NFL star Ray Rices' video knocking his Fiance out in an elevator: Is this SD?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Is this what a real man looks like?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...s-ravens-ray-rice-domestic-violence-incident/
    Now, most of us here (hopefully all) know this is wrong and completely unacceptable.

My question however is that in today's world of woman and men are equal (which as people they are), should this be considered a woman vs. man incident? Or rather that Rice had his back against a wall... nowhere to go and had a possible "attacker" approaching him?

My question is where does the line of morals of not hitting a woman unless threatened with a weapon or some other possible real danger and the line of it shouldn't be viewed as a woman, but a possible "attacker"?

Either way, the guy IMO is a complete idiot, loser, dick even? This sort of thing gets me more than highly annoyed.

2. Saved_in_Blood

I forgot to add that they magically made up and were married a month or so after this happened.... ahhhh love hurts sometimes I guess.

You think this will be on Rice's greatest hits reel later?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Everyone moving towards you with aggression should be viewed as an "attacker" - that does not mean that teh force applied to repel said attack is identical though

size, strength, skill, weapons, environment, numbers, age, injury, intoxication etc... will all play a role in determining the response (or more frequently determining if a response was appropriate AFTER the event)

Being a woman in and of itself does not mean you will not be struck - nor should it

His response here was WAY out of proportion to the threat posed, and as he initiated physicality there is even less excuse for his actions

4. Saved_in_Blood

Agreed... but lawyers being the snakes they are... wouldn't they attempt to make this case for their client and actually be able to possibly make it sadly work?

5. Hannibal

They can TRY for sure...it may even work. Given that he started it and outweighs her by over 100lbs it will be hard though

6. Saved_in_Blood

Right... and this would be the pathetic part.

7. Hannibal

I ammended the reply a bit - I can't see it working as a defense. The only thing they can do is mitigate it, and the fact she married him AFTER this would be how they would lever it

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

In order to argue self defence, he'd have to convince a jury that he genuinely feared for his safety. The prosecution will show him tackling a load of 300lbs behemoths on the field and ask him how he can face down a herd of rhino's in lycra, but he was so afraid of a small woman that he had no choice but to punch her in the face.

I know which side I'd rather be on.

9. Saved_in_Blood

This is the legal system though... a very flawed legal system. Part of my point of the thread is that while I agree that a woman can certainly be dangerous... she had no weapon that could be seen... as far as we know she had no training of any sort that she could ever be considered a threat, yet there is a chance that one could get out of trouble for such an act is more than pathetic.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't understand, how is the legal system flawed? you've mentioned lawyers and the legal system a couple times, so i'm just wondering.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Well... I am saying that a 200+ lb roided up pro football player in TODAY's legal system could make the case that his now wife was attempting to attack and hurt him so he had to defend himself.... against a (taking a guess) 120 lb or so woman who had no weapon and no training. If you watched the video, do you feel that his actions were justified? If so... I am curious as to why. If not, why was such force used (other than just being a woman beater)? To top it all off, he looked as if he was showing no concern for her well being after KOing her, he just drags her around a little, being a pro football player he must know that after an impact, it's always best not to move the person.

What I believe he was doing was attempting to get her out and back to a room hoping both of them were unseen.

My issue with the legal system is that morals have gone out the window. You don't hit anyone for no reason... but a woman you never hit unless you absolutely are in fear of your life. He could have grabbed her and restrained her, called the cops so that he didn't have to hit her, but he didn't. He knocked her unconscious, and then attempted to hide what he did. Legally (even though charges were no pressed to my knowledge), he would have a real chance of getting out of trouble for this incident because of the law vs morals... the law has none and lawyers especially.

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The law is reason free from passion.

You're getting passion all over your reason.

13. Giovanni

of course laws don't have morality; laws are not sentient beings. but, lawyers don't have morals? come on dude. maybe <some> lawyers don't, probably the same percentage of people that don't.

also, yeah, i can think of plenty of situations i'd hit a woman. no person, regardless of sex, gets to attack me or my family. why do you think it's immoral to strike a woman unless it's "life or death"? i'm not talking about abusing a woman i'm in a relationship with or some random woman.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think what SiB is getting at is that the legal system is flawed enough that even with video evidence of wrong doing this guy might still get off.
    Through some loophole or legal lawyer magic or jury nonsense.
    Or if he's convicted will do some community service or an anger management course or something. He'll still keep his high profile job, lucrative sponsorship etc.

In other words...justice will not be served.

15. Giovanni

sure, i get that pa.

i doubt the guy will ever get a sponsorship here on out. and judging by the reaction to the video, we may have seen the last of the guy on the football field. sure he's made some money up to this point.

i don't know what the story is with the criminal case? any updates on that? like is the city prosecutor looking into it or anything?

16. Saved_in_Blood

I know he was suspended for a whopping 2 games, I'm sure his finances will really suffer from that.

17. Saved_in_Blood

This

18. Giovanni

so what do you suggest the nfl and the municipality do?

19. Giovanni

20. Saved_in_Blood

His career will suffer and he himself will be labeled for the rest of his life. I don't know what they should do... I'm not a member of the NFL to know what sort of punishments should be, or even can be dished out on players who can't control their woman beating habits. It looks poor to them, but then again, many people who watch the game just want to sit back, drink a bunch of beer, scream at the tv like idiots and don't really care one way or the other.