No-Gi Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Pretty In Pink, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

^ Come on, mate - I only pick on you 'cause I like you!

Oh I know, I know. That's what makes it fun. :evil:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Belerephon's horse I believe, sorry mate, maybe you can challenge him to a Nudo Fight for the mount?

3. watts

watts Valued Member

Only once have we done something at the club that approaches No-Gi training, the coach told us all to take our Gi jackets off and have a few rounds of newaza, it was an interesting experience trying to get submissions, chokes or hold downs without a Gi being there but we all felt a bit uncomfortable really, I know in some combat sports bare chested men rubbing aginst each other is part of normal training but none of the lads were that keen on it really, so it has not happened againe since.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

damn man. even wrestling does do that...
    Gi work is get for sharpening escapes and defensive and makes you a little more creative but no-gi is best for offensive.

you dirty boy

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

My Instructor says that if you only do no-gi you are only half a grappler.

Can't believe I started a sentence with "my Instructor says...."

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

The one i got from instructors was:
    "Master the gi and you'll master no-gi"

The gi should be seen as more of a training tool than anything else.

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That makes good sense though and no issue with telling us the source.
    Personally I live in a climate where the temperature is cold enough to warrant jackets for 8 months. If you're actually fighting someone and they grab your jacket or you can grab theirs it's good to know how to deal with that.
    And much as I might not like to admit it sometimes the slippery snow and ice do necessitate newaza training. I saw more schoolyard fights go to the ground in highschool because you really disrupt your base trying to punch on very slippery ground.

8. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Same goes for my experience in pubs and clubs. Well, at least the ones with slippery dancefloors and 'orrible wet carpets.

Now that I come to think of it, sticky carpets might actually be a bonus for WC exponents! ;)

9. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I don't think so. Something which retards the movements of my feet would be bad. In that case, it was REALLY sticky, I'd rather go to the ground where mobility wouldn't be such an issue.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  10. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Cool, I'll be Perseus!

11. Pretty In Pink

Aha, well I think the gi is important. I also think it's necessary for learning all aspects in submission grappling. So I don't tend to agree with places or MMA fighters that only train no-gi.

12. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That's part of training for the sport though. Although what I think they should do is make the guy doing offense train with a gi on (but not allowed to use it to assist with pins and locks) and the other guy without one. That way you don't get used to using your own or your opponent's gi and when you go without one in a match you can blast through their defense because you're used to being restricted more.
    I know the first time I tried no gi training it was like "woo hoo they can't stop me." No gi is also one of the reasons I picked up the lockdown from Eddie Bravo's system. I was using it on people and no one understood why they couldn't just yank out of my half guard :)

13. Pretty In Pink

Eddie Bravo! As far as I know nobody has a "strong" opinion of him either way! I do enjoy some of these MENTAL tricks that you see though.

14. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

His techniques took my guard and half guard from being a bad position to a great position. I beat a wrestler who outweighed me by about 100 lbs using the electric chair submission from half guard.

15. Pretty In Pink

Well I have Combat Submission Wrestling, pushing the limits of gamesmanship. :p

16. watts

watts Valued Member

Yer in fact it would be good to do some no-gi training more regulary at the Judo club I go to, with rash guards instead of Gi jackets, as it is a interesting experience not having the Gi there to use as for one example it removes the Gi chokes straight away (which we use a lot), but I can not see that happening, as like many Judo coaches mine are pretty much old school and stuck in their ways a bit.

17. Pretty In Pink

Well as was stated in my OP I want a no-gi Judo class. S why does nobody really teach it? Frodo posted a video and that was BRILLIANT.

Also, I testify to the Judoka = Gi chokes D:

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

of course the counter arguemnet is if you start no gi you are ahead of the curve and dont need to learn different grips hold for submisions when you dont have a nice thick jacket to grab ;)

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

its surprising how many chokes you can pull off using a t-shirt :D

20. Pretty In Pink

Well if you had never been in a gi, then you don't know any grips, do you? There is also a lot of chokes and sweeps that you are vulnerable to.

So still half a grappler.