New to Judo - Advice or help with techniques please!

Discussion in 'Judo' started by SaintDomingo, Feb 2, 2016.

1. SaintDomingo

SaintDomingo Valued Member

Hey guys, I've recently started Judo and I'm finding some of the techniques hard going. I never expected to be any good after a few lessons but I'm having trouble getting my head around some of the throws and holds/escapes. So I was wondering if anyone could explain or give advice on any of the following please!

1) I have been taught 2 throws so far, Tai Otoshi and Ippon Seoi nage, and I'm finding it hard moving my feet through the correct positions and at the same time using my hands/arms. The instructors are helpful but everything is so fast paced I can't seem to get the technique down and end up feeling like I'm doing everything wrong. I know there's no quick fix and I need to just practise but is there anything else I can do or any tips for these throws?

2) When focusing on the groundwork techniques, my instructor's are telling me to plant my feet and bridge to help escape but one of the escapes involves my partner being on top of me with 1 hand under my arm and the other under my shoulder and then linking their hands. And to escape I'm supposed to reach over their shoulder to grab their belt with one hand and with my other, reach inbetween their legs and pull their closest thigh towards my head and roll them by trying to sit up but how does bridging help with this? I could understand if I was trying to roll them sideways or over my head but I can't get my head around bridging and then sitting up? Unless I'm not bridging properly (very likely!).

3) How do I tie my Obi?! :p

Sorry if I haven't explained something well, I'm still trying to catch up with the names of techniques. Thanks in advance! :)

2. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

3. SaintDomingo

1) Thank you, that looks to be exactly what I need! I think I just need to practise slowly but obviously in class I don't want to annoy the others or stunt their own practise!

2) Yeah that's the one, my instructor keeps telling me not to rely on just my upper body strength but I just can't seem to do anything else :confused:

3) Haha, thank you! :)

Cheers for that!

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Judo is difficult as it requires you to move in ways that you probably never have before. It will take time.
    In training focus on just one thing at a time to begin with. For Ippon seoi, we often teach the stepping pattern first, where you face your opponent, and practice the footwork without taking a grip, to get you used to the spacing and the spinning movement. Then you can start to integrate the upper body.

This is an excellent video on seoinage mechanics [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PialA1ROq8I"]In-depth analysis of Ippon Seoi nage by Matt D'Aquino of Beyond Grappling - YouTube[/ame]

For Taiotoshi, just remember that it is a hand throw - the throw is all about where your hands are. Make sure you are drawing with the sleeve hand and 'looking at your watch'. Your lapel hand should be driving up and across. The leg that steps across should not touch the leg of uke (the person you are throwing) and at least half of your weight should be on that leg at the end of the throw.

This is an excellent video on taiotoshi

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE19uBQBQ0U"]In depth Tai otoshi by Matt D'Aquino of Beyond Grappling - YouTube[/ame]

The hold sounds like mune gatame, but the escape sounds more like something you would use for yoko shiho gatame. But either way, you bridge when you roll. When you bridge, you are not bridging straight up like you would in a pilates class, you are bridging up and to the side -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdn0gNR8PyU"]Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Basics: How to Bridge - YouTube[/ame]

So you pull the leg towards your head then you do a big bridge and roll away, pulling uke over the top.

I don't know what your coach means by sitting up.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Do it anyway.
    Because - you won't annoy them :)
    They were new once either, they have new guys over regularly, so chances are very high, that they know how difficult this things are, if you're not doing something for years already.

And by doing it slowly but correct you will be, in the end, successful earlier, because speed comes with time alone, once you can do the technique correct.

Plus: When doing it fast but wrong, you won't throw your partners properly and - worst case scenario here! - might hurt them.
    I'm not that experienced either, but the only thing new people could annoy me with, is if they want to do anything as fast as the experienced members, be it throws or locks (I don't let a new person do fast locks on me, for example, too dangerous. But to be fair: Most newbies don't want to do them quick either ^^), just because usually they couldn't do that properly for the life of them.
    Which is perfectly normal; after all everything is new.

