Ninjitsu Excercises

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by NosX, Jan 16, 2003.

1. NosX

NosX New Member

Can anyone give me a detail what excercises they do at their dojo (classes) and so forth , Ie Pushups , Situps and stuff like that thanx :)

2. eninpodotcom

eninpodotcom New Member

Nothing out of the ordinary... Stretching, Push ups (different types) and Sit Ups.

3. NosX

NosX New Member

how many push ups and situps ? and on one site it was talking about 'groing stretch' and sideways leaps what are those?

4. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

I assume you mean for a warm up like excersise?

Most of the time for the begginers classes we start with breakfall practise - 10 of each. This is good for getting the blood moving and honing the breakfall technique.
    Then we will probably do some sort of endurance excersise to make they are all tired out - this depends on the temperature and what we intend to do with the classes. These excersises include rolling backwards and forwards (increasing the distance needed to be rolled each time) then striking a punching bag for a while, doing a rolling pyramid - roll to this point do one pushup, roll back do one situp, roll further then do two pushups, roll back do two situps, and so on and so forth.
    We also have a line of punching bags at one end of the mat. You start at the other end, roll to the bag and weave between them, strikingsome or all of them on the way through.
    Crab walking is another thing we use - get in horse stance now walk around the dojo - or bunny hopping - crouch down and bounce around using your feet, ankle, lower legs. Don't extend the legs.

When we are doing striaght pushup/situp pyramids we can choose to use any pushup/situp style we like and it is usually a 10 pyramid with steps of one.

Sometimes when the students are doing multiple break falls we make them hold thier legs stright up in the air (from the back. Multiple breakfall is where you let the legs fall to one side then bring them up and to the other side) Then make them touch thier toes - these are very good situps. This could be anywhere from 10 to 50

5. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

For class, we start off practicing ukemi. Everyone justs lines up and goes one after the other. Last time I remember asking how many I was told 100 times. Haven't kept track lately, but I know it's a lot. Then we spend 10 minutes or so practicing kihon happo and sanshin no kata. As far as stretching and strength training and conditioning, we are expected to do those on our own. That gives more time in class to be devoted to training. For myself, I just get a good stretch in everyday. Alternating between arms and legs for a really long stretch every other day. Ex: today, I'll concentrate on legs, hips, knees, ankles and groin. And do some light warm up stretches for arms and wrists. Tomorrow, I'll switch. Important to stretch out the lower back every day. Then for strength, I'll do forearm push-ups, and tricep push-ups and wide stance push-ups. Deep knee bends, and crunches and leg lifts. Then 15 minutes on my elliptical trainer. Oh, I start off warming my body up with 5 minutes on my ellip trainer. I used to lift weights, and jog. But, my body ain't what it used to be, so I scaled back. I now concentrate more on flexibility and ease of movement.

6. Shadow_Fox

Shadow_Fox New Member

I don't take classes I'm getting Lessons from my friend for Free :D
    anyways heres what I do when i'm not feeling lazy :p
    Morning/ Afternoon:
    20 Pushups
    200 Crunches
    20 Crunches (Holding Each for 10 seconds)
    Side or Front Splits and holding them for a little bit

Night Time:
    10 Pushups
    100 Crunches
    10 Crunches (same Thing Holding for 10 Seconds)

btw what are pyramid Pushups/situps??

7. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Just a point that no one seemed to cover. NosX wanted to know what the "sideways leaps" were. These are actual part of the leaping skills studied in our system. The sideways variation is simply a wide "shuffling of the feet" to gain distance. You would push off with the right foot while bringing the left foot over (while the whole body is still moving right). As the left foot lands, the right foot is usually still in mid-air before landing itself. This can gain a considerable distance if done properly and perfected over time.