Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by LoreStrider, Nov 24, 2020.

1. LoreStrider

LoreStrider New Member

Body weight:50kg
    Height. : 5'4"
    Eyesight. :Weak(-2.5)
    Age. :25yrs old
    Physique. :Thin and weak

I was born weak and sick(parents and siblings also wonder how I survived). Grew up sheltered.
    I may or may not have good and bad points about myself (bcz idk).I have no past experience in relation to workout of any kind. So I wanna ask that is their any hope for me to get strong and learn martial arts. I have zero knowledge in regards to martial arts/workouts. If so can you please guide me. I don't know what to do and how to do. Here(where's I'm from) is no gym or any martial arts instructor. I can spend 1hour early morning at 5/6 O'clock and two hours in the evening.

:-Though I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong section.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome to MAP! :)

Depending on your definition of martial arts, it's really not possible to learn without an Instructor and training partners.

What you can do is get yourself into good physical shape and keep looking for opportunities to learn.

Do you have access to any weights or training equipment, could you make some, or does your training need to be all bodyweight?

LoreStrider likes this.
  3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Start - small. Both Fitness and martial arts are like tidying your bedroom - it is not something that you do once and then say "ok done that! time to move on" it is something that you do as part of your daily life. it is very much a marathon not a sprint.

the key is to build good habits. It is easier to build good habits if you start small. rather than a big gesture of up to 3 hours a day start with
    committing yourself to 20-30 minutes a day, 3 days a week.

for fitness there is cardio, stretching, and strength.

for cardio - if it is possible for you to run or ride a bike safely where you live I would recommend that for cardio. If you have the funds, a static bike is great for putting in front of the tv 2o minutes a day.

For strength I am sure that people on this site could point you towards good you tube videos on how to correctly do, press-ups, sit ups etc. (they really do build strength when done correctly).

For flexibility and for posture (vital for martial arts) - yoga is good.

Regarding eyesight. - most arts will allow you to ware glasses for the majority of lessons. and even for light / controlled sparring. for anything with strikes to the face, you have to take them off, or where soft contacts - i sparred for years with soft contacts and they worked fine for the most part.

As far as learning an art, you really do need a teacher. - are you sure that there are no arts available in your area? boxing, judo, wrestling, are just as good arts as shaolin - hard rock body style steel wire boxing.

if you cant find a teacher right now, find a sport that is practiced in your area that you think you might enjoy, join a club, and start playing and practicing with people. it will get you fitter, stronger, and healthier.

LoreStrider likes this.
  4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Note - grappling and eyesight. depth perception is important for grip fighting but after then feel becomes far more important. i always found it fine to grapple without glasses once I had a contact with the opponent.

LoreStrider likes this.
  5. LoreStrider

LoreStrider New Member

I can make some. Following home made guides on internet.

6. LoreStrider

LoreStrider New Member

I'm from extremely backward town. It's difficult to find even one fast food point and martial teacher is pretty far to find.

7. LoreStrider

LoreStrider New Member

Thanks for your valuable opinion and guidance. So I have general idea where and how to start but no material to follow.
    I googled and found lots of material but now I don't know where to start. It's like I'm lost in the ocean of exercises. I need a proper guide. So can someone help me in that regard like a teacher. I know I'm wasting you good people's time but this is the only place where I thought I could get something.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you have no equipment, there's basically 4 exercises you can do.

1) running,
    2) press ups
    3) sit ups.
    4) squats.

For running, every other day, just go for a gentle run, run a set route, it doesn't have to be fair, and if after a week or so you feel like you could go further, increase the distance, if you get sore, have a rest day. You can download couch to 4k apps onto a smart phone if you have one.

For exercises, just pick one, pick the easiest way of doing it (press ups on knees, squats on and off a high chair etc) and just do 3 lots of 10, if after a week it's too easy do more repatitions, or do more sets of them, so 3 lots of 15, or 4 lots of 10, it doesn't really matter which way round when you start.

Do these every other day, then after a few weeks if you want to do more, do the other exercises in the days in-between, or on the same day, and go running on the other days, it's important to do something everyday so it becomes a habit.

9. LoreStrider

LoreStrider New Member

I appreciate your guidance. I followed steps given in homeworkout app (from playstore) for two or three days and I didn't feel soar. But I still wanted some pro's guide that's why I asked in this forum for help. I'll work keeping your points in mind. Thanks.

Edit:- I wanna know one thing that do I need to workout on specific time daily or can I just do it anytime of the day. For example: If I exercised in the morning today then can I exercise in the evening tomorrow?

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

a vital point - key to learning martial arts but also for life in general.

Habit replaces discipline.

Discipline is difficult, making a special effort to train after a hard day at work or to train outdoors in the rain or snow.

Habit is easy. Every wednesday a 7.55 pm for the past 15 years I head out the door to go teach a kung fu class, rain or shine, tired or not. its just something I do.

it is way easier to keep doing anything if you have a regular weekly schedule. fitness and martial arts are no exception.

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

side note - the first Wednesday of covid lockdown when I had to cancel the class - really sucked.

LoreStrider likes this.
  12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Yeah I agree with Tom and Fusen, a lot of us have been small and weak. Good news is that you can get stronger but that comes out of forming good habits!

Listen to Fusen, workout often, dont worry about not feeling sore. Dont aim for soreness, aim for progress. 1 more push up or minute longer running.

Regarding eye sight, I've done matches at competition blinded! And there are plenty of blind martial arts folks, Olympic level judo player and the like!

Being stronger and fitter is super important to martial arts. Pre-covid, I was having anxiety attacking from gassing out when getting overwhelmed. Being physically fitter is something you can work on!

Mitch, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  13. LoreStrider

LoreStrider New Member

Hey guys! I started working on basic exercises and now I'm in a pickle. I am thinking of moving out to the city to join martial arts teaching institute and I'm stuck as I am not able to decide which martial arts institute to choose, some teach muy thai, some focus on taekwondo etcetera etcetera. So my question here is, depending on my height, weight and all the things I mentioned here which arts would suit me better?

Mangosteen and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Move to the city to get a good job, sort that out then try a few places out and see what you enjoy the most, the thing you enjoy the most, will get you training the most, and so will be best for YOU!

Well done for starting to exercise!

Mitch, axelb and Mangosteen like this.
  15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Yeah try a few classes and do the thing you enjoy!
    I forced myself to stick at muay thai for years but I hate getting punched. Guess what I dont do anymore?

Mitch likes this.
  16. LoreStrider

LoreStrider New Member

Getting punched!!!!

Mitch and Mangosteen like this.
  17. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

I was a bit younger than you when I first found the martial arts, but I was similar in body type. Martial arts was actually my gateway into working out abs exercise. I found myself wanting to do more to increase my performance in the dojo.

Try out a few different schools and gyms once you’re settled and find one that’s close to your home. (Commuting is a fast way to kill a budding martial arts career, no one wants to travel after a day at work). I’ve found most schools welcoming to new students, pay attention to the instructor and make sure it’s someone you like. Most of all, have fun, work hard and good luck!