Nice english Ssireum clip

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Dead_pool, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Interesting vid

It never ceases to amaze me how pretty much every single culture has a version of wrestling - always similar, but with subtle differences in execution and aims.

3. Dead_pool

I always think, thats why a lot of MA systems dont cover it as much, because the wrestling was already there, the martial arts school was layered ontop of that, but without it already there all your left with is empty shapes.

4. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Just got back from Korea, and yes the picture VM posted was our group being introduced to Ssireum on the beach training day. That was really great to sample that can't wait to expand on that at the dojang.

6. Dead_pool

Great! How did you find the training? What methods of ssireum did you get exposed too?

7. Little Robin

Little Robin Valued Member

Looks like they are grabbing onto the regular belt - rather than the more elaborate "satba". We have done the same thing in Hapkido class and I really enjoyed it. Gives you a good appreciation of centre of balance for both yourself and your opponent.

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

We were shown three basic techniques, two leg take downs and also what they were calling a belly throw. As you see in the picture we were in full doboks, however our belts served as the traditional gear. It was brief so of course was limited, but they gave us about 45 minutes to try it out on each other. The people that had a wrestling background did much better than those of us that were new to wrestling, I think with some you tubing and practice we can get a flavor of Ssireum and some limited experience. Knowing the powers that be in KSW it's safe to bet that they would bring over a skilled practitioner in the near future to hold seminars...at least I'm going to ask if they could. I always like learning new things and for an older guy this type of grappling is more in my wheelhouse, because once one of you are on the ground or part of your body touches then game over, you don't have to fight until pinned or submitted, I'm too old for that.

9. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Valued Member

Ssireum is great fun and is an excellent way to learn how to keep yourself from being taken down once your opponent has a hold on you.
    I think it's a good complement to our techniques because if someone is able to take you out of position and cause you to lose your balance you can't apply an effective technique.

10. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

Here are some basic instructional vids on techniques:

Leg:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vFqK8fS24A&list=SP7775167B0568688C&index=3"]Ssireum Throws Trips and Sweeps (Wrestling/Grappling) - YouTube[/ame]

Hand/Knee:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM_3aSmOxdo&list=SP7775167B0568688C&index=4"]Ssireum Takedowns - Korean Grappling Techniques - YouTube[/ame]

Trunk/Belly:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_v5NNzb2AU&list=SP7775167B0568688C&index=6"]Ssireum Korean Wrestling Body Throws - YouTube[/ame]