No Nonsense

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by puma, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Isn't life just swell? :D

Puma m8, glad you explained the mix up. Can't have you ignoring the wrong post ... but seeing as you have established a connection with FQ via this forum, why not re-read what he's already said?

You know, he's nearly as brill as me ... and I'm also such a nice fellow, plus I'm a genyouwine ultra grand master to boot (just promoted myself to 19th Degree last week actually! Now THAT's HOT).

2. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

BTW .. I thought that 'internal connectedness' means that you haven't just crapped your pants.

When the sphincter is tight and the Qi circulates through the great meridian passing through the 7 gates of the zhing-a-ding girdle ... the movement will have power ... the shock waves of which emanate like in the movies ... and don't get me started on breath control or the 10 Essentials ...

... or you could take the blue pill ... roflmao, don't mind me ... I'm jes a mad idjit!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

LOL...never forget to put your anal locks on, especially before engaging in forums. :evil:

4. DragonPrawn

DragonPrawn Valued Member

One of my Masters student took that too far.

Lets just say there was nothing in the house he couldn't open. :)

5. Twonk

Twonk New Member

Hi Puma
    Sorry for late reply (wasn't on internet over weekend).
    I have found with this guy through painful experience, that the harder I go in the more his technique works the reaction is like an electric shock. Now I'm wary when attacking.
    When demonstrating a technique normally we would attack easy so that the technique can be understood. Occasionally he''ll say full power and at first I'd think great and go for it and end up flattened.
    A case in point is a kick in the form. We are currently going through every move in the form in detail. I have asked a few times about this kick and that I can't see how you can get power into it, but I could never understand the answer and as stated was very cynical that it was effective. Being applied very close in I just couldn't see it doing any damage.
    However now that he demonstrated it on me, and seemingly doing very little I felt it right through me. It hurt like hell. I have been kicked many times through the years, had ribs broken etc. but never felt anything like this.
    Unfortunately I am not competent to explain it. I have also been put on my **** in push hands with rediculous ease, but push hands I find hard to get to grips with, it's very difficult not to compete and I haven't got my head around it yet.

6. puma

puma Valued Member

Thanks Twonk. And thanks Slovenly Zhang.

You mentioned being rooted. Is this similar to a boxer 'planting his feet', or the position a Judoka will seek to throw? (bad examples maybe, but you get the idea). Or is it something unique too Tai Chi? Can you be rooted on the move?

7. Slovenly Zhang

Slovenly Zhang Valued Member

About boxing and Judo, I can't say as I have no experience with that training.

Rooting is certainly not unique to Taijiquan. All martial arts having rooting to some degree (so it could certainly be what you were refering to in boxing and judo!). Certainly, within the Chinese martial arts it is emphasised to a high degree, and Taijiquan places a great deal of emphasis on it.
    Rooting is the ability to be "immovable" - what this means in literally terms is that it is very difficult for an opponent to push, pull or throw you off balance, because your "root" is stretching down into the ground like the root of a tree.
    You can certainly be rooted whilst on the move, and this comes from "differenciating between solid and apparent", one of Yang Chengfu's 10 essentials. Obviously you won't be as stable as you would be with both feet planted firmly on the floor, but it will still be hard for you to be manouvered against your will whilst stepping.

-Bill

8. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

What do you mean by "differenciating between solid and apparent"?

9. Slovenly Zhang

Slovenly Zhang Valued Member

Distinguishing between Solid and Apparent (or Full & Empty) is one of the 10 essentials of Taijiquan.

"When one’s weight is on the right, the right leg becomes substantial and the left leg insubstantial, or vice versa. When one is able to distinguish the difference, one will be able to turn and move with lightness and effortlessness. If not, any steps will be sluggish and unstable and can easily be unbalanced by others."

10. puma

puma Valued Member

Makes sense. Thanks.

11. weiliquan

weiliquan Valued Member

O.K. thanks, That's what I thought you meant.