My teacher made us do the steps alone first, for example, so we get clear where to put the feet (the experienced did that as well, by the way and none complained!) in the first place.

And the tip of Prizewriter helped me as well (I need to do it more often :whistle: ) and was offered from one of my teachers as well.
    Just make sure to pay attention to make it correct and slowly instead from trying to be fast - I bet, that will be difficult.
    For me it was :D

6. SaintDomingo

Yeah, everything I am doing just feels so awkward and unnatural (to be expected I suppose!).

Thanks for that, those videos are great! I get what the bridge is now, we do something similar in our warm up but I never thought to use it whilst actually trying to escape.

Cheers!

7. SaintDomingo

Yeah, I mean to be fair to them, they always say take your time and just go in for it whenever you feel ready so they're being helpful but I feel like I'm slowing them down :p

Thanks, I see what you mean :)

I think that's what I need to do, just do the steps alone!

I'll definitely take Prizewriter's advice then! Haha, I know it will be very difficult, I just want to good at it already :p

Cheers!

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You are slowing them down, but that's fine, because it's an investment in a future training partner.

The slower you go, the faster you'll progress and the sooner you can pay that forward by being patient with a beginner who is finding things awkward.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I tried Judo for a bit last year and out of all the arts I've ever done (8-10 or so) it was by far the hardest to grasp. By far.
    I think many arts (especially non-grappling ones) revolve around you forming a shape (learn the reverse punch "shape" and you'll progress in Karate for example).
    Control yourself and you'll do well.
    Whereas Judo involves you forming a shape AND making the other person form a shape too.
    You have to form the "Tai otoshi shape" while simultaneously making them form the "will get thrown by Tai Otoshi" shape. Get one of the shapes wrong (and there are multiple elements to all the shapes) and the technique won't work that well.
    It's like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time while someone tries to smash your spine through the floor. :)

10. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

You are actually helping them. Explaining moves to beginners is a great way to learn more about the move for the person explaining it. Plus sometimes it's nice to catch a breather in judo class by helping the noob lol!

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You can mark 4 points on the ground. L1, R1, L2, R2.

L1 - your left foot current position.
    R1 - your right foot current position.
    L2 - your left foot next position.
    R2 - your right foot next position.

1. By putting your feet on L1 and R1,
    2. you move as 2 steps (or hop as 1 step) into L2, R2.
    3. You then hop back to L1 and R1.

Try to repeat 1, 2, 3 many times daily. This footwork training can remove the bad habit that sometime you move back your leading foot before moving in.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

1) "Kuzushi"- off-balancing the opponent*"

2) Tsukuri"- "fitting in", or positioning yourself for the throw*

3) "Kake"- completing the throw.*

The biggest thing I learnt, is that there's 3 parts to every throw, they act like a ladder, so if you mess up the first part, the second part won't work!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I like your 3 parts separation.

If your 1) is to do the set up, you don't really need to off-balance your opponent but to force your opponent to commit either to resist against you or yield into you. In either case, you can take advantage on it. For example, if you twist your opponent in the clockwise direction, when he

- resists, you can borrow his resistance, add your own force, and throw him in the counter-clockwise direction.
    - yields, you can borrow his yielding, twist him some more, and throw him in the clockwise direction.

Does your clockwise twisting require to off-balance your opponent, you may not need to.

Sometime I like to make 3 (completing the throw) into 3.1 and 3.2. The 3.1 is used to off-balance the opponent, the 3.2 is used to finish the throw. For example, the

- 3.1 can be to use the upper leg to bounce your opponent's upper leg to be off the ground.
    - 3.2 is to use your arms to pull your opponent's body over you and finish the throw.

It may look like 1 move but in detail, you have to achieve the 1st part before you can do the 2nd part effectively.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

It's supposed to at this point.

The most important thing is to trust the process. Stick it out and it will come. It's not "who's best", but "who stays". Out of all the people that started with me at white belt, I'm the only one left two years later with a green belt. Most of them had more natural talent than I do.

When I started battojutsu, it was the same thing. Getting that sword out of the scabbard well was a pain. I just kept at it.

And the same thing with everything else. It all comes down to sheer cussedness.