Newbie questions

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by RedSkaNite, Jun 16, 2003.

1. RedSkaNite

RedSkaNite New Member

I am thinking about starting Muay Thai. Actually, I am trying to decide on which MA to start, and Muay Thai is in my top 3. I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind taking the time to answer.

First off, I am 26 years old, 5'10", 235 lbs. Definatly out of shape, but not all fat. I have a good amount of muscle on a stocky frame. Built like a football player. Actually was a football player =). I know I need to gain some (alot!) of conditioning. I hear, over and over, how intense Muay Thai is. I am afrad it may be too intense for someone just starting, like myself. Is it hard to begin? Should I maybe do something else first?

Also Do you think Muay Thai is a good choice for someone with my build? I know people say pick the style you like, but It wouldn't hurt to hear your opinions as I know almost nothing about various styles of MA's

2. darlph

darlph New Member

I think it depends on how far you want to go and how good your legs are. Do you want to compete? Try to get in a school and veiw their classes before you choose any style. You could have visited 6 "karate" schools before you find the right one. There are some other threads in regard to what do I choose? Skim through the previous threads. There are lots of good thoughts there. AND........................god luck and welcome.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

A good Muay Thai gym would be a great place for you to get in shape slowly & safely. Go and talk to the students & see what they are like and what their opinions are.

4. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Jump right in, dude! There's no better way to pick up the fitness by doing it. :)

5. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy New Member

Yeah, Muay Thai is definitly VERY good for physical fitness, and if you have a nice instructor who doesn't push you too far, I doubt it would be TOO intnese. As for the combat skill side of it, it's VERY simple. No fancy stuff, just all basic moves that you can probably already do.

It's all about perfecting those basic moves rather than learning loads of silly fancy moves that will get you no where in a fight. (except for some moves but you don't learn them very soon).

For example, someone tried to grapple you, Karate teaches "do this then that then this grab them here and if they havn't ripped your nuts off by now you SHOULD be able to get out of the grapple" whereas in Thai Boxing, someone grabs you, you elbow the little **** in the head....

I think Muay Thai is probably one of (if not, THE) most quick to learn martial arts. It's like Kick Boxing but better :p

Last edited: Jul 4, 2003
  6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Red Ska,
    I'd say that Muay Thai was a good choice for anyone of any build. Depends, obviously on what you are looking for in a Martial Art and then if you can find a good club/ teacher etc.

Said good teacher should see that you are a tad out of condition and not push you too hard to begin with (Char Char) .

You'll find that you'll get to your fighting weight within about 1 year training safely and carefully. Your 'Fighting Weight' being about 25-35 pounds lighter than your 'normal weight, normal 18 percent of body fat' (not exact science-but roughly approximate).

That doesn't mean to say that you'll have to fight (Most don't because it's not what they are training for), just that you'll now be leaner cleaner self-esteeemer...

Don't be too woried about the Intensity of the Training. If you've played Football (Do you mean American Football not 'Soccer'?), then you'll be used to training hard I'm sure. As I say that'll all build up slowly...

Good Luck.

7. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

In your point of view, does that make it any less effective?

8. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy New Member

not at all.

(btw KickBoxers, don't be angry at me, I just don't like you... I have something against kickboxing, I just feel that it's Thai Boxing with some of the better bits taken out. :p)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2003
  9. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Depends also on what someone means by the term 'KickBoxing'.

I.e are they talking about the sport Full Contact Karate as developed in the 1970's in the States? Characterised by the limited striking area of above the waist only as well as spinning back fist and spinning sweeps.

Or are they talking about K-1 style stuff, where all the techniques are 'appropriated' from Muay Thai anyway? Muay Thai lite?

Also Kickboxing is a sport solely. Muay Thai is a Martial Art and a Sport, with Ring Rules techniques and non-Rules techniques...

10. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy New Member

Which is why I don't like it. I don't like martial arts for a sport, I doubt I will ever do competitions. I need it for defence of the ones I care for, myself, and the innocent, not to show off with. Therefore Kickboxing is disliked by me...

11. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

i would mate, but i dont really go for men, if you catch my drift. im more of a ladies man :D

12. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

bro, muay thai is an excellent way to lose those extra pounds...look I weigh like 90lbs soaking wet and even I lost weight. On top of that, it'll cut your body up real nice...your abs, your legs, arms everything becomes toned and defined. The only knock is that there is no magic to it all...you just need dedication and practice. Don't be afraid to sweat and condition yourself.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Whew! And I thought I was the only one under 110 lbs...lol ;)

Geez! I need to gain some weight.....

Sorry - Random rant ;)

|Cain|

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hey Cain - I have about 40lbs going spare mate - you're welcome to it LOL!

15. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

bagsy i get the Yoda mass :D

16. Cain

Cain New Member

40 lbs?

I could use some lol! :D

It's time for me to b'come thunder thighs ;)

|Cain|

17. SrobWalker

SrobWalker New Member

RedSkaNite,
    I am new , just like you , I started 1.5 months ago.
    1.5 months ago i was 200 LBS. with that spare tire around my waist. I am now about 187 with only a little reminder of my weight around my waist. I have seen excelent results with Mauy Thai. I Train 2 times a week (private lessons) . I eat smart, low fat, very low carb and lots of situps. 200-400 / Day . My point just like many have already said--> Jump right in, an instructor is not going to beat you to the ground and if they do, you should not be training with them anyway. The lessons are for you not them , we already know they could Crush us. That is why we want them to train us . As far as the training,
    it is the hardest I have done in my life. But worth it. loving every minute of it. I have heard that Mauy Thai is one of the few MA's that is effective with in the first few months of training unlike alot of other MA's. Any other opinions out there???

RedSkaNite,, you asked would Mauy Thai be too intense for someone just starting , I would say it would depend on your teacher. If your teacher is trying to prove how bad ass he is then he is not a good teacher. once again the lessons are for YOU not them. reasearch the background of your trainer and you should be able to make a wise choice.

Till Then

I second what nicolo said above.

Anyone in Southern Cali looking for a sparing partner.