Newbie to MA, starting Zen Kempo Jujitsu

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Angus101, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

He has very very stiff hips.

Squating will help this.

2. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

He's in his early 60s, so he may be getting a bit creaky!

3. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I'm glad you are still enjoying it; however that wasn't much better than the first video you posted. For one, it looks like he would have eaten it more than a couple times if his partner had decided to actually throw the second punch there.

It might be time for you to try something different just for a different perspective. Someone had suggested BJJ to you earlier. In my opinion, I believe it will be enlightening for you.

Obviously you can do what you like; however you don't have that much time invested in this and my suggestion is to do it now instead of 5, 10, etc years down the road when you have your epiphany.

Good luck

4. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Cheers for your thoughts.

Think I'll stick with it. Over the past year I've spoken to all of the people at the club and they've all tried different clubs around the county and are all glad they've found/stuck with ZKRJJ.

There's also the practicalities involved; it's 4 miles from my house, which is important when you have a wife, a 7 month old daughter and not a lot of time to spare! I'm sure there are better clubs around the country but this is ultra-convenient, good fun and enjoyable for me.

In regards to the "2nd punch", he does teach two-punch block moves against say a lead hand jab-right cross combo, so it is there at higher levels. I can just about deal with reacting to a single type of punch at the moment so I'm not even worried about dealing with two just yet!

However I'm not a sucker, I haven't got tunnel vision, I always keep an open mind. To be fair, he's organising a seminar with some other clubs soon so it's not as if he's afraid of mixing and comparing with other clubs, or letting his students see the differences.

5. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Luke Holloway? Oh, the dude that has no traceable training history and charges something like 3 grand to turn you into combat jack if you got a spare weekend lol.
    Luke Holloway is a flash in the pan, that turned out to be fools gold :)

Hey Angus, good to hear you are getting something out of your training. Keep at it, and keep those eyes open! :cool:

6. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Yeah I've been reading stuff about him since! He must've learnt it somewhere though? It does look pretty technical. Well my point was that it's not flashy stuff with knifes we learn, just block it, get in a strike and run like fun. Or just hand over the money and run until you get up to a very comfortable level. Unless I turn out to be some sort of ninja, if I've got 4 pints in me and someone's squaring up to me with a knife, I'm not going to be thinking "Yeah I'll just chi-sau this out of the way no probs..."

I like the look of Panantukan though, might give that a go in a few years once I've learnt the basics to compare and hopefully integrate.

:D

7. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Fair enough and as long as you are honest about what you are looking to get out of your training which it sounds like you are above (bolded). There is nothing wrong with this.

However, that is not what you said in your original post : "Seems like the perfect thing for me to be able to defend myself in "What are you looking at?" type situations late at night."

If that is the case then you may want to explore further.

Also, it is important to point out that there are some classic red flags here particularly with his creation of his own style and there appears to be some ambiguity in certain things.

Lastly it's good that he is having seminars with other clubs; however are those clubs part of his "British Kempo Federation" group?

Anyways good luck

8. Angus101

Angus101 Valued Member

Well I think any half decent martial arts will at least build my confidence in situations like that. Anything is probably better than nothing, and I'm not gung-ho so I don't think I'd be using a little knowledge dangerously if you understand. As I said, once I've got myself to a decent level I will start to explore more.

No, the clubs are outside of the umbrella, other federations.

:D