New to Wing Chun

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by jinroh-81, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinroh-81

jinroh-81 New Member

Hi Folks

I wish to learn Wing Chun in London, could any body reccomend me good schools? I found White Lotus Wing Chun (http://www.wingchunkungfu.net/). Judging from their website it looks good, does anyone know about this school? :confused:

2. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Looks good to me as they do full contact sparring as well as forms, weapons defence etc so its pretty well rounded it seems.

Go and check it out to see if you like the style and class structure.

I assume you live in London?

3. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Where abouts in London do you live?

4. jinroh-81

jinroh-81 New Member

Hi folks

I am in the Camden area of London, thanks for the help so far.

5. Bjoern_VT

Bjoern_VT Valued Member

doesn't look that bad at least form what they say... sadly no information of their lineage on there page :(

I would usggest you to have a look at the school of Desmond Spencer too... he is a nice guy, supposed to be a good fighter and a student of the Wong Shun Leung , Philipp BAyer LIneage...
    The adress is:

desmond.spencer@bt.com

Training:

Sunday's at the Swiss Cottage Community Centre Trophy room, on Winchester Road Swiss Cottage NW3, times 2:30pm to 5:00pm.

Tuesday's and Thursday's in South London Area, Time's 8:00pm to 10:00pm.

U.K.
    Tel. 02087767705

6. Humble Guy

Humble Guy New Member

White Lotus Wing Chun

Hi jinroh-81,

:eek: Wow, this brings back memories. Steve Setters was my very first Wing Chun instructor!
    We got on really well.
    I haven't spoken to him for about 5 years, but I loved his style of teaching.

He is friendly, funny, experienced in combat and loves his fitness (as do I :D ).

Let us know how you get on whichever school you choose.

-M.

7. CFT

CFT Valued Member

8. beef

beef New Member

Michael Tse in South West London is an excellent teacher having learnt from Ip Chun:

http://www.qimagazine.com/setup.htm

If I could still get to that class I would - except it's too far from me now :cry:

9. jinroh-81

jinroh-81 New Member

Thanks fellas, i'll look into the other schools and the weblinks you guys gave. You lot have been really helpful. By the way, what do you guys mean by lineage? I am new to martial arts.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  10. clockman75

clockman75 Banned Banned

martial arts heritage...

They mean the lineage, of Yip Man. or the lineage, of Yim Wing Chun. Both of those historical figure where founders of the system. Yip Man was a more modern teacher, where-as Yim Wing, was a legend of ancient history.

The term lineage is almost like a word for inhereited skill or trait. To me, (correct me if I'm worong guys) this means taught from si gung to, si fu to, si hing, or si jay. Sigung is grandmaster, sifu is master (your teacher), sihing is boy student, si jay is girl student DON'T LAUGH :bang:

lineage means, to pass down from a direct blood line or authentic origin of the arts creator. Dad, to son, to daughter, or teacher to student...

11. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Lineage is basically a "family tree" type thing or the line of people from which your art has been passed down.

12. CFT

CFT Valued Member

sihing is a senior (to you) male student, sijer is a senior (to you) female student, sidai is a junior (to you) male student, simui is a junior (to you) female student.

sisuk is a younger teacher-uncle, one of your sifu's sidai. sibak is an elder teacher-uncle, one of your sifu's sihing. Both terms are non-gender specific.

All of these terms are just adapted from Chinese familial terms.

13. suiloong

suiloong Valued Member

Lineage

Hi

I'd like to stick my 2 penny's worth in and mention that while lineage is important, it should be an authenticated lineage.

By that I mean to make sure that your Sifu is authorised to teach by his claimed pai/clan/branch.

It is all too easy to train with a respected Sifu for a couple of years, grab a bunch of photo's with him, and then teach your own thing, quoting them as your lineage in an attempt to authenticate yourself.

If your Sifu has been authorised to teach under the pai/clan/branch banner then he will have some form of official recognition and would be proud to show/display it.

Good luck with your training :)

PLEASE NOTE: No names/schools implied or inferred

14. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

I would recomend Kamon Wing Chun. The covent garden branch i go to is quite far from Camden. Check to see if there is a nearer one on the website. Go and watch a lesson and see if the style of teshin suits you. If you dont like it have a look at other classes until you find one you think suits you.

15. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Also note, that while having an authenticated lineage is good, its not necessary!!! :D

Who cares if sifu Bob can't trace his lineage back to the mid 1800's, if what you're learning here and now is good??

;) dont get hung up on lineage, otherwise you spend your life looking for someone you may never find.

16. jinroh-81

jinroh-81 New Member

I think I'll go with the Kamon school, it seems to have a good reputation, Covent Garden isn't that far from me. Camden has good links to the west end. It's £15 more than Steve Setters and maybe I'll get what I pay for. Steve doesn't allow visitors to watch his classes which seems to be off putting, but does have an £5 introduction class. But I am going to try and contact Desmond again, I sent him an e-mail but got no reply. Does Desmond have a website? :confused:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  17. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

Cool. See you there (I'm the young one.). I just started recently myself and I really enjoy it.

18. Bjoern_VT

Bjoern_VT Valued Member

I will ask Desmonds teacher Philipp Bayer on Tuesday, when I visit him, then send you a short note.

19. Bjoern_VT

Bjoern_VT Valued Member

just got a pn from Desmond in Philipps Forum... he has not been checking emails in a while... he promised to get back to you asap, or you can just call him on his phone

20. jinroh-81

jinroh-81 New Member

Thanks Bjoern_VT! ask Desmond to e-mail daredevil_81@yahoo.co.uk or you can e-mail me.

Many Thanks. :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.