"No Gi Judo" Videos thread

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Done-Gone, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Bumped-Up in age & weight

Spikey was bumped-up in age & weight, due to lack of competition in his own division (other than JP).

The voice you here in the back-ground is the dad, NOT me.

Please watch the results and comment:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnGJOvAlfYU"]YouTube - Spikey's first Gi match @ Iron Fighter's Call Out on 12/18/10[/ame]

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Ok, but in a tournament, he would get exactly zero credit for doing cartwheels and rolls unless its an x-treme tournament. And I tend to look at real world applications, not for show. Somehow I can't see Brock Lesnar or George St. Pierre doing a cartwheel in the octagon without getting his face bashed in. For a kid, its good showmanship I suppose.

3. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

I agree. However, it is NOT a real fight or a UFC match, its a grappling match. Not with Brock or St P., but with 12, 13 and 14 year olds.

His friends were there and he wanted to show off a little. Were you ever 13?

4. Kwajman

Well I guess you should be very proud of him then!

5. Bear187

Bear187 New Member

I just came across this forum and this video and I feel I have to say this. First! Coming from a strong background in Judo,Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling, No-Gi Grappling & even Kenpo and Boxing.

Kwajman and Seventh dont really know what they are taking about. NO DISRESPECT INTENDED.

Not only are cartwheels used in College Level Wrestling Matches these days, they are still effective at a high percent. Even Capoeira has been effective in real life matches.

I think I know why the coach gave him the nickname. For a Judoka to be doing those tricks is very different and impressive.

For a competitor whether kid or adult to have the courage to use those tricks without fear of loosing is impresive and what this sport is all about. I attached a couple of links below that should prove to those guys that there is no limit to how long you could use those tricks.

I dont call them tricks however. I call them technique and tactic

Oh YEA!!! GSP has gone to the ADCC only to lose to a flying armbar. It's the first video below.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOE-f86-aLY"]YouTube - Leo Santos Vs GSP[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6oiADjOdFg"]YouTube - The Original Crazy 20 second Capoeira MMA Knockout![/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL_jDGLd5_U"]YouTube - Wrestling[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH63iKkKUfU&feature=related"]YouTube - Duffy wrestling Backflip[/ame]

6. Lau

Lau 8-bit power

Kid's really going for it :) Makes me curious how my 5yr old will do by then having taken up Wushu as of recent.

7. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

(1) YES!
    (2) YES!
    (3) YES!
    (4-A) Actually, NO - his friends gave him that nick-name.
    (4-B) YES!
    (5) YES!
    (6) YES!
    (7) YES!

NOT only do you come from a strong back-ground in many different M/A styles, you know what you are talking about... and proved it all! :happy::happy::happy:

8. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Bwahhahahahahaha

I think i've accidently walked into a Ninjitsu forum.

*Someone else said it too; It must be so*

Sorry but i go with the belief that 'flash' moves should be left to demonstrations and films and that in a competition things should be kept simple and effective. Whilst that vid showed succesful use of the flashy stuff, it will not work forever as his opponents become better skilled/harder/faster/more experienced and perhaps he will be better off concentrating on the long run not showing off for mates. (yes i was a kid, and i practiced MA at thirteen, My Sifu encouraged simple and effective from day one)

9. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

(1) Your belief is welcomed and appreciated, but NOT agreed with. FLASH SELLS!

(2) He will also become better skilled/harder/faster/more experienced. In fact, he does on a daily basis.

(3) Perhaps, perhaps NOT. His friends come to see what he'll come up with next... without the Flash, they may not show up to see his matches and cheer him on.

(4) I was also a kid once (so long ago, I cant even remember when, exactly). I started M/A at the age of 7, my middle bro 6 and my youngest 4. Our Sensei was very competitive. He was some old Cuban National Open Champion... at 5'4" & 175-180lbs. He believed, to be a good competitor, you had to compete, as often as possible. We all did Randori every day at our dojo. I dont want to brag, but all 3 of us went on to win National titles & championships, more than once. I will not take credit for his Flash, but I encourage it... if that's what he wants to do. I agree with your Sifu on the "effective", but there's nothing "simple" about what I teach... I dont know what he teaches (your Sifu), NO disrespect intended.

