No-dachi

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Yojimbo, Oct 21, 2003.

1. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

No problem man, make sure you ask the head master of the school about supplies.

2. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

3. danny the ninja

danny the ninja New Member

Blatant Advert

{Edit: This isn't a Classified Ads website}

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2003
  4. Epoch

Epoch New Member

its pretty hard to find a decent looking no dachi most of the ones that i have seen are basically a katana blade with a bigger handle. most likely the only way you will find one is if you found a original one but that would run anywhere from 1 million $ and up if you were lucky enough to get a owner to sell you one which would most likely never happen. the best thing you can do is take a practice katane preferably made out of wood get to know how to handle and move with it then step uo to a katana when you are ready whichc most schools will know and then a no dachi if u are lucky enough to find one.

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

"if you found a original one but that would run anywhere from 1 million $ and up if you were lucky enough to get a owner to sell you one which would most likely never happen."

One million dollars, HA. No offence, but you obviously don't know your stuff. Unless it was a national treasure like a Masamune ( which wouldnt be for sale in the first place) it wouldn't cost anything more than 50,000$. I have seen over 500 year old blades that only cost 5,000- 7,000. The highest price I have seen for a blade was 35,000. If you want to check into more stuff like that and want a real piece of history I recommend this site - www.Nihonto.com . It is bookmarked in my favorites as my dream blades :D .

But I would not recommend that site for anyone who does not practice any sword styles and who have never owned a hand forged blade due to the fact that they are of the highest maintenance and need to be treated like a baby with the upmost respect.

AGAIN PLEASE DON'T SPEND YOUR MONEY ON THAT SITE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING, IT IS TRUELY SAD TO LOSE A PIECE OF HISTORY TO A NINCOMPOOP.

-Max

6. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Ummmm...... right buddy... I'm not sure where you got that info from...

No dachi are NOT katana with extended handle, and about costing one million dolars... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

That's going a little overboard man, I've used them before, if they were 1 mil$ I wouldn't dare touch them.

7. Epoch

Epoch New Member

first off i want to start by saying actually i do know my stuff hence i have been studying asain history (ie japanese, chinese, etc.) as well as asain martial arts among many other forms of martial arts for close to 16 years and i think i know a thing or 2 about a nodachi. 47 ronin you might have found a cheap, basic antique katana that cost either you or someone you know 5- $7,000 and if they actually paid that much for a antique blade they might have gotten a good deal if it was made by the right smith, used by a certain japanese family, or was used in a war or a number of wars. Remeber a actual battle ready katana and not one of those cheap ones you see in magazines or on the internet will be anywhere from $10,000 and up sometimes even past $30,000. Also you might get a kick out of this but as japanese history goes a nodachi was cut down to be used as a masamune and guess what being that there has only been a dozen no dachis found so far, a actual real nodachi will always be worth alot more then a masamune, as a masamune basically came from a nodachi (odachi) being it was cut down to a smaller size, which is exactly what was going on in japan. As for jedi boy it is highly unlikely that you have touched let alone gone within 20 ft of a actual no dachi reason being that every nodachi that has been found is either in a museum or a shrine in japan and while they are in a museum or a shrine they are under heavy security most of them locked up in rooms or cases. So for you to say - "That's going a little overboard man, I've used them before, if they were 1 mil$ I wouldn't dare touch them." That is quite impossible for the fact that the only way a highly sought out japanese treasure such as a nodachi could be even touched would be if a museum wanted to take pictures and info of it or if they were going to do a restoration on a sword. Other then that chances are you havnt even gone near a real nodachi if you have lets see some pics of you and this so called no dachi not just you talking about it. Also if you were to go to a museum or shrine in japan and ask to buy a no dachi the museum or shrine who owned the blade would laugh at you and most likely have you removed from the premises.

8. Epoch

Epoch New Member

i dont mean to be rude jedi but the only way you could have even gotten close to a no dachi is if you were using a cheap remake but even then chances are you were using a cheap remake of a masamune and not a no dachi as no smith would waiste the time of making a nodachi just for someone to train with it. this is probably a close picture of the nodachi that you say you held - http://www.weaponmasters.com/index....d04ea1bae373a0a&ITEM=KE-2042&SORT=&FDX=&FMAX=

9. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Did I say the one I held was an original one? Where did I say that? Please point out where I said that because I don't see it.

