Newbie!

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gonki, May 25, 2013.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Hi, I have some questions based off that picture.

What part of your foot are you intending to hit with? Your foot is at a very ,umm, unique angle for any of the kicks I know.

Was this a front style kick or a side style kick? Where was your crane knee pointing gearing up for this kick?

Why are you not looking at your intended target?

Why are your hands in the position they are in?

Do you practice any kicks with your other foot staying on the ground?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

The heel. It's out the farthest. I try to pull the toes toward the chin.

I am not sure about the style :confused: like I was saying, I'm not very good with MA terminology. What I do is raise the crane knee up at the same time I make the jump, then stretch the foot outwards swiftly. I try to jump off both feet toward the target plus motion of the unfolding knee. You guys may go ahead and say the style is un-MA like all you want but it leveled a street crime assailant quite well. I reckon not every trained MA practitioner who boasts polished moves can claim the same.

Not true. Even on the picture I can see my eye's pupil. I am quite sure I was watching the camera lens when that pic was taken though perhaps with peripheral vision. Maybe it's something I need to work on, I feel that by bending the head down I get most forward-motion torque.

One, for better balance. Two, so I can get a wider swing to deliver a fist punch after landing.

Sure, albeit imo they are less fun and un-dance like. :)

3. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

Yes, and I also beat the life out of the bad guys.

Seriously, are any of you guys in Cambodia? I'm going there next moth and would like to link up so we could cross-check our moves.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Untrained people defend themselves every day from street attacks. A jumping kick on a "street crime assailant" is one of the dumbest things you can do. You are quite fortunate you were not badly injured and/or killed.

Unless the lens was down by your supporting foot, you definitely had your head and eyes down.

I prefer foot kicks myself.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Please. You couldn't even beat the life out of a corpse with what you're doing there.

You are not some kind of martial art prodigy who can magically teach himself how to kick. There are so many flaws with what you're doing that if I tried to type them all the Internet would crash due to data overload.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

1. Sharing - you express your opinion. You don't care about others opinions.

2. Discussion - You express your opinion, You also want to hear other's opinions.

Is this a "sharing" thread or "discussion" thread?

7. Hive

Hive Valued Member

You guys are just getting trolled.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Hi Gonki,

First clip was funny, cheers. I hear the Olympics are creating a new event for combative Irish dancing you might want to check it out. :D

If you are interested in training then let us know what clubs are in your area, maybe someone can recommend one. As it is if you continue with your current practice you will drill lots of bad habits.

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Doesn't mean we can't have fun with him while he's here.

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

You have offended my famiwy,and you have offended the spiwit of Hugh O'Neill.

Anyway...

Gonki,there's no particular reason to doubt you took care of a miscreant with some flying kick. I knew an untrained individual who did that.Sometimes the unexpected,even if not particularly good techniquewise can work. Wouldn't have too much confidence in it,tho'. Next time you might discover yourself on the ground with the other guy's foot making sure you won't be contributing to the gene pool.

That didn't happen to the guy I knew,but the second time he tried his flying kick----well,things didn't go too well for him.

Seriously,go study with someone. If you've a penchant for flying take up TKD , Northern Shaolin or something along those lines.

Oh,and watch out for that knife greeting your totally committed airborne attack.

11. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

I am a nomad in SE Asia :) no idea about the clubs here and I move about constantly. My best chance of practice is being jumped by a street thug.

12. aaradia

Excellent point. Gonna wait for a response to this before I bother with what my next post was going to be.

No sense wasting my time.:D

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I had experience with the following discussion before.

A: Here is my clip ...
    B: My opinion is ...
    A: I have no interest in your opinion. If you don't like my clip, you don't have to watch it.
    B: ... :bang:

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You are in Asia. This is important for two reasons. 1 there are a plethora of schools that do short term training, so being a nomad won't be a problem. And 2, being in Asia you aren't going to be defending against one thug but probably 5 or more.

If you really want to train, you'll find a teacher and get it done.

Welcome to the forums.

15. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

If you're in Southeast Asia there must be Muay Thai all over the place. Wherever you find yourself get to your local Muay Thai gym. That should be good. Muay Thai is awesome stuff if you've got the stones for it.

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Looks like Bez from the Happy Mondays. Go find a system and train, its never too late...

Hardest step is always the first...

Osu!

Dan93

17. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Jump kicks are fun, and they are a really cool way to floor an opponent. But seriously now, how many of us seriously trains kicks like these high flying ones to floor opponents when a front kick to the cojones and a punch to the chin can do the same if not better with a higher success rate. If you had quick transitions then yes that'd be great, but usually to build the explosive power plus the technique that you would want so that you can have it to be that fast, you'd really need a teacher. More often than not, people that try jump kicks have to bend their knees a poop ton and have to bring their hands down, much to slow a transition for a street fight scenario. These kicks may land occasionally, but it is much harder to change the trajectory of your kick in mid air than it is while you have one foot planted on the ground. Head kicks are also very dangerous against a completely un stunned opponent because of the possibility of to grab your leg and sweep the other, and then a punch which they can put their whole weight, IN ADDITION TO GRAVITY, behind.

18. aaradia

Sigh, you want to be practicing BEFORE the attack by the street thug. being attacked is when you put that practice into effect.

Your best chance of practice is to stop making escuses and find a school to train in. If it is important enough to you, you will find a way.

19. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Indeed. I once saw a vid of Kazushi Sakuraba knock out of the Gracies (IDR which one) with a simple but very swift kick to the head.

20. Gonki

Gonki Valued Member

I don't know what counts for fast but I go from a standing position to throwing the striking foot forward quickly. I trained that move in endless repetition and practiced having my striking foot grabbed (by other practicing amateurs) and what I do is bend it at the knee to where I can deliver a descent elbow or fist punch. In practice if a guy gets hold of my striking foot then his hands get busy holding it which gives me the opening I need to deliver an elbow jab + a shower of fist punches. It may or may not be a good idea to get hold of the striking foot in that move, so I dk really. A good opponent might find a way of ducking the punches somehow.