"SpikeD" are you related to "Spikey"? LOL

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  10. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Theres a reason why people can only ever link the same bunch of videos showing these things though - because it's very rare and they are the exceptions. I don't see why so many people on this site like to link videos of something that everyone, them included, knows is an exception - usually luck based - and think that it somehow backs up whatever point they've been trying to prove.

There's ALWAYS exceptions to pretty much everything. But that's ALL they are and nothing more.

11. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Theres a reason why people can only ever link the same bunch of videos showing these things though - because it's very rare and they are the exceptions. I don't see why so many people on this site like to link videos of something that everyone, them included, knows is an exception - usually luck based - and think that it somehow backs up whatever point they've been trying to prove.

There's ALWAYS exceptions to pretty much everything. But that's ALL they are and nothing more.

12. Kwajman

Well regardless, be proud of your son and encourage him in whatever he chooses to do.

13. Bear187

Bear187 New Member

Again, I must say.

Spikey D, you are INCORRECT!!!

The videos I attached showed compettitors at their highest level. GSP was already fighting in the UFC when he was beaten by a flashy move.

The Capoeira fighter was also competing professionally.

There is no limit to how long these things can be done. Only limited competitors and fighters.

Remember, the things you do simplest are the things you do often.

Keep encouraging your student to do those things coach. He will excel and be great. No matter what the venue is, encourage him to follow his heart and try those techniques.
    This way even when he looses a match he still walks off a winner.

Another highlight note. Anderson Silva's first legit lost was from a scissors sweep into a heel hook. If that is not flashy I dont know what is.

14. Bear187

Bear187 New Member

Master Betty, it's not luck if your constantly winning using those techniques.

Kwajman, the student is not my son. I have no kids but if I did I would encourage him to try anything he wanted.

We all should.

15. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Yep, this is either a ninjitsu or Wing-chun thread. Just blowing in the wind.

16. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Rare & Exception? Maybe. Luck? Yes, and the more he practices his flashy moves, the luckier he gets. :lifting::weightlifter:

17. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

the Final ShowDown - Gi Match

Here is the best of all the matches between Spikey vs JP IMHO. This one is with Gi and shows off Spikey's superior take-downs. SLAMS - BAMS - WHAMS

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-AZ2gETzNU"]YouTube - Spikey's second Gi match @ Iron Fighter's Call Out on 12/18/10[/ame]

What do you think now? What's your opinion on Spikey's skills at age 6?

18. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Gotta say that kid is going to do really well in competition. Using rolls and flips shows great understanding of timing angles distance and body movement. Will confuse some if of everyone and win some cheap points there plus will have a good toolbox against those not so easily confused.

Btw did St Pierre try ground and pound before the tap?

19. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

The Ninja's dad is not only my first student to recieve a black belt under me, he is also an MMA nut who travels from dojo to dojo, looking for a good roll, from time to time. He spends endless hours training his boy in Judo, BJJ & No Gi Submission Grappling... which is exactly why his JR. is sooooo good at it. No wonder!

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON. :fight1:

20. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

Despite being 90% joking around and only about 10% serious, Forrest Griffin's first book had some great insights. One of them is very relevant to to this discussion.

Griffin wrote about the difference between two types of techniques. The first type of technique is the standard type that you use all the time. Jab, cross, cut kick, etc. are all standard techniques that a fighter (striker) should have in his repertoire. These are the bread and butter of fighting, and without these basic and fundamental types of moves a fighter is lost.

The second kind of techniques he discuses are the flashy ones. These moves are like the ones which are being discussed here. Generally the flashy techniques, cartwheels, spinning kicks, etc. are higher risk, but they offer greater pay off. If a fighter fails to properly execute a high risk move they'll often be in a compromised position but if the fighter does pull one off they can steal the round or even the fight fight...

[​IMG]

In my opinion a fighter needs the first kind of technique and not the second. Without well refined basics there's little chance that a person can be successful at the higher levels of competition. A good jab is a greater asset to a fighter than a jumping spin crescent kick.

With that said, while not exactly necessary the second kind of move is a valuable asset to a fighter. To put it plainly, flashy moves look good, and the element of surprise that these techniques offer give them an under appreciated kind of power.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010