No Gi Open

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by hewho, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Default gold FTW!

2. Dead_pool

It's being rescheduled, you get automatic entry to it, and if you can't make it a full refund of entry fees!

Mushroom likes this.
  3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

It's a beautiful world!! At this point I'd probably pull a sickie to go to it :) Fair play to the organisers, cant fault that.

Mushroom likes this.
  4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Well, it's on the 4th of February, and not only am I excited for the comp, it's about 1.5 miles away from Strength Asylum, which is where Eddie Hall trains, and they do a pay as you go, so I'm going to visit there after and go for a new dead lift PB, as long as I'm not too beat up :) Had some decent rolls last night, although I did get legitimately thrown through the air, when I got lazy trying to transition from mount to side on a giant!

axelb, Knee Rider and Mushroom like this.
  5. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Training is going alright, changed my game a little to try and work X-Guard more, been hitting more sweeps and transtions. Rolled the guy from my gym who is in the same category, thinking I'd just take it easy and play guard, and actually feel happy, because not only did he feel the need to try and smash me, but when he did start to pass I either retained, or got a sub attempt. Got some good stand up done with the instructor, working arm drag to back take to takedown.

Knee Rider and Mushroom like this.
  6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You going for the 2on1, back take?

7. hewho

hewho Valued Member

If you mean that, no.
    Arm drag to a suplex type grip, but then a simple turn and trip take down. Can end up mount or back take depending on the way you fall. I'll see if I can get it filmed next time I'm doing a casual roll.

Knee Rider likes this.
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

More like that one. Aka Russian Arm Ties. I like 'em.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I do what you described a lot, but usually end up in sidecontrol top. If I end in back mount I usually feel something has gone wrong and proper control is a struggle to establish due to the double unders (rather than seatbelt) and the alignment of hips for the hooking legs.

hewho likes this.
  10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Yeah, back wouldn't be my first choice, but if it's back or disengage, I'd go for back.

Knee Rider likes this.
  11. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Well, I lost (or learnt ;) )
    Didn't manage to apply my takedown strategy, got takedown down but retained guard, they went for a standing pass and I hit the sweep, equalising points, but I didn't manage to establish position, moved to sloppily. Entered a scramble for position, back into my guard. I was then much too passive, should have worked on breaking posture and controlling, but instead allowed him to control my arm, which he used to pull me over him and sub me (possibly an Americana, hoping for some video footage).
    So, I know what to work on, back to training on Wednesday, next martial arts related event will be a local 'Strike and Grapple' type tournament, which is gi based. (Combat JuJitsu)

Mushroom, Dead_pool, axelb and 3 others like this.
  12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Thanks for the update. You're an awesome dude just for doing it -- and moreso for sharing a "learning experience." :):):)

hewho likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

Well done for competing!

I think I maybe reading this wrong.....
    How did he sweep/pull you over him. If you were the bottom guard player?

hewho likes this.
  14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Thanks both! Nah, you read it right, I massively messed up somehow, probably a mixture of bad posture and not being on the ball enough (very, very good strength on his part too!) Next thing I knew I was not where I had been, and my arm was not where it should be! All part of the fun.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I've got hold of a video!
    I was wrong, I was in his guard at the time of submission! Funny what you remember and don't.
    Looking back at it properly, it seems to be a string of mistakes on my part. Rather than playing my grappling game looking for arm drags and singles I got caught up in a battle for the clinch, then got lazy because I was dragging his head. Got lazy again, looking for the easy finish of a guillotine without setting it up properly, result, his takedown. The sweep is the only thing I'm happy with, and even then I need to work on my follow up. Let him control me in his guard, and got subbed.

16. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Your mistakes aren't "lazy" in this match at all, quite the opposite. You're too full of nervous energy and rushing to attack without maintaining good position.

hewho likes this.
  17. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Not lazy as in slow, more like not thinking about it properly, and not trying to assert my gameplan. Yeah, I had WAY more of an adrenaline rush than I expected, need to compete more regularly, try and lose the nerves.

PointyShinyBurn and Mushroom like this.