No Grappling?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSN_Princess, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Humbleseeker

Humbleseeker Valued Member

Hello pointy Yes I believe we do both. example when we do grappling we line up facing each other on our knees and practice submissions and getting into dominate positions. and trying to get out of them. It is fun I am a true white belt though I just get in there and try. The sparing is stand up gloves light contact. In the month I have been going maybe 15 classes we probably sparred 10 of those times and did ground 5 times. They do a lot more stand up, but I think it is good that there is a focus on ground practice.

2. MikeNebgen

MikeNebgen Valued Member

Im guessing you are at Master Jan Butlers School... His grappling and groundwork is BY FAR better than ANYONE in Kuk Sool.
    I have had him at my school for seminars and he is terrific ...
    in your case your kuk sool experience will be an extreme exception to the normal kuk sool won experience when it comes to that aspect of training.. most KS people are not good at grappling or groundfighting at all !

lucky you

3. Humbleseeker

Humbleseeker Valued Member

Yes I am at Master Jan Butlers school. I am very honored to be able to be trained under him.

4. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

The best grappler I have ever seen with a Kuk Sool background is John Frankl. I believe he was a 2nd degree WKSA black belt under Byung In Lee right about to test for 3rd degree when Master Lee departed California. Frankl moved to Boston, obtained a PhD at Harvard, obtained a BJJ black belt and moved to Korea to teach. He is currently the most senior BJJ practitioner in all of Korea.

I believe there are some other former Kuk Sool practitioners who have taken up BJJ and have now risen to sufficient rank to teach. They would be great sources for anyone who would like to add groundfighting to their Kuk Sool knowledge.