New video with my teacher

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Hannibal, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My Sifu, Harinder Singh Sabharwal, in a new interview about JKD & Wing Chun - enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuFgM8I6K2c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuFgM8I6K2c[/ame]

2. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

I'm glad Izzo recorded this interview while he wasn't driving.

Seriously though this is an awesome meet up.

Hahaha...Auslander, you rascal.

3. Hannibal

Auslander gets everywhere!

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Didn't think Izzo thought much of JKD and Bruce Lee. Perhaps I haven't listened closely enough to his videos.

5. Hannibal

LOL! Auslander (MadMonk) and I were just talking about that very thing!

But then not all JKD is equal - and as I have said many times before there is a reason I am with Singh :)

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Singh has a great attitude.

I particularly love what he was saying about breathing and being in the moment.

7. Hannibal

Singh did a TED talk on that same thing

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJtnWCwFfI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVJtnWCwFfI[/ame]

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The problem with the chunner in the video is that he's very outspoken and every week he puts up another video where he is demonstrating against a boxer, or explaining the virtues of cross training, yet he looks so much like a rigid chunner to me his arguments go out the window.

9. Hannibal

I am getting the inside scoop on what went down - like I alluded too, I don't think he had mixed with enough people at a sufficiently high level in the JKD world before he made his early claims....Singh is certainly high level enough to make a believer of anyone

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Singh seems like a very cool dude and he's sporting some nice tats!

Wasn't this Izzo guy the Chunner we were trolling a few threads back, him vs. that MMA manboob guy?

11. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I was gonna say, I posted said video and it was very poorly received. Surprised people aren't jumping on this one because the same guy is involved and has publicly posted a rather negative opinion on JKD in the past.

12. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Everyone who is familiar with Izzo should be loving this video. It is karma in motion.

Singh's mellow cool vs Izzo's tense stare...almost like he's...learning something as we watch.

Best Chun-related video I have seen all year.

Bravo.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You don't feel people are jumping on it?

14. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Considering we are still on the first page, people aren't frothing at the mouth, and there is no blood on my screen, I'd say no, not quite as aggressively.

Anyways, good video.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

God, I certainly hope that hasn't become the measure for engagement here at MAP.

16. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I'm embellishing a tad.

17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I like the video in spite of Izzo being in it.

Also, he didn't spout nonsense in it.

Singh was being extremely humble and polite, but Izzo's reservedness makes me think he had been somewhat humbled by Singh.

18. Hannibal

I couldn't possibly confirm or deny that......

19. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

Just as an FYI...(sorry for such a late reply but I log on to here every 6-8 months)

I was the one who filmed the interview, and hung out with both of them. I've known Singh for nearly 10 years, and Izzo for nearly 5.

For those who are hinting towards Singh and Izoo exchanging and humbling each other...it wasn't like that at all! They did have an equally impressive round of Chi Sao after the interview, not to challenge each other but to exchange and learn from each other. Anyone who says otherwise...well, simply was NOT there. And to verify that I was there...somewhere in the video Izzo and Singh both note that I am behind the camera.

For those who don't know Singh, he is probably one of the kindest people I know. Very spiritual and soft spoken, with excellent skills! Him and I are still in touch, and wish each other great luck in all things.

For those who don't know Izzo, don't judge him by his videos. That stuff simply sells. Get to know him off camera and you're opinions may change. And for WC'er, he's very skilled. And with his time in NIPUS (One of our joint SWAT teams), it is evident that he's seen violence. I say this because I've seen him move when he isn't on camera. And when I first met him, he was anti-JKD because other JKD'ers came to him and honestly looked like a 1960's Bruce Lee impersonation....no individuality at all. I know a couple of them as well. But when he came to my academy, spent 4 1/2 hours moving with me....he said "I like the JKD you're showing me. But I still hate the cult mindset behind Bruce Lee."

Again, sorry for the late response here....but I feel it was warranted.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't have a dog in this race, really. But I'm confused by the idea of NOT judging Sifu Izzo by his persona on YouTube. He's choosing to present himself in that way. If that's not the way he wants to be perceived, HE controls that. As far as I'm concerned, he can pursue any public persona he wishes. But it's inevitable that he'll be judged based on what he personally opts to present to the public. Why wouldn't he?