Nice intro to leglock defence

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by icefield, Aug 16, 2021.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Globe trotters delivering again, nice introduction to heel slipping, hiding the heel and not panicking when caught in a heel hook.

Dunc, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Thanks for posting! Globe trotters's YouTube site is amazing, Graugart has done great things since he set this up!

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Lachlan Giles has the best leglock and leglock defense I have seen but this is a close second as an intro to the subject.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Lachlan is my favourite instructor, I can watch his videos drill from it for half an hour, and use it in rolling the same class, both leg locks and non leg locks. I think I've rewatched his adcc trials video about twenty times by now.

axelb and icefield like this.
  5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

His inverted north south choke game influenced me a lot, as did his take on 50/50 and 90/10. Like his k guard as well but as a heavyweight takes a lot of work to pull off lol. His half guard set is without doubt the best work on that position there is.

Deblass's butterfly half guard and kimura work I use a lot, just can't stand the guy himself but as a heavyweight myself I appreciate his game if not him.

Dead_pool likes this.
  6. Dead_pool

The best thing about the extended DDS's popularity is the ability to get their content without paying them. (Obviously I mean free trial videos not pirate videos, you wouldn't steal a policeman's hat etc etc)

Whereas with Lachlan, I go out of my way to buy them legitimately, not only is he a great teacher, and competitor, but he's great at teaching via video, and he's been one of the few BJJ "personalities" to advocate being a sensible human being over the covid period.

Inverted NS to darce? I've been working that a little, mixes in nicely with rolling kimura traps for passing straight to the sub!

7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

With the DDS I like Tonons series linking the systems together, danaher puts me to sleep, gorden makes me want to headbutt the wall.

Giles's used of the leg whilst in inverted north south to clear the arm for the anaconda or rolling inverted from the mounted or side mount guillotine when they are defending the hands really helped improve my choke game.

As did his linking guillotine, arm in guillotine, darc and anaconda depending on how they defend the choke arm.

I found it strange he didn't show any arm triangles but to be honest Halls old tapes on the arm triangle are still world class.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Dead_pool

I need to go back to halls old tapes, I learnt his version of the head and arm, and then it was so successful, I've never had to train the follow on options, now to find the old harddrive they were on!!

axelb likes this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Also a fan of Lachlan's content. I went through a few different instructionals from various legitimate sellers, and his are definitely the best quality for video instructional.

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Halls arm triangle to back take is a great combination, adding in his no gi ezekiel makes it a nice circuit of subs and positions , his stuff was really ahead of the game.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  11. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Nicely articulated. Thanks for sharing
    I find the instructionals that I keep going back to most are Roger’s - I like the simplicity of the presentation and you know everything he shows is really solid
    Probably the factor tipping things in his favour for me is that I train at his place so there’s a consistency between what I learn in class and the online content. I find the online content really helps to add depth, answer those questions like “what detail did I miss when I tried XYZ in rolling?” Etc

12. Dead_pool

The majority of my coaches are definitely an old school upper body postition before upper body submission type, so learning things that are the opposite of that, really help me round out my skillbase.

But if your regularly learning from Roger Gracie et Al, it makes sense to devote most of your bandwidth to that!

I'm currently spamming entries and controling people using different leg lock positions, and then bailing to a guard pass/top side control, R dojo style, seems to be a good way of training both options safely with new people.

axelb and Dunc like this.
  13. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Luckily my original coach was a shooto guy and acknowledged as one of the best early leglock coaches in the UK even before he started training with roli delgado and the Billy Robinson, but the game has moved on a bit especially the defense.

I think the whole bit about false positives was very useful it's a bit like arm bars new people tap early and you think your arm bar is tight then you roll in competition and suddenly you are fully extended and they don't do anything and you have no where to go.

Oh and if I had access to Roger I wouldn't be looking at dvds either haha

axelb, Dunc and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Dead_pool

I watched this a few months ago, and it helped me understand the context of all the changes that have gone on without being too click bait'y, I was never much of a fan of the early lock lock systems, (I was wrong of course) but now I'm old, and it's developed, it's definitely something everyone needs to know.

axelb and Dunc like this.
  15. Dunc

I've been working on my leg lock game more recently
    Probably it fits into the "If the opportunity presents itself" category for me still, but am getting consistent results in the gi with toe holds and estima locks
    The problem I find is that once you're attacking an experienced person's foot then your own legs are fairly vulnerable and the better foot locker will tend to win. Whereas in say the top game you have more control with less skill - hope that makes sense

16. Dead_pool

I find the same, but that's partially because I have big gaps in my own leg position skill base, so with people worse then me, I try and enter standard ashi, control them for a bit, then either straight foot lock, transition to a more powerful leg position but bail afterwards to top, or let them stand and work my SLX sweeps/transitions, that way I'm practicing leg skills together with my normal game. It means I'm not so keen to rush with people better then me, so they give me more time to work on things when rolling, mostly!

Then again I'm strictly a hobbyist now, doing the same in a competition class would be difficult!

Dunc likes this.
  17. Dunc

Yeah I don't think I've pulled off a straight foot lock for a while now - in a gi it's way to easy to control your arm and prevent the rotation

18. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

something we discussed recently in class was the concept of holding certain positions for a period of time before applying submission, this was specific to arm bar, and the subject of false positives.
    Instead of applying armbar immediately, work on controlling the position for 5 seconds, this also gives your partner opportunity to work on escapes. I could see this also working for ashi garami also, but I never worked on heel hooks so I don't know if this fits with those types of foot lock?
    I think the theory is that there is a mutual benefit with you and partner, of strengthening the finishing position before applying, and also more opportunity to work on escape instead of early tap.
    This probably depends on the type of training partners you are with.

Dunc and Dead_pool like this.
  19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

The issue with false positives is people tapping early before you have a solid finishing position.

With arm bars as an example I fall back flat to my back and you tap even though my grip and control is loose because you are new scared and I'm going to violently, so I get used to that and in competition with someone who knows their limits you do this and suddenly they don't tap and you have no where to go. No further extension left.

What should happen is I apply the arm bar slowly with control, so tightly that I get a proper tap from a training partner not scared because they know I have control, and that tap is before I have learnt back 45 degrees, so I know not only it's a real tap but also that if my opponent doesn't tap there I still have a huge range of motion left to finish a hard opponent.

So it's partly an issue with your control as you say and partly an issue with your training partner not trusting your control.

With leglocks it's even worse because people tend to throw them on, in a way if they did it with arm bars they would be thrown out the gym.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

With leglocks you need to be able to hold the position, to be able to move through the positions but also to be able finish the lock properly and it can be very hard to do this against a tough opponent if all though your training as soon as you touch the heel hook people tap because they are scared.

Best way to train it is to well, lock up the heel hook apply slowly with control and let your partner tap when they don't feel comfortable, and as they get more comfortable the tap happens later and later