ninja uniform

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by kalari55, Feb 6, 2016.

1. kalari55

kalari55 Valued Member

Dear folks
    What was the name of the garment worn by the ninja beneath the black Jack that resembled a fish net.?why did they wear that?

2. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Do you think that someone whose job is to act as a spy would wear uniform?

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Your thinking of fictional movies.

The clue is in the name fictional!

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Fishnet? Are you thinking of kinky ninjers?

Do you study any martial arts or are you just looking for books, vids, etc?

5. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Ok I'll bite, though I'll happily be corrected as I may be wrong.

The stylised fishnet style garmet that you are talking about appears in many ninja films TV series and comics from the 1950's onwards. Check out a series called Onmitsu Kenshin (1962-1964) where all the ninjas wear what you are describing, a criss crossed underlayer beneath their black garmets.

Thing is this criss crossed underlayer appears in period art and prints right back to the 1850's (and possibly beyond). The problem is that if you compare those ninja prints with other more detailed prints from that time it looks like that the criss cross pattern was a shorthand styalised way of drawring what was chainmail. On the ninja prints, which were little better than sketches and cartoons they are often just black and white, but on other historical prints represent other warriors such as samurai the criss crossed pattern are coloured in with a metallic sheen

Much like in the Hollywood 1930's made rubbish glittery undersuits for actors when they dressed as medieval knights, so it may be that in Japan the criss crossed pattern was used to represent chainmail. I think this criss cross pattern was then transmitted from the visual media of prints and then the costume department of historical japanes films and shows somewhere along the line forgot that it was meant to represent chainmail and started simply to draw fishnets - (after all thats what the period art looked like). Either that or they were simply lazy and rather than create chainmail costumes they decided to save money, much like hollywood with their knights in the 1930's and just draw what was in the prints, hoping that the audience didnt know any better (and its seems they were correct!)

Again this is only my theory.

6. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

I believe, which someone already mentioned, that it was a representation of kusari gusoku (chainmail).

7. kalari55

kalari55 Valued Member

I studied taekwondo for six years starting from 1992 ...dont under estimate me ...the questions i am asking are genuine..what i was watching i wanted to have some answers...by the way are you a descendent of bruce lee to ask questions like that...?

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

No they aren't - they are an "impression" of something: see above answers

Yes I am

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Lee>Inosanto>Banda>me.

Does that count?

Edit. Damn, Hannibal beat me to it.

10. Hannibal

VIKINGED!!!!!

It's like being "ninjered" but has more swear words, alcohol and an axe

11. Simon

Now there's a signature for you.

12. kalari55

kalari55 Valued Member

Tell me why did bruce lee die?? Dont say he was drugged murdered...or something else since you are his family member you should know....

13. Simon

Okay, fun over.

kalari55, you are posting in the Ninjutsu forum, which is very closely monitored and I suggest you read the forum rules before posting again.

If you have a question regarding Bruce lee, then post it in the relevant forum.

14. Hannibal

Google it

Also you didn't say family member

Lee->Inosanto->Lee Banda->Me
    Lee->Bustillo->Lee Banda->Me
    Lee->Inosanto->Vunak->Me
    Lee->Inosanto->Vunak->Harinder Singh->Me
    Lee->Bustillo->Harinder Singh-> Me

and if you want to get technical and include seminars

Lee->Inosanto->Me
    Lee->Bustillo->Me

And here is a picture of me after eating a delightful meal with Phoebe Lee - Bruce's sister

[​IMG]

15. kalari55

kalari55 Valued Member

I am full aware of the rules and i didnt start it either...why dont you give some advice to cannibal...i just asked a question which was not offending to anybody...after all we are humans who are reading this.... do we need cannibals here???

16. Simon

If you are aware of the rules you'll know the correct course of action regarding a MOD decision is to use the PM function.

Discuss Ninja uniforms or don't post.

Simples.

17. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

That's a weird response to my question.

Should I assume you don't like people questioning your posts?

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You should assume that, since Simon has already addressed the topic drift that kalari has engaged in, and warned him against continuing, your responding to that topic drift is also off the table.

19. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Ok lets get this back on track and put more interesting questions:

If the fish-net design is indeed representative of chain-mail - (kusari gusoku)

Then:
    A) Are there any surviving examples? Typically shinobi or otherwise?
    B) If so how do they do compare with other examples of chain-mail,
    C) Has anybody in the X-Kans attempted Togakure Ryu techniques, taijutsu or otherwise in chainmail and do they have any interesting observations concearning this.

20. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member