New to the Fu

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by TigerAn1, Mar 18, 2006.

1. TigerAn1

TigerAn1 A Southern Praying Mantis

Hey!

Brand new Kung Fu'er here, Southern Praying Mantis style. Was a Red belt in Hapkido; had a falling out with the Master and said adios amigo. Took off a few months (gained a few lbs.) and signed on at a very reputable Kung Fu school in our town. Quite a difference. Not the McDojang atmosphere I was accustomed to, but more of a "professional" atmosphere. No 5 y.o. black belts screaming about, min age is 13 to train w/parental permission. So me and my 13 yo almost BB TKD'er have switched. The biggest thing I've noticed is the calmness of the place. Nobody's demands "respect" because their belt (sash) is higher than yours. But the respect is there. Quite a contrast to the BS I endured for almost 3 years at the strip mall McDojang. It's great.

Nice to meet ya'll!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Welcome to the world of CMA, it's going to be different then what you've seen so far but I'm sure your previous training will help you.

Odd, I recently had a falling out with my school as well which is why I'm now doing Muay Thai and Jujutsu. Must be something in the air, seems to be a trend for MAPers. :confused: Hopefully it is a trend and will serve as a wake up call to schools with bad practices. Nothing says, maybe you should look at what you are doing wrong, like an empty training hall.

3. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Welcome to CMA, TigerAn1

Southern Mantis seems to have a much higher profile than even just a couple of years ago when nobody'd really heard of it. I remember being the only mantis in the village.

:D

Rgds,
    David

4. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Its quite the excellent non-sporting combat art. I'm not surprised its getting the attention and approval it has long deserved.

5. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

congrats on your new adventure in to the kung fu area of martial arts. i, myself, have endured in to a style that uses mantis in it's training, on top of 6 other animals.

6. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Well, I guess we can welcome the Southern mantis people too. :D :Angel:

I get up to Chicago every now and then. If you see an old guy in a park downtown doing Northern mantis forms in the morning come over and say hello. :)

7. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Welcome to the world of Jian Hu!!! (lol).

Well, more precisely welcome to the world of CMA.

Good luck with your training.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Welcome to the forums - I reckon you take Jook Lum from the Henry Poo Yee side of things? Welcome to the forums.

I take Jook Lum under Gin Foon Mark -> Roger D. Hagood -> John Brown.