No Gi Open

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by hewho, Nov 28, 2017.

1. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Competing on the 10th of December, in Birmingham. First No Gi comp I've done, after about 8 months training, and first grappling competition since October 2015, looking forward to diving back in! Focus in training has been on retaining a top position, trying to move like my JJJ sensei. Bit nervous, but excited too.

axelb, Mitch and Mushroom like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you've been grappling since 2015, will you be competing in the over 2 years experience category?

3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I did spend a fair bit of time debating it, but with the break I've taken in training and competing, and the low amount of training time I get per week I put myself down in the first category, I feel it's a more accurate reflection of my abilities and performance in class. If I feel like I set the bar too low, I'll move up a category for my next one.

4. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Having said that, if the general consensus here is to move up, I'll move up, I don't want to be accused of sandbagging.

5. Dead_pool

Well it's up to you, but if you've been training under your teacher that amount of time consistently, then it's only fair to enter the correct division.

Does the comp run under belt category too?

If so, entering the white belt, as a white belt is the more correct thing to do.

6. Dead_pool

BJJ British Open

Based on training 3 times per week on IBJJF Guidlines

Current Belt (if applicable) or equivalent Total Training Time (estimated)
    Beginner (White) 1 year & 2months
    Intermediate (Blue) Up to 3 years
    Advanced (Purple) Up to 4.5 years
    Elite (Brown) Up to 6 years
    Elite (Black) 6 years or more.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Aye, but he doesn't specifically train in BJJ at all. He trains in JJJ and rolls at open mats every now and again. IMO he doesn't meet the criteria for blue belt technically.

8. Dead_pool

That'll be why I said the above, and posted the comps guidelines for training amounts too.

However, if he thinks training JJJ under a BJJ whitebelt is good enough for training, then it should count towards experience for competition catagories too.

(I'm sure he's also said he's training legit nogi and judo now too)

In this case it still ends up being the whitebelt category though.

Hence why I posted the comp guidence.

9. hewho

hewho Valued Member

JJJ get about 1 session with 2-4 rounds of rolling a week, and 40ish minutes of drilling probably 40 weeks of the year
    No-Gi specific, 1 session with 30-40 minutes of drilling per week for roughly 8 months, with a month and a half gap while prepping for, and recovering from, a physique contest.
    Haven't made it to Judo at all, although @Dead_pool is correct that I had planned to. No Gi changed to the same night.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

So two years of once a week, plus six months of once a week =

104 + 26 = 130 sessions.

Which is less then the upto 3 x 60 (180) sessions for ibjjf guidelines bluebelt catagory.

So just going by hours since 2015 your still in the white belt category, but could go in the bluebelt depending on prior 2015 experience, as it's your first comp though, white sounds about right.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Depends on how you feel against blue/nearly blue belts?

I could barely tap 4 stripe whites. And chances are you will be going up against those who tend to be given a blue belt when they win comps etc.

12. hewho

hewho Valued Member

My session of no Gi is mostly people who are at white belt at other clubs, about 8-12 months in to training, although I don't know everyones background. They are just starting to compete and attend for the sparring. I feel like we're fairly evenly matched, the heavier/stronger guys tap me more than I tap them, the closer it gets to my weight the more it evens out, which is why I'm thinking compete at white belt for this one, and see where to go from there.

Mushroom likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

My thoughts are that you should always compete in your correct catagory re time training or belt, whichever is higher, otherwise if everyone only competes where they think they can medal, no one gets a fair match.

As it's ibjjf, make sure you read the rules!

hewho likes this.
  14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Yeah, if I was dominating newer guys in training, I'd have gone straight for blue. I'm not in it to medal, a win would be good, but I just want to test where I'm at, and what I'm learning. If I win, cracking, I'll go blue for the next one.

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

How do these experience categories work?

Is it based on someone training daily?

I barely get by against whitebelts despite a long training history but low frequency at various clubs (there are whitebelts who train daily and have better mat experience)

16. Dead_pool

Its based on these guidelines.

So belt level or if you have no belt, an estimated training amount, based on x3 a week.

Mangosteen likes this.
  17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Herp derp my bad

18. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Well, today would have been the day, but SNOW way (see what I did there? ;) ) can my car get to Birmingham in this weather. Amber warning all day both for Birmingham and my area. Bit gutted, but don't want to risk my neck driving there, there's always another one. Good luck to anyone else competing there today, and stay safe everyone

19. Dead_pool

They've cancelled the event too!
    So at least you'll get a refund/free entry next time!

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I suggested he goes and attend and win the Absolute by way of no attendance. :p

Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.