Newb question about Petiki Tirsia Kali

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by electrobes, Nov 13, 2003.

1. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

Can someone explain to me more specifically what art this is? I got an email back from a Dojo I emailed and is supposedly very into the practice, not the profit of MA:

"Our facility teaches Petiki Tirsia Kali , combined with modern Arnis , both Filipino martial arts . We stress mainly single stick, dagger, espada dagga and empty hands techniques."

Because I am a newb I am not knowledgable about the specific deiff arts. I was going to do KickBoxing because someone suggested learning an empty hand art, to get a better understanding when entering a weapons art. Well In the above quote he mentions empty hand plus in another email he says that most of his students enter the art without prior experience. If this is true... I would rather take this route, my title to this email was asking about escrima, so I take it this is similar, plus I am wondering if this would be a decent stepping stone to entering the Sais. Thanks everyone this is a great site, I've gotten nothing but great info and motivation from everyone!!

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I'm hoping member (Moderator) Pesilat will see this thread.

He can help I believe. ;)

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

On an entirely different note......

do I need to see a phsychiatrist or does electrobes Avatar look a bit like ..........

well........

..... a certain male organ? :confused:

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Only as a stuffed pilchard does to the leaping salmon. :D

What's a "phsychiatrist"?
    Someone who makes you do pushups before sorting out your head?

5. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

Damnit and poo... I KNEW someone was going to say that!!!! I had to (ug and here's another one) shrink the pic to make the website accept it.. poo.. now I have to change it!.. least I hope I get my question answered ; )

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Ok, on Pekiti. I have experience with it. I actively studied it for approximately two year and occasionally stop back in with my Guro to get a refresher (read as a beat down). Pekiti Tirisa Kali literally translates as "To chop/cut at close range." It's a dynamic weapon based art. At it's heart it is a blade based art. You start working with Rattan sticks (expect that you're going to be developing blisters and calluses at first). The sticks will begin to train you for sword and dagger. In my opinion, when Pekiti moves to the knife is where it really excels. It's a really agressive art. It doesn't play around at all. It's focus is to deal with all situations using an agressive defense. It's a battle tested art (it's currently being used by the Marine Recon units in the Phillipines for Jungle combat).

One of the most important things you'll learn from a good Pekiti instructor is adaptability. You will learn the principles about how each type of weapon works. Once you have that down, you can easily pick up other weapons or objects and understand how to use them. That will help in your desire to learn the Sais.

It is an excellent weapons based art. Provided you've found a good instructor you'll be able to get lots and lots out of it (including empty hands techniques).

More information about art can be found here at the European Pekiti Association:
    http://www.pekiti-tirsia.net/mainfile.php?lang=en&soundsParam=on&file=mainfile

And here's the site for Pekiti Tirsia International, a different US based organization:
    http://www.pekiti-tirsia.com/

I hope this helps. As you might be able to tell I'm a big fan of the art. It's an intense, excellent way to learn weapons.

- Matt

7. electrobes

electrobes Valued Member

Rockon_matt, I love you, that defination is exactly what I am looking for in a martial art! (the aggressive defence part imparticular and weapon training) ::does the mighty dance::

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You may want to keep a look out for MAP member Juramentado.

He trains Pekiti Tirsia in the Philippines.

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

you can log on to: http://www.rochesterkali.com/ and get in touch with brother guro doug. he and brother juramentado are both with the grand tuhon.

10. Matt_Bernius

Shootodog,

Are you one of Guro Doug's students? Or are you one of Guro Jun's Students?

- Matt

11. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Andy :) From the look of it, though, I came in a little late. rockOn_Matt has done a very good job of explaining things :)

Mike

12. Matt_Bernius

Thanks for the compliment Mike (pesilat). It means a lot coming from someone with your experience. Great site btw way!

I just blurt out everything that I could think about Pekiti. (Dang, I wish I had more time because I really want to start taking classes in it again.)

- Matt

13. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Thanks for the props on the site. I'm pretty pleased with it and have had quite a few compliments on it. Does this old computer dog's heart good - I've still got some skills ;)

As far as my experience - I haven't had a lot with Pekiti Tirsia. Had some exposure to it via the Inosanto blend and to Dekiti Tirsia but very little hands on experience with the actual system of Pekiti Tirsia. What I've seen, though, was pretty much summed up in your post :)

Mike

14. shootodog

matt,

i'm with kdl (of guro jun) in the philippines. i am also with the submission dungeon brotherhood which is under the grand tuhon.

15. Matt_Bernius

Thanks for the info shootodog. I was one of Guro Doug's old students (I haven't been able to traing with him in a few years). It's been great to see the impact of KDL on what Guro Doug does. It's also been great to see the way Grand Tuhon continues to improve and evolved PTK!

I hope one day to begin to train with Guro Doug again and meet Grand Tuhon on one of his trips to Canada.

- Matt

16. shootodog

matt,

i'm with roland isla. he's kdl's man here.

17. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Sorry that I didn't get to visit this forum lately.

I think Matt said it all. Great description Matt ! :) Being in Rochester, I would presume you're a student of Doug Marcaida. If so, give my regards to Guro Doug.

There's a lot of info on the net concerning Pekiti Tirsia and there are also a lot of competent teachers of this style around. Surf around and maybe you can find a teacher close to you.

here's a great place to start : FMA database

There's really not much else I can add to what Matt has said. The style is very much blade oriented and is tied into the Philippine machete and knife fighting culture. It's not just a weapons style but a comprehensive system, including grappling, joint locking and breaking, strikes and other delights. :) So much to learn, so little time..

if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to send me a PM