no bagua for you

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Dmalo, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Dmalo

Dmalo Valued Member

Hey guys been along time since i've been back on here, any who the reason for this is i just want to find out, if its possible to learn ba gua, when there is NO ONE in your area that knows it. So whats the next best thing??

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The next best thing will be whatever you choose to do out of what IS available in your area. There's no point deciding that any one particular MA is the one for you, if there is no-one in your area to teach it to you.

So, what do you have to choose from?

3. embra

embra Valued Member

I have been going to the odd Bagua class - there are not many running in Scotland, and right now Im in Belgium - so I am not an expert.

Bagua is just impossible to learn without credible tuition, don't even waste your time thinking about it.

I presume that it is the evasive aspects of Bagua which interest you. If so, good Aikido or FMA are probably the simplest alternative route - to get into your head-set, triangular footwork off-line evasion. You might find Systema usefull, but it is too slow and soft for me. Some Taichi - that teach 9 palace step pushing hands is very similar to Bagua - the 9 steps are the 8 Bagua points plus the centre point.

However, this is only scratching the outer surface of Bagua. The coiling muscular contraction/expansion springy body development or neigung, can be very up-front - this simply cannot be observed - it has to experienced via credible instruction.

Bagua is a pretty unique art, but its damm difficult to find credible tuition e.g. my teacher in Scotland, travels in London once a month for tuition.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Can we just make a sticky of "martial arts X isn't taught in my area. Is it still possible to learn it from books/videos/tapes?" and have a giant response that says "NO." that would be nice.

5. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

With an exception for Gracie Jiu Jitsu I guess? =P

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

not even GJJ.

skill learning is limited without lot's of live training.

7. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

But if the Gracies themselves say it's possible to learn it through a Gracie Garage... It can't be all greed isn't it? I'm just curious about this.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

learning the motions of the techniques (and even some of the theory) does not necessarily equal being able to do them right, either in training or in practice. the former is perfectly doable via long distance instruction, the latter not so much.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

not all the gracies. and the ones that do admit that the learning you'll get is pretty limited. no way you can get to the same level as a black belt online.

10. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

I see. Well, not that I'm particularly interested.

To the OP though: I went through a similar problem. I am in love with Baji Quan and I gave up finding instruction nearby. I made contacts though, and thankfully I have private lessons and seminars coming up which will get me travelling around Europe a bit, just to learn the bare basics.

But meanwhile... It's going to be Sanda for me (And BJJ, which I'll probably join after the summer break).

11. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Just to reinforce what has been said, i have some experience of Bagua and can state categorically that it can't be learned any other way than (literally, at times) hands on. The difference between an integrated stance and non integrated is about 2cm (knee position)!

12. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

If I where you, I would travel and stay for a amount of time with a teacher. ( days/weeks )
    then go home train and go back after a time that suits you.
    It's maybe a slow progress, but is progress none the less.

I have been doing this for over 10 years now, and it works for me.

But I agree with previous posts. You can never get the small details without someone pointing them out to you. Positioning, body mechanics and things like that make the differences between good techniques and empty techniques.

13. embra

embra Valued Member

Mengcunman,

As you are in Belgium, do you know of Bagua in Belgium or nearby?

I am working in Brussels right now. I will be going home fairly soon, but I can be coming back here as there seems to be a fair ammmount of work for me here. 2 years ago I worked accros the border in Lille and did not find interesting MA in the surrounds - plus the Belgian train system sucks.

So any info is good info.

14. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Yeah, but how you can do that, unless you are wealthy or you have a job that makes you travel a lot?

15. Dale Dugas

Dale Dugas My door is always open

My teacher, Dr. John Painter is in Texas which is not far from you.

You can go down to Arlington where his school is located and get Baguazhang training.

I travel to Texas 1-2 time per year to get instruction from my teacher

16. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

I can look for some Bagua players
    I believe there is one in Brussels, but I have to look into it.

and yes.... train systems suck

concerning the travelling....
    I saved money for 2 years and went to China. I repeated this several times.
    Now I teach and let the school pay for my training trips to China.
    ( our school is a non profit organisation )

17. emptycupoftea

emptycupoftea Valued Member

Hi Dmalo,

I'll tell you a story. I thought you can learn circle walking by yourself.
    Walk a circle, ha! I done that playing Duck Duck Goose! Sinking? Oh ok walk like Groucho Marx. So I finally find a teacher and I think I am going to show him my circle walking he will be so impressed.

He asks me to show him my circle walking. I begin I am walking circle just like the book says, I think I am great. I finish. My teacher says "thats not to bad"
    I thought I knew it I am great. Not to bad is a polite way to say terrible I find out later:D

So can you learn Baguazhang with no teacher around, I think that you think you can but when you meet a teacher and he says "thats not to bad" hopefully you will remember my story.

If you truly want to learn Baguazhang though and there really is none in your area, my suggestion is contact the nearest teacher. I have found that many teachers are willing to help you in your situation. Be polite, explain your situation, and make arrangements to meet.