New to the forums...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Street Stylist, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Parker

Chris Parker Valued Member

Kid. You swing sticks you shape yourself (with no real way of knowing if they're correctly weighted, balanced, shaped, or anything). Dean trains in Kenjutsu (three separate forms, actually). I have trained in 5 systems, as well as having an understanding of some dozen or so more in various ways. Scott as well. You have no idea of traditional kenjutsu, so trying to compare Dean's idea with your "idea" of what it is is damn delusional.

And, no, they weren't sorted out. You dodged, or gave answers that showed you didn't even understand the questions.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It tells me that you have adopted a terminology to describe something - but as you have also demonstrated in this thread that is meaningless because every time you get called out on a specific you retreat behind the "it's difficult to describe" nonsense

I don't care where you live or how poor you are - there will be a club within walking distance and price range.

You have a phone that has web access but no camera? I call shenanigans

You have no credibility either as a martial artist or as an online persona; your previous existence on another boards shows you will happily lie to further your ends so there is no reason to take anything you say as being factual if it does not stand under it's own veracity...and your words don't

3. Hannibal

It has been said that if you give an infinite number of monkeys a keyboard then eventually you will get the complete works of Shakespeare......for your posts it is more like 5 minutes with three monkeys

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You don't get to have your own idea of traditional kenjutsu.
    Dean doesn't either.
    It's either traditional kenjutsu (established lineage, ryuha and koryu background) or it's not.
    Now that's not to say what you mighty be doing isn't effective. It could well be (although I'd bet it isn't as it's two kids swinging sticks at each other for shizzles).
    But traditional kenjutsu it certainly is not.
    The clue is in the word "traditional". It means what you are doing needs to have some history to it/ Some aspects that link it to the past and previous practitioners.
    The "tradition" of what you are doing only goes back a few months.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Alright guys. Three things:

1) Let's ratchet down the "kid" and "son" please. I think we've passed the point of subtle condescension.

2) This is turning into the discussion version of "boards don't hit back." I think we've established that Street Stylist isn't equipped to satisfactorily address your questions. And you KNOW that. Nothing's going to change here. He can't "hit back." So the actual utility of this line of questioning is, in my view, nil.

3) We're giving Street Stylist precisely what he wants. Why do you think he's responding to questions from three, four, five people at a time? He LOVES this attention. He's eating it up.

Is this really worth it?

6. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

This comedy MAPper needs a wide berth. He's the kind of guy that eventually does something that makes all of our practices that little bit harder for society to grasp.

Best avoided and left to starve to forum death.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Why not lock the thread?

If it is felt that he is deliberately attention trolling rather than fighting from a somewhat misguided point of view then surely something should be done with regards to his account?

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  8. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I will ask one question before I write the guy off as a troll.

Street Stylist, why do you do what you do with swords/bokuto?

Please, no smartarse replies or sidestepping. Just this question, and I suspect I will follow with maybe one more based upon your reply. After that, I think I will be able to draw a conclusion, positive or not...

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm sharing my personal feelings on the thread. Not taking a mod action. Mod action has been discussed and will undoubtedly be discussed again. But let me ask you this: Do you disagree with my assessment? Because anyone who agrees with that assessment has it in their power to not feed into this. It's not like anyone needs a mod to save them from themselves.

If you disagree with me (which is absolutely fine, by the way), that's a different matter.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Calm down son. :)

11. Dean Winchester

Bit of both.

Yes he's attention trolling but yes I think he's doing stupid stuff.

No we don't need mod action to save ourselves, that's not the point is it?

12. vippy

vippy Valued Member

so does this mean Street Stylist can post in the Ninja sub forum now? :eek:

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Okay. If you still see a point to this, have at it. To me, this is 21 pages of very knowledgeable martial artists playing handball on the curtains.

14. Dean Winchester

The point has been made enough that anyone can see what he's doing and why mucking around, like he is, trying to clobber each other isn't too bright.

However that wasn't the point I was getting at.

If it is recognised that he is attention trolling then why hasn't he had a swift virtual kick in the nads?

The problem is that stupid ideas need to be shown that they are stupid so that they aren't condoned or copied.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Agreed. That's what I'm pointing out.

In my observation, when we're too swift about that, it generally just comes off as mods being heavy-handed spoilsports. Which is probably how I'm coming off now as well.

And you don't feel that's been achieved?

16. Dean Winchester

Nope certainly not coming across as heavy handed AP.

17. Hannibal

Quite the opposite actually

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Cool. So I can be Jackboots Mitch then :D

It's been done to death folks, time to move on. Thread closed to avoid infecting the rest of MAP.

MItch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.