ninjutsu and kendo?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by furinkazan, Apr 11, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

I'm lately wanting to focus on developing my kenjutsu, and while I own Hatsumi's one on sword fighting, all my notes from time training up to first dan, I was wondering about sword specifically.

Since my Bujinkan training is on hold for now while I try other things, I do still practice solo. I did try out an Iaido place recently but I'm finding lately Im more interested in application as opposed to forms, and found that it just wasnt for me. Conversely, is Kendo of any use to sword work in the way we do in the Bujinkan? Has anyone here done both? Did they compliment each other?

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I'd say yes and no.

Kendo will help with your timing, intent and distance but it won't help as far as learning to cut as you would in the Bujinkan or other let's say combative methods.

Iai would be far more help to you, imo, don't disregard those forms you saw they teach a lot you will actually develope the ability to use the weapon from various positions, generate power, develop proper hasuji, seme and tame and more.

What style of Iai was it.

3. Dean Winchester

What part of the UK are you in?

We might be able to point you in the direction of a Dojo.

4. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.

I tried it but found it really didn't interest me.

5. Dean Winchester

Did they teach the koryu from the start or did you have to do Seitei-gata?

If you are interested in sword then jumping in with the BKA and doing MJER probably isn't a bad idea, they have plenty of seminars and training sessions, there are a good number of Dojo up and down the country and a number of very good teachers.

Kenjutsu is also becoming more accessible in the UK, there are Dojo in various parts of the country now with good ties to Japan.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

They showed me a standing version of Seitei gata with none of the kneeling, some draws (Which I still find myself going back to parts of the seitei gata tbh). Sadly I found myself a little less impressed by other things in the class.

Typical 'Your art is BS, we are street practical' from senior students, those who even knew the bujinkan by name then compared it to Muay Thai (hilarious in hindsight) and then bits of japanese non-history on how the iaido guys are the real samurai of today and that samurai were stealthy fighters, developed as a counter measure to ninja and just stuff like that from the students I met and spoke to really just... I don't know the word, 'irked' me some? :wow:

Shouldn't matter all that much to me really since I can't even make the classes' time frame for toffee now due to taking up karate and loving that a lot (and its phenomenally nearer too). That said, you mentioning seminars got me thinking on a point I was musing the other day.

Are there any Naginata places in England? I know theres meant to be some in the UK.

Theres a Kendo seminar in Birmingham next month I could possibly make :)

7. Dean Winchester

Naginata is mostly towards Manchester, I think, and a bit in Wales. I'm not sure though.

If you are within travelling distance of Birmingham then you are close Masamune Dojo which is a very well established Iai and Jodo Dojo lead by Fay Goodman who is a nanadan.

There is however Koryu Kenjutsu in the West Midlands, specifically in Walsall at Heijoshin Dojo.

They also teach iai, the Dojo leader is Mr Scott Halls who not only holds a godan in Iai but is also a monkasei of Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu kenjutsu.

More info here: http://www.heijoshin.co.uk/

As for the Dojo you visited it all sounds a little bizzare to be honest.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Theres two places near me who say they teach iai, they dont. However what they do teach is forms copied off the internet badly mixed in with self taught jiujitsu.

9. Dean Winchester

:D

That made me chuckle.

10. Dean Winchester

Furinkazan,

In the near future there will be somewhere opening in the West Mids that teaches koryu iai and jujutsu ;)

PM me if you are interested and I'll stick you on a mailing list.

11. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

got a link? I could do with a chuckle

12. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Midlands is a tad far for me, but Manchester is about 1 hours travel time for me.

13. Dean Winchester

There's Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu up in Leeds too if that's any good.

14. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Dean, I'd be interested in knowing about koryu Iai in the West Mids.

Based in Sandwell myself.

I visited Mr Halls' dojo once a long while ago (I think I was about 19 or so). Really nice guy, very approachable and comes across as an all round good egg. If it became feasible for you to visit him Furinkazan I'd highly advise it.

15. Dean Winchester

Hi Voidkarate,

If it is just sword you are interested in then Scott in the man to go to. He is freaking awesome and I'm not just saying that.

There will be another koryu venue opening up eventually but that will be for a system of sogo bujutsu (comprehensive art) which includes armed and unarmed grappling alongside swordsmanship.

Just pm me if you want more info.

16. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Thirded.

I remember emailing him when I was 19 and he was incredibly helpful. It never ended up being possible for me to travel there, but he is very good.

Sounds like you met the Bujinkan (in the worst, "i m dedlee ninja" RVD sense) of iaido!

17. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Sadly I moved away before I could learn much from Scott, but I'd definitely add to the view that he's an excellent instructor and really knows his stuff.

18. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

Unfortunately I can't send PM at all Dean so I'll have to pass on that. I'm sure I'll find a place if it ends up being local to me :)

For the OP, I'm not sure about your sword work in Bujinkan but I've done some very basic kendo stepping exercises and movement drills before. From the little amount I did I can tell you it was good for timing, distance and posture that I was able to transfer easily into my karate, so I wouldn't be surpised if it helped in some way for you. The major issue I hear about Kendo is it being sport centric. Maybe that would impede you being able to really get into application of sword techniques? Not a subject I'm uber familiar with to be honest but from the sliver of training of done in that area, I hope that helps.

19. Dean Winchester

It's probably due to the number of posts you have.

If you want to you can always ask Aegis to lift that restriction.

20. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I looks like it should have just lifted - Valued Members (description under the avatar) can PM, or at least should be able to!