead of MWF for reasons of conviniece, and my 1st workout will be tomorrow (Sat), so i have 2 days to recover from soreness after a week's pause (i also simply can't wait for the next Tuesday..)).

The 5 RMs are 85kg(185lbs) on bench press, 52.5kg(115lbs) on overhead press, 110kgs (240lbs) on squat, 72.5kgs (160lbs) on barbell row.

I don't know my RMs on push press and power clean, that will be present in the programm, so i will start light, work on technique and later see what i can do. Assuming something the maxes about 60kgs on both is pretty safe i think, since last time i checked i can pseudo "clean" (shrug from hang followed by a supinated grip curl) 50kg for more than 10 reps.

For the record i can also currently deadlift about 110-120kgs 1x5 classical style, the alltime record was a 185kg single, but that was long ago and i don't do deadlifts much anymore because they cause me lower back problems.

I also considered substituting barbell rows with weighted pull-ups (current 5RM best is +20kgs on 75kg bodyweight), since i really like to do them, but decided i've tapered too much already. I will do them with low weights on Thursday as assistance though (allowed in the programm officially).

So the week looks like:

Tuesday

Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Rows 5x5
    Core

Wednesday

Thursday

Squat 4x5
    Overhead press 4x5
    Power cleans 4x5
    (Weighted) Pull-ups 3x8

Friday

Saturday

Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    Push press 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    Rows 4x5, 1x3, 1x8
    (Weighted) Dips 3x8
    Barbell curls 3x8

Sunday

Monday

I will also be swimming like 3xWeek for 45 minutes or so, low intensity, within 130-140 bpm. The measure of my success with it will be my resting BPM by the end of summer, currently it is about 54-56, i'd like to see it below 50.

I'd also be interested in some sort of conditioning program, but can't find a way to work it in without harming recovery from weights..

As for the diet, i do not plan to restrict calories, i aim to eat pretty clean though, sort of a Paleo diet, but i can eat dairy and oatmeals. A cheat meal once a weak maybe. I'm not used to eating fruit/vegetables/nuts in the amounts that i'm going to have to on the Paleo diet, so we'll see how it works out.

Oh, and i will take creatine, so it will probably affect weight gains.

As an example, today's diet:

Breakfast (9-30 AM) - 3 eggs, an apple, low fat milk. (usually oats would be here, i ran out of them.. :mad:)

Snack (11-30 AM) - mixed nuts with dried prunes. I looked at the nutritients on the package and was sorta shocked that i narrowly avoided eating over 1000 kcal, since these nuts (cashew, almonds) are about 600 kcal per 100g.. Luckily ate only about 100g + some prunes.

Some more low fat milk in between.

Lunch (3-00 PM) - sauteed chicken breast, salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, greens, eggs, no oil).

Snack (5-30 PM) - orange, more milk.

Dinner (9-00 PM) - carrots, about 200g lean beef, a little cheese.

Pre-bed (11-30 PM) - cottage cheese.

There will be more food once the training begins probably.. More carbs, oats, bananas post work-out, more milk.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. Aldwyn

Aldwyn New Member

The measure of progress will be increasing weights, lowering bpm, and maybe visual alterations, though i'm unsure as to what will those be, shall i gain or loose mass? It's not a goal in itself, so we'll see how it goes. This is how i look (a photo is about 2-3 weeks old, i'm a bit fatter in reality now, some 2-3% bodyfat more):

[​IMG]

3. Aldwyn

Aldwyn New Member

4. Aldwyn

Aldwyn New Member

Just finished the 1st workout. What I learned from it:

1) Rows after squats and push presses stress the lower back bit too much. Considering replacing them with weighted pull-ups on Intensity days, while keeping them on Volume (after bench press).

2) Weighted dips with enough weight to feel it are painful for the shoulders. Ended up replacing them with dumbbell bench press instead (3x8 also).

Squat 50, 60, 70, 80 x5, 90x3, 70x8 (weight in kgs)
    Push press 32.5, 37.5, 42.5, 47.5 x5, 52.5x3, 42.5x8
    Rows 40, 45, 50, 55 x5, 62.5x3, 50x8
    Dumbbells 26kg each 3x8 bench press
    Dumbbel 14 kg each 3x8 curls (back to wall)

5. Aldwyn

Aldwyn New Member

Food for Saturday (20.05.2012):

1)Breakfast (9-30 AM): Oats, apple, milk.
    2)Post-workout (12 AM): 1l Milk + banana.
    3)Lunch (3 PM): about 300g grilled chicked breast, veggies
    4)2nd Lunch o_O hunger kicks in (5-30 PM): 4 scrambled eggs with corned beef, tomatoes, olives. Orange.
    5)Snack (7-30 PM): nuts, dried prunes, milk.
    6)Snack (9 PM): unsweetened yoghurt+banana slices.
    7)Pre-bed (12 PM): cottage cheese.

Sunday (21.05.2012):

Feeling light DOMS in the shoulders and upper back. Lower back did surprisingly well yesterday, no pain at all. Extremely hungry. Off to cardio now, after breakfast (since i've not yet left for the seaside for summer, and can't swim, it will be elliptical, since i don't wont extra stress on the legs with all the squats i'm going to do next week. 45 min LSD).