No-dachi

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Yojimbo, Oct 21, 2003.

1. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

AND YET AGAIN... those swords are cheap pieces of crap. No offence but if you are trying to advertise you must contact the moderators of this site first.

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Forgot-

The only "o.k." blades on there are the Cas Iberia and Paul chen blades. Do not buy unless you know how to use and care for them.

3. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

Where can i find the real or close the real no-dachi?

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Do you train in any Japanese sword arts? Doesn't show anything in your profile so I am not to eager to share anything with you, a Japanese blade should be kept by some one knowing how to care for it and use it PROPERLY.
    If not do not buy a Japanese blade PERIOD.

5. jhunter

jhunter Guest

nodachi

no, a nodachi is a militarily unviable unused japanese sword, it was used by horsemen to cut down infantry, but it was so large and unwieldly that it was discontinued not to long after inception, I believe. You will only find nodachi in probably collectors hands, as they are rare and also old. Your best bet to train in sword art is to look up kendo clubs in your area, or Iaido, or something along those lines. A good site for more info is rich steins sword glossary.

6. Epoch

Epoch New Member

Im positive a smith would make a no dachi for a certain price might be a little expensive though is the longer they are the more smiths they take to forge the blade at once as well as the amount of metal used. If by chance you do find a smith who will make a no dachi for you post some pics and info on here im sure other people would be interested as well.

I can provide links for anyone interested in having a sword or nodachi made but keep in mind they might be expensive.

http://johndswordpolishing.com/shows/

If you scroll down the page to where it says "A day with Louis Mills 07/27/01" it is very interesting as he has actually created his own No-dachi.

On this page of the same site -

http://johndswordpolishing.com/smiths/

scroll down to where it says - Louis Mills

and it might give you some more info about him. If in fact you wanted to go about having a no dachi made he would be one of the people for you to getin contact with.

Here would be a good place to start if you are indeed wanting a nodachi or sword made. JohnD@JohnDSwordPolishing.com

7. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

Iaito

47Ronin, about the Hanweif and iberia swords. I really like Chen's Musashi katana( although its a little long). Its expensive though, and i only practice Iaido, so I found out that Chen makes Iaito versions of some of his swords. Do you have any experience with these. does anyone know a site that sells them at a reasonable price. If not im probably going to go with the Practical Katana. It just seems stupid for me to by a sword with a live blade when I can get an iaito for about the same price. Plus the Iaido looks better, is lighter and has better fittings. any help would be great.