No-dachi

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Yojimbo, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Even if the sword is that much longer than I thought it is an unsafe thing to use. There isn't even a habaki on the thing.

In other words just don't waste your money on such a worthless thing. Try a Paul Chen Practical Katana for 200$.

BUT be warned- IF YOU HAVE NO PRIOR TRAINING WITH A JAPANESE SWORD AND DO NOT KNOW HOW TO HANDLE AND CARE FOR A BLADE THEN DONT EVEN THINK OF BUYING ONE. I HIGHLY STRESS THAT.

(if you do buy one with out any knowledge on it I'll hate you and you wont be my friend, ever! :D)

Regards,

Max

3. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

Max, i gotta admit you have me at a loss. I'll think twice about it. you know anything about broadswords? I've got my eyes set on a battle ready hand and a half replica from the hundred years war. It was my second choice, now my first.

4. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

ps. don't knock european martial skills, the japanese aren't the whose who of swordsmanship, agree?

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

When did I knock the European Martial Arts????

6. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

Sorry 47, wrong forum, don't really have an excuse for how that happened. but about the broadsword...

7. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

If you are looking for a nice hand and half type sword this due makes some very very very very sweet ones nad they arent too expensive
    www.allsaintsblades.com

8. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

9. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Go with Cudgel on this subject. Not my area of study.
    Good luck :)

10. Cudgel

well this is a WEAPONS forum not katana forum. so its all cool to talk about euro swords unless you mean this thread I guess we could make another one.

well I've heard nothing but things aobut museum replicas
    THe first sword is kinda big for me u nless it has sweet balance, but hten agains Im also kinda lightly built.
    THe second one doesnt appeal to me but its light and looks a little wickedly pointed, and its cheap for a sword.

11. LowBlowJoe

LowBlowJoe New Member

Would this be considered a no-dachi?

12. Cudgel

will it looks like it has the fittings of a tachi and they are rather nice fitting so......I dunno

13. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Not its not. The tsuka should not have that kind of shape. Invariably the tsuka has to be counterbalanced to allow one to draw and cut with one hand.

The correct shape is as shown on my site with the blade I use.

http://www.hyoho.com/Nkage1.html

Nodachi simply translates as long field sword

14. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

"THe first sword is kinda big for me u nless it has sweet balance, but then agains Im also kinda lightly built."

Thats cool Cudgel, I'm 6'5" and 280 lbs. I like big swords, thats why katanas aren't my thing. The second sword is called a hand and half, but the ricasso is only 7 inches, what gives I wonder? Ill probably end up going with the larger one. thanks for the advice

15. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

by the way Cudgel, Museum Replicas main supplier is Windlass Steelcrafts. Indian Army Gov't contractor. They make only battle ready swords. also, they have some Paul Chen Katanas.
    I by from them because I happen to live only 20 minutes from their only showroom in the World. Huge castle shaped building, supper sweet! :) Everything from Axes to Zulu spears! plus pocket knives.

16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Good site Hyaku.

17. Cudgel

yeah see Im 5'10 and 165 pounds. I can hit hard if i want to bu ti find it easier to use lighter weapon to hit hard with.
    YEah windlass steels sounds familar.

Ive noticed that there seems to be greater variation in the sizes and types of Euro swords than Japanese ones, that could just be ignorance on my part, maybe becasue there is greater varition in size nad build among westerners than among Asian.

18. darkblade683

darkblade683 New Member

19. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Cloud buster sword isn't for any real use and that No dachi is a cheap remake that I wouldn't advise using.

20. darkblade683

darkblade683 New Member

Oh yea if you want cheap swords, knifes or throwing stars and such that are pretty well made then go to: www.eknifeworks.com/
    ther are swords that are like $30-$100 bucks!