Newbie to Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by KarateKid1975, Feb 9, 2003.

1. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Hiya all. I just started Judo. I had an "informal" first class yesterday. My first real class is next saturday. I am a member of Niagara Judo Yudanshakai and the United States Judo Fed. Anyone else a member of one (or both) of these feds?

Anyways, I look forward to talking with other Judoka's :) Ok, now I go nurse me aching bones (from breakfalls).

2. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Update: I found a new school that mixes TKD and Judo, so I joined there. Much better than the one I was at (TKD that is). Much cheaper than both seperate, too. But I still need help with Judo. I'm getting the throws down, but the grappling part is hard. Any advice for a beginner?

3. Jim

Jim New Member

Um, Laurie a bit hard to advise you as I don't know what you're having trouble with... Can you be a bit more specific?

4. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Grappling in general. Maybe it's the "off balancing" thing. When you start standing, you are supposed to "off-balance" your partner, and I can't seem to do that, and they take me down and give me a "whoopin." ggggrrrrrr. It's hard to explain from a beginners point of view. Plus the "mount." I can't get out of it :( When someone has me on the ground, and I'm supposed to defend ....... yea right. Doesn't happen. I'm clue-less. Now, if it's TKD related stuff, I'm pretty good at, but I am a total beginner in Judo.

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

think ur life depends on it and off balance ur opponent.
    ur center is the key, stay close to ur center and make him/her comes into u rather than go n reach...
    Best of luck with break falls too
    i didn't had much problem when i learnt falls, but they sure r tuff ...

-TkdWarrior-

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

A reasonably wide base will increase your balance and reduce your opponents ability to off-balance you (kusushi), however it does make it harder to throw your opp from here as he/she will see you coming a mile off.
    I would use this to initially stay on your feet and as you get better, narrow the base slightly so you can attack quicker. Don't get stuck here or you won't improve. Remember, your initial aim is to not get thrown.

Also don't let your opp dictate the pace, ask your instructor to show you some grip fighting drills as this is usually where Judo bouts are one or lost.

And I know this is going to sound really annoying but the mount, DON'T let them get you in it. If somebody has a reasonable knowledge of ground control you ain't getting out.

Hope this helps.

Col

7. Jim

Jim New Member

On the plus side I can tell you that anyone I've ever trained with you've been a 'natural' at grappling haven't gone the distance. Something about the motivation I would expect.

On the negative, it gets more difficult.

The school you are attending sounds like they have just thrown you in the deep end without giving you a proper grounding of some tai-sabaki (body management) skills and some basic throw-for-throw skills first. This is a bit disheartening.

I know that there are some schools that will do this just to sort the poo from the clay (so to speak) but I hope that if you show that you are intending to attend for a while that they bring you up to speed with some of the skills necessary before too long.

Keep us updated please and don't lose heart.

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Laurie,

I bet you could get out if you really wanted to. :D

Actually, good for you for taking up Judo, I've been thinking about it myself.

Hmmm, nice soft mats zzzzzzzz

9. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

TkdWarrior,

Don't worry, I got really good at breakfalls :D They hurt like a b**ch at first, but it's automatic for me now.

Jim,

We did do (still do) throw for throw drills. We even do something similar to "push hands" to off balance your partner, but I can't seem to put it together when we grapple :(

10. Jim

Jim New Member

Push hands... Now that's a way to keep the family entertained for hours. Just one step up from 'touched you last' and just as likely to drive you nuts.

Determination is the key to training. You'll find that it'll 'click' all of a sudden and you'll think 'Why didn't I always do it like this'.

On a side note, I did a small demo last night (the first demo in about 10 years) to help out my brother-in-law with his verbal presentation for English at school. He was speaking about the origins of Ju Jitsu, it's application and effectiveness and I threw him with Uki Goshi (Hip Throw) and the crowd went nuts! They thought I'd broken him up or something. Very funny. You forget how people will react if they haven't seen things like that before.

Hope things continue well for you in Judo training and keep us posted.

11. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Thanks. I'll prolly post Tuesday night (grappling night). I'll try some of the advice here :)

12. Mark

Mark New Member

This is very true, I've been practicing Judo for 1 year now and at last it's all starting to piece together.

As for the mount, my unexpert opinion is to pull your oponent towards you and hold him tight, then trap his arm and leg and roll him to the side, but be careful because it's certain your oponent will then try to choke you out when you do this. If he is raised up, try popping him/her in the air quickly then roll him to the side.