Nihontodo: Combative Kenjutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by awakentheronin, Jan 25, 2011.

1. awakentheronin

awakentheronin New Member

And why is that?

2. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Why it irritates folks:

-"Combative" kenjutsu?
    -"Master" dave? It is very clear he is not a master. Showing respect can be don in other ways than hyping someone up.
    -Gloves?
    -Music that do not match in a demo.
    -No hakama in a demo. And the head wear? And the rest of the cloths, flashy.
    -You representing it here and elsewhere, this and many other forums is concerned with traditional and legitimate schools/linages.
    -The sparring does not look like something new.
    -You guys are trying to enter our arena, comparing yours with ours, when wee feel that it is not comparable.
    -Claiming ties with Kashima Shin-ryu to get recognized, but that does not work because nihontodo are not able to stand on its own legs in our eyes.

We have seen it all before. Someone wants to start something new but they are not able to stand on their own, so they claim ties with what we respect.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Lack of notability, lack of secondary sources about the art. It's basically just a club advert page.

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Don't see why it should, it's not that rough. The hits are controlled and with feders. If you were doing it will re-enactment swords it would be alot worse.

The Bear.

5. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

What scares you more? The fact that we might be right, or the fact that you have been duped?

Got direct contact details?

6. awakentheronin

7. awakentheronin

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

It's obvious the chap is no swordsman. You can see that right off with his movements. Excusable if he is just creating a study group for group learning but allowing the term "Master".

The Bear.

9. ScottUK

Nope, I see a contact form, but nothing that tells me it goes direct to The Master.

No, that means I'd have to join your little FB group.

Oh, and I note you can't answer direct questions?

10. ludde

ludde Valued Member

One of them? How many lookalikes is there?

They are using foam... Again, naming it combative kenjutsu and things like real kenjutsu does not make it more true.

Small dogs bark louder, big dogs dont need to.

11. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

With all due respect, after studying real kenjutsu and other sword related disciplines in Japan for a little over a decade and subsequently visiting my teachers in Japan twice a year over the past 5 years for months at a time, I can definately tell you that this is not real kenjutsu by any stretch of the imagination.

I am terribly sorry to burst your bubble.

This happened to me once when I was young in a modern self defence oriented jujutsu system in the UK. The head teacher was bandying around a number of spurious claims. I had doubts read up on them and left for Japan.
    Turns out that my suspicions were correct, he was decieving his students with tall tales.

12. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Heh

13. ScottUK

Why do all the feebs pretend to teach kenjutsu? If I was a BS artist, I would choose something cooler than kenjutsu. Maybe shuko-jutsu or kusarigama-do or yabusamejiiiiiitsu.

14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Weeabos are drawn to it like moths to a flame. Isn't that how the saying goes? "You catch more weeabos with a katana"?

Best regards,

-Mark

15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Not as in "abject fear", but as in "holy crap", that's some good stuff, and I'd be hard pressed to hold my own with them. Sure would be fun.

Those feders are actually quite stout. I remember them being over 3.5 lbs.

Best regards,

-Mark

16. ScottUK

17. Kogusoku

This is going to be Epic!

18. Kogusoku

Ooh it's a right car crash.

Some fellas don't know about giving a fella enough rope to hang himself with.
    Some subtlety would have been good on that thread.

19. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I agree, but too many people were too full of self-righteous indignation. :)
    Such is life!

20. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

So....Flakier than a box of Frosties being eaten by a bloke with dandruff?
    That's basically what it is? No?