Nihontodo: Combative Kenjutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by awakentheronin, Jan 25, 2011.

1. awakentheronin

awakentheronin New Member

Hi everyone,

Just to share with all of you the art of Nihontodo, combative kenjutsu. Where we can strike at each other more freely than modern Kendo.

Nihontodo was created by Master Dave. Attached is a photo of him.

We are dedicated to teaching and practicing Kenjutsu.

Here is our Sensei training video: www.youtube.com/?v=2Xzt-21_q90

Thank you

Attached Files:

• dave.jpg
      dave.jpg
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views:
  2. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Where are you striking more "freely" than modern Kendo?

I'd also suggest some grappling be allowed..And cover your shins, because being hit there hurts like buggery...Also, if you're aiming at making the keiko more "kenjutsu" based, perhaps use a little less focus on "stick hitting" (as a method of clearing or distraction), since doing so is not so combative with "real" swords, and only really works as in the video if you're using shinai.. (Not to say it isn't done..Just that the more you do it, the more damage your sword will have...)

Looking forward to hearing more..

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Just out of interest do you follow the usual practices of Kendo or are you using different methods? I did not see what I would have thought to be 'classical' techniques for the attacks on the video (in my very limited experience). I would be interested in how you are allowed to strike, what you consider valid targets and if there are any other rules etc that might help us to understand what your school does?

Thank you

powchoy

4. awakentheronin

We do not use modern Kendo methods, we use Kenjutsu.

Previously we were doing Sports Chanbara, but later Master Dave wanted more realism so we started using Shinai, and practiced Kenjutsu.

5. fifthchamber

I think that's what Powchoy and I meant....In what way does your style differ from Kendo? What targets are accepted, what rules are used? And if you're aiming at doing Kenjutsu, why do you use the shinai in the way you do?

6. awakentheronin

I think the biggest difference is we can do locks and takedowns.

The shinai is used as demonstrated in the video because it's more realistic. =)

7. fifthchamber

Shinai are realistic? You mean closer to swords? I'd disagree, but okay...I guess what I meant was that if your aim is to train "shiai kenjutsu" then why do you use the shinai as sticks? Rather than as "swords"....That's all..

You do use takedowns? Interesting! There weren't any in the video you posted....Maybe you could post a video showing some of those and how they're used...

My school does this too...We spar using shinai and whole body targets...But it hurts, and there's a lot less "jumping around", perhaps due to your background in Sports Chanbara?

Thanks for letting me know

8. awakentheronin

Hi, what do you mean by using the shinai as sticks?
    We are training to be proficient in the use of 'shinken', a real Samurai sword.

9. ludde

ludde Valued Member

You can say that you use the shinai as swords all day long, but it does not look like it.

What is the background other than chanbara? Where does the presumed kenjutsu training come from?

10. awakentheronin

Hi Ludde, please watch our Battodo video: [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_UFNmE3MLU"]YouTube - NihontoDo Battodo Kata[/ame]

As you can see, we train not only with Shinai =)

11. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

FYI - Wikipedia

''Modern kendo techniques comprise both strikes and thrusts. Strikes are only made towards specified target areas (打突-部位 datotsu-bui?) on the wrists, head, or body, all of which are protected by armour. The targets are men, sayu-men or yoko-men (upper left or right side of the men), the right kote at any time, the left kote when it is in a raised position, and the left or right side of the dō. Thrusts (突き tsuki?) are only allowed to the throat. However, since an incorrectly performed thrust could cause serious injury to the opponent's neck, thrusting techniques in free practice and competition are often restricted to senior dan graded kendōka.''

I remember the attacks being very distinct and the string edge of the shinai is thought of as the 'blade' edge so attacks were always directed using the edge of the blade, there was forward hip motion etc.. Your attacks did not seem to use the shinai in the way that the kendo I have seen used the shinai. I hope this helps to show why I have asked the questions I have asked.

powchoy

12. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You know that demonstrating Japanese sword arts publically without a hakama in budo circles is extremely poor form, right?

13. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

ummm. this might be a troll post but did anyone else read the title of this topic as NINTENDO and not NIHONDOTO???

14. fifthchamber

As Ludde pointed out, the videos you've posted show the Shinai being used as sticks...You're battering the crap out of the opponents stick, rather than trying to cut in anyway at all...Trying that with a shinken would leave you swordless I expect...They don't hold up well to being smacked together any old way...Also the "grappling" was rather lacking from your videos...I'd like to see some of that especially..Since we do much the same thing here...

I'd rather not comment on the Battodo....I see a lot there that I'd be kicked sideways for doing by my teacher..But then mine maybe more concentrated on use and efficiency, rather than just pulling it out...I'd still say that it leaves a fair bit to go...

Good luck!

(Powchoy, the string represents the back of the sword...But I don't think any Kendoka here would say that they use the shinai in the same way they'd use a shinken...It's not the same thing at all...And a hit is not a cut..Which is why I'm baffled by these videos..)..

15. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Truly, I have students who have trained less than a year who can demonstrate techniques better than this.

16. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Do you have a formal training in anything sword related? Or just enthusiast trying things out?

17. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

As I asked on KW:

1 - What are Master Dave's qualifications in Nihontodo?

2 - Who was his teacher?

3 - What style is Nihontodo based on?

4 - What format does your class normally take?

5 - How many of you practice?

6 - What makes of shinken do you use?

7 - James Wee, is that his real name?

18. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Scott's questions are very important.

The reason is, many people on this board practice kenjutsu or battojutsu with a documented lineage going back centuries. Without that kind of provenance, you're going to find quite a lot of skepticism here. To put it simply, they know what they're talking about.

The sparring looked "OK". Nothing that great. Not saying I'm any better. What are the level of the practicioners?

It's not JSA, but here's the level of sparring I aspire to. Note the grappling, takedowns and disarms all seamlessly integrated with bladework. With steel, nonetheless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H7aXtzf7-Lk#t=81s

They scare the hell out of me. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

19. awakentheronin

20. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Haha methinks that wiki page won't last long.