no activity?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ap Oweyn, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

@nasigoreng ...The old silat teacher is using the terminology correctly IMO :). So would everyone from my personal heritage refer to Tae Kwon Do as silat if it arose in a discussion.

There is obviously a different perspective from the outside, that defines silat as being stylistically identifiable. While I disagree with this (from the inside), I can understand how it has become so.

@ap Oweyn ... I don't think it's a case of being too broad or narrow, but a case of the development of a new modern meaning that is different from its original use. Well, that's language for you!

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okay... so, I'm always interested in these sorts of insights. At the same time, I'm wondering how YOU would define "silat" for the purposes of THIS forum. I'm presuming you don't particularly want people coming to this subforum specifically to discuss taekwondo, for instance. Surely there are some criteria you rely on.

3. Rebo Paing

I define silat as a martial way as seen through the perspective of my culture as well as other cultures in SE Asia, imbued with all the overtones and shades of meaning due to the influence of the history and place.

On the surface you're absolutely correct. On this forum it would be confusing to have to explain the position that silat is not form by itself, but it is form shaped by and wrapped in the substance of heritage and culture.

Rahayu ap Oweyn!

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well said.

Though you really wouldn't say anything about Indonesian or Malaysia in that definition? Kali is also a martial way influenced by the cultures of Southeast Asia, but I would still define it as Filipino, despite there being clear influences from sources as diverse as Indochina, Spain, etc.

I think there's enough distinction between kali and silat that someone with the right background could watch a practitioner of each and determine accurately who was doing what, despite the fact that both fit the definition "a martial way as seen through the perspective of my culture as well as other cultures in SE Asia, imbued with all the overtones and shades of meaning due to the influence of the history and place."

I'm not trying to be pedantic. Just interested.

Oh, and I'm curious. What does "rahayu" mean? :)

(First person who types "Google it" gets a virtual cuff round the ear.)

5. Rebo Paing

Rahayu is a Javanese greeting (Kromo Madyo = middle language, spoken mainly in Central & East Java) that wishes you well-being and prosperity :).

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh well, I'll take it! Cheers Rebo Paing. :D

7. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

Wow, interesting discussion... Just read all of it, finally. ;)

I personally have studied 3 different styles of Silat here in Malaysia (Cekak, Harimau Berantai and Fitrah Sejagat) apart from TKD, JKD and BJJ. :)

Just found out my Family's style about three years back. Wished I found out about it earlier.

I personally believe that there is a simple way to determine what is Silat or not. The Permainan, sometimes referred to as Silat Pulut or Silat Pengantin. Lots of it in Youtube. I posted one here with a one legged Pesilat.

Of course, huge interpretations to how it is done but most styles have a version of it. And furthermore, they can take part with other styles during festivities. That's just the culture here, might seem strange to a Westerner, I know... ;)

Given, one or two styles cannot take part in Pulut (eg Silat Cekak and Silat Kalimah, look them up for the "why") but that also leaves me with the question whether they're really traditional Silat styles or not.

Or, there is the legal way... Just refer to The Registrar of Societies (in Malaysia that's what it is called) and whatever that's registered as "Silat" is well, by definition, Silat. :)

Good discussion.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012