Nito Ryu and Arnis / Escrima and Kali

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by MingTheMerciles, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MingTheMerciles

MingTheMerciles Valued Member

Hey , I am a Kendoka , so I am wondering will the practice of fillipino stick fighting help me in my foundation basic of Nito Ryu ?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Never done kendo, so this is supposition. But here's what I'm thinking: First, it's likely to introduce stylistic differences that may or may not go over very big with your sensei. Personally, I don't generally mind where something comes from or whether it's influenced by something else. In fact, I dig that. But if it's going to be a problem that your kendo starts looking like something else, then I'd bear that in mind.

The other thing is that Filipino double sticks (doble olisi) often involve crossing the weapons. I was mucking around recently with a couple of krabi krabong practice swords (Thai double sword, or fan daab). The Thai swords have fairly long handles on them (like Japanese swords), so that when you're using one in each hand, there's a lot of handle sticking out below your fist. That tends to get in the way of a lot of the crossing maneuvers in kali, arnis, and eskrima, in my experience.

All of that said, I'd still encourage you to try kali. Some of it may well be useful to you. And who knows. Perhaps you'll find a whole new style you're interested in pursuing.

Stuart

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I'd try it out for sure. I believe if you go there you will never look back. But and it is not to demean any of the systems. I would really check out some of the threads on FMA and find a system that is right for you.

Some may not be for you...It is going to be based on how dedicated you are to what you have learned, and the new stuff might be not where you want to go.

The big thing here is cultural, also. The idea of minimum movement and low body mass may be contray to your other teaching. But I am not sure what you have learned. Not that I am a big expert but I have no dog in the business, what works for you and your body type is important also.

Gary

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  4. MingTheMerciles

Kendo Nito allow the use of 2 sword ( a long and a short one ) , so I believe that fillipino stick fight may benefit it . And my Jujitsu instructor teach Arnis on Sunday . I also heard that Jujitsu and Fillipino stick fight often benefit each other .

5. Limbas

Limbas Valued Member

I'd say yes. There are two-handed sword techniques in FMA that you can relate to kendo. In fact katana swords were used by Filipino warriors during the Fil-Spanish, Fil-American, and Fil-Japanese wars. Practicing both, arts FMA and Kendo can enhance each other.

6. MingTheMerciles

But then what will I expect from my Arnis compared to my Kendoka ? I pick them up mostly because I think I will my more proficient with dual wielding sword technique . beside I have not find a Nito teacher yet .

7. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Sounds like you are pretty new to the whole thing, I'd just go on Sunday and learn Arnis and not worry about Nito Ryu at this date and time.

Trying to learn them both at once is not good, you should learn one for at least a year 2 times a week or a long day on sunday, every sunday IMHO...Then practice in between on the stuff you are shown. The drills are important to do evey time you get a chance. IMHO.

:D

8. MingTheMerciles

Well , currently I am learning 2 style ( 3 years in kendo and 2 years in jujitsu ) , my jujitsu teacher also teaches Arnis . So I been considering to pick them up from 2 years ago until now . I have not learn any nito yet ( as I cannot find any nito teacher ) .

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

find a nito teacher and find an arnis teacher. compare.