New WKSA Masters

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by VegasMichelle, Jan 28, 2010.

1. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I can see where one might get confused. The marital relationship WRT sisters/siblings that exists between the BIL family and the IHS family, is that the current wife of IHS is the older sister of the only wife BIL has ever had (AFAIK). KJN Rich has previously admitted that his instructor is indeed, master Chun Duk Lee, who just happens to be blessed with R. Barry Harmon and In Sun Seo as brothers-in-law.

2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I'm afraid that we may be talking about two different things. I personally don't give a hoot about "uniting". What I am making a case for is the idea of tolerance, interacting, inter-relating and a healthy dose of critical thinking.

If people have enough energy to spend hours poking at each other they can certainly find the energy to seek-out each other and share what they are about. To my way of thinking we have inherited waaaaay too much self-aggrandizing behavior from the generation before us, which is probably why the Hapkido arts are devolving rather than evolving. Organizations pop-up as fast as individuals make BB and getting them to relate to each other is like pulling teeth, even when you have some person bend over backwards to make something good happen.

Once again... I submit that the talk has dropped away significantly since the recent Canadian event where people actually had a chance to show what they are about.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

3. Saja

Saja Valued Member

Plans are under way for many of the same group to head downunda for GM Booth's event next October. Nice to see that the spark of brotherhood we shared in Canada has ignited a small fire :)
    Rudy

4. Bruce W Sims

And I would like to "fan" those few flickerings. The idea of "brotherhood" is what fueled the original KWANS and helped people to think outside of their own particular ideologies. I can see no reason that a KMA practitioner could not avail themselves of small "get-togethers" on a regular basis and trade views, approaches, insights and so-forth without being assessed as somehow betraying their particular brand of KMA, yes?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

5. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Perhaps if a sufficient number of grandmasters were to get together and agree on a ruleset for inter-organisation tournaments then with many different groups training towards a shared goal, it would be easier create unity.
    A common ruleset in the same mould as pro-hapkido or sport jujitsu would create a focus point on which kuk sool/hapkido members throughout the world could come together without having to compromise on the politics of their own organisations and retaining their own identity.
    Tournaments could be hosted at whatever venue suited the organisers and with sufficient preparation this could eliminate the 'but they don't play by our rules' stigma which i find often surrounds open tournaments.

I'm sure I'll get a bashing from certain quarters about not being a sport etc but competing regularly under a sufficient ruleset shouldn't alter training too much and weapons etc will obviously still be retained for class teaching.

6. Bruce W Sims

Just speaking for myself, Herb, I really had not thought about competitions. About the closest I have ever come to considering a venue of that sort was to have advocated a kind of World Demo after the fashion of the AIKIJUJUTSU people thats held once a year. Seems like the AIKIDO JOURNAL moderates things and it draws practitioners of all stripes from all over the World. Rather than compete, the venue is one of well-attended demonstrations as well as a range of classes and seminars. Needless to say, I was quickly advised why noone would have been interested in such things and the idea was still-borne. I still think the idea would go and could easily imagine a bi-annual, annual or even semi-annual event that people could work towards so as to showcase their respective efforts.
    If you'd like more information on how these things come together you could checkout Stanley Pranin's website. He usually starts organizing things well-in-advance. Hey!! Maybe he would consider a Hapkido portion for the program!?!

Of course....this is just me talking. YMMV.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  7. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I appreciate your thoughts Bruce, certainly such events and seminars would also imho be of value. My main point in suggested a combined ruleset for hapkido arts is that it would allow practitioners from grassroots level up to master to see, that the different arts ultimately have more in common than they do differences.

Thanks for the link as well, however as I currently reside outside the kma community as far as actively practising goes, I feel others are in better positions to contribute to making such a thing a reality.

8. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Just curious...if some of the"old masters " still talk to each other?

RL

9. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Which "old" masters do you mean?
    Are you talking about specific Masters or in more general terms?
    Many Masters previously from the WKSA plus some currently within that org were present at GM Timmerman's "Meeting of Grandmasters" in August this year along with Masters and GM's of other MA's.They did a lot more than talk to each other, but taught alongside each other.
    Most sensible Masters/Instructors/Students will communicate with anyone from the MA community. There are of course a few who find that difficult for whatever reason, but I would say that in general terms, the answer to your question is "yes"!

10. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I think he means some of the old KOREAN masters, kiwi, FWIW. ;)

11. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

did master yang used to call you chong mai, RL?

12. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Sorry for not being clear..."the old Korean" masters.
    And yes,I was dissappointed that i coudn't make it to GM Timmerman's event.
    However,I did get a chance to catch up with an "old" friend of mine (KJN Dixon)whom came through Houston then to Canada for the event.

RL

13. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Yes,thank you.

14. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

yes, they do. not that often, but yes. the lack of frequency really makes me wonder if when i open a school and have a family how much i will communicate with my old juniors, classmates, and seniors. i mean, these guys trained together, ate together, and came to america together.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  15. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Yes he did,then it went to "chongee" before I left San Francisco HQ,he gave a Korean name.

16. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

That surely, is up to you! What some korean Masters choose to do is not relevant to what YOU do.

17. Bruce W Sims

Just to second what KIWEST mentioned.

The KMA---especially the modern KMA ---have a growing history of people splitting-off and failing to remain in contact with their peers and teachers. To my eyes it is plain that many have learned well the toxic behaviors of the previous generation. However, we are classified by Science as Homo Sapiens (lit: "thinking man") which suggests to me that we can process information and change our behaviors based on our own goals and not those that are imposed on us. I think, how well we remain in contact depends on two things: what each of our particular goals are and how important (what priority) staying in touch remains for each of us. In my own case, for instance, I have elected to remain in contact with a very narrow band of folks whose goals and methods are closer to my own. In this way the days of bouncing from one large "high profile" event are slipping away and dedication to small, very focused events is where I'm putting my own resources. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

18. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Children sharpen their teeth on the bones of their parents. This goes the same for everything in life: teachers, friends, etc.