The one I used was not 1 mil$, but when translated into american money it was about 4k $, and how the hell would you know if I came within 20 feet of one, you know I have been to a museum in Japan before you know what happens when you assume.......(you make an "ass" of "u" and "me")

Look through the threads, there is even a style of Kenjutsu that uses the No-Dachi, don't talk to me like I'm full of ****, I don't appreciate it, just because I'm a kid doesn't mean I'm stupid, and frankly, I don't care how long you've been studying Japanese history. I'm sure there are old No Dachi that are 1 mil + but saying that all of them are or else they are a crappy remake is just plain ignorance.

ahem... http://www.hyoho.com/index.html

10. Epoch

Epoch New Member

first of i never stated that the sword you held was an original one i simply stated that had it been one of the 11 found that were made by a certain smith it would have cost well over a million and it would be im[ossible to get close to as they have been locked up and heavily guarded in either museums or shrines. im sure you have used a nodacho that costs roughly around 4k$ heck ive used a naginata that was around $7800 after translated to us currency. the point of my post was that had you used a certain nodachi like the one i was talking about in a different thread it could cost up to a million dollars. i never once stated that u didnt use a nodachi, heck more power to ya if you want to learn how to get better with a nodachi i'll send you links to a school or schools which teach advanced use for it. so next time before you decide to type a post for no reason read my posts until you understand the point i am trying to get across.

11. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I read your post...multiple times.

You said

The one I used was not cheap, just because it wasn't a traditional one doesn't make it "fake". So are you saying I use cheap remakes? Sorry, I don't call 4 thousand dollars cheap. (mabey by sword standards it is.. but it seems like you are using cheap remake as a substitude for "peice of crap sword")

So you are saying they are ALL mass produced???

When did I say I wanted to learn it, and when did I ask for your help?! I HAVE been to a KSSR school that incorperated No Dachi into their training curriculuum.

And I don't need a link for a school that teaches it either, I just posted one!

Sorry, but there are QUALITY remakes of no dachi that are not "just katana with bigger tsuka"

Sorry mister "Epoch" but I think YOU are the one who needs to read MY posts more thoroughly...

12. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Epoch, with all due respect all your years of study show that it hasn't payed off.

Have you looked at the link I or Chris have showed you?

Click on the underlined words- www.nihonto.com - www.hyoho.com

Not all swords by Masamune were from Nodachi's, maybe one or two. He created swords, not just cutting down a Nodachi.

The "cheap" katanas you speak of are not cheap at all. I consider the Bizen province smiths to be of great stature due to their lands rich of steel.

I do not think you have studied swords and to be totally honest I think you are a FOOL.

Hmmm, maybe I should change my signature to- "If you don't know s**t don't say s**t" (Yes I am referring to you Epoch)

You try to make Chris and myselfs training and knowledge like crap but any educated person in the sword click will see it the other way around.

If you have seen some 1Mil$ swords before- Cool, want a cookie?
    Not all Nodachi remakes or oldies are gonna be over a million dollars and actually now I would like to see where you get your information from. POST A LINK PLEASE. If you can't I think I know why......... Because you are thinking some stuff you read in a ninja anime magazine is true!!

I think you are either a complete troll or a complete misinformed person/FOOL. Don't post again until you can provide some proof to your sayings.

-Max

13. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Guys it is best to ignore Epoch and continue on the discussion as if he didnt exist

14. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Yeah I think for a change I'm going to agree with you cudgel. :D

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Not in a patient mood tonight guys - keep it more civil or it goes down the plughole.

16. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Ok ok, sorry Yoda.

17. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

Has anyone checked my link to the No-Dachi at the Museum Replica's Ltd. site? I just want to know how close it looks to a real nodachi. The grip doesn't look at all traditional, but I still think it looks better than that Masamune Nodachi that the goofy looking kid in the Martix like outfit.

18. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

That goofy kids blade was alot better than that blade, sorry.

The sword shown on the site you listed is about 30 inches and is used for staged combat, not a good collectors piece and not traditionally made. Even though there aren't many pics I can still tell it stinks! (at least for some one collecting authentic blades).
    Regards
    -Max

19. Soete-tsuki

Soete-tsuki New Member

Actually, the correct Romaji spelling is "Odachi"

Anyways, I can see how it'd be fun, though it doesn't seem all to practical. A Katana can easily counter Odachi attacks, and has a much faster reaction speed. An Odachi is quite a useful battlefield weapon, though I'd never consider one in a duel, too slow, extra range and power are meaningless =/

20. Erasmus

Erasmus Guest

47 ronin, are you sure you looked at the right sword? The Blade on that odachi is 40 inches, and the handle is 18." It is under the 'New' section of their online cataloge. it may not be as long as the masamune odachi, but I garuntee it is approx 58 inches total length.