New to BJJ as an older adult

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by clarky75, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Martin L Holloway

Martin L Holloway New Member

Because I simply wanted too. I like that belt, looks better than a plain jane belt. It does cause stir and mean any disrespect.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you post pictures of yourself as a BJJ blackbelt, when your not one, it means your claiming something that isn't true, you even have it on your dojo website, that is fraudulent.

3. Dead_pool

US Bujutsu Kai - Martial Arts Lessons in Renton

Thanks for removing the misleading pictures!

So you teach Jiu-jitsu, but learnt judo, aikido and hapkido?

Is that right? Is the jiu-jitsu something you created yourself?

Are you a dan grade in all three arts? Judo, aikido and hapkido?

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome! I will just give you this advice then. One NEVER wears a belt because they like it when they haven't earned it. Wear the belt you earned, plain jane or not and that will be respected. Wearing a belt not earned is indeed frowned upon in any art that has a ranking system of belts/ sashes. You say you don't mean any disrespect, so know it is considered very disrespectful to the art and the people that earned it properly.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Morik, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Martin L Holloway

Im a Judoka and not concerned with other groups. Definitely need to alter belt back to plane jane belt.
    Yes absolutely. In the meantime I will alter belt and wear my brown belt, till belt is modified. So not to disturb community.

Dunc, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Martin L Holloway

I dont do pictures with torn up gi.

7. Dead_pool

Do you have any pictures or videos of your students training/style?

8. Martin L Holloway

This my organization. You don't disrespect my attire. My system is not your system. My roots are from Sin Moo Hapkido and Kodokan Judo not BJJ.

9. Dead_pool

Exactly, which is why you wearing grades you haven't achieved is wrong.

So what is your new system?

Any video of it in action?

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I mean...you very much jumped into the thread by disrespecting an entire style in BJJ, so it seems a bit hypocritical to then lash out at others for criticising yours, no?

Besides, a black belt in any style should recognise the issues with wearing one from a style you haven't earned. I'm sure you'd be just as miffed if I was publicising a picture of myself with a black belt from your style so its just common courtesy really.

aaradia and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Dead_pool

Screenshot_20200106-160417.png

Busted!

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think someone wearing a belt, from another style, they haven't earned is about equevelent to a dumb person that thinks there a genius, it just looks idiotic.

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Also, I never said anything criticizing his style. I criticized the concept of wearing a belt in a style not earned. (And I tried to state this in a manner meant to be helpful.) Which he admitted he did. His first response to me admitted it. Then, weeks later, he strangely lashed out over something I didn't say.

In response to being asked by another member why he was wearing a BJJ black belt in a photo he said:
    In his first response to my post he says.............

But now, a month or so later, he gets mad and reads something into it I never said? My response was with regards to wearing a black belt in BJJ - not his own personal style/ organization.

As for his own style, since I was accused of critiquing it, I may as well earn it. Let's address the issue brought up here in principle, though. I would personally NEVER go to any school where people admit to making up ranks in other styles, then start their own. Shows a lack of the sort of moral values I personally look for in an instructor.

Sure, anyone can make up a style and declare themselves the 100th level senior black sash Sensei/ Guru/ Sifu if they want. And they can award themselves any fancy belt they want in doing so. I actually never said anything about that, as one can absolutely do that if they want. But I this is why I think that is why it is very important to read up on any instructors actual detailed history in martial arts, rather than just relying on what rank/ belt they are wearing.

But Martin himself said he wore a sash in another style and admitted he wore it because the color was more appealing. And THAT was what I originally commented on. Personally, that action shows a value system that I would personally stay far away from if I was looking for a school to go to.

Never would have gotten into this critique if I wasn't incorrectly accused of something I didn't say. So, there you have it.:mad:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  14. quasar44

quasar44 New Member

I would try to find a place that has a beg class
    I would spend most of time learning escapes
    I am the same age and only started 18 months ago and it’s daunting but you can do it
    Watch out for big spazzes

If you have $$$$
    Take a weekly private

(Mod note: Once again, merged posts. Please don't spread out one basic post through several posts in a row. Thanks!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2020
  15. Martin L Holloway

Where can you find a gi thats $50.00 that dont rip in Judo. Needs to be a double tweed to work. Thats why.

16. Dead_pool

Sanabul and Fuji both do double weave Gi for around 50 dollars US postage included.

Fuji run sales every now too.

Do you still actively train in judo?

17. Dead_pool

The picture of you wearing an unearned BJJ blackbelt picture is back on your website, and your Google map page.

Why are you claiming things that aren't true?

U.S. Bujutsu Kai

https://g.co/kgs/6u2qKR

18. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

My standard judo gi purchase for normal training costs about £17 wholesale. That lasts years for normal training. My "smart" gi is nicer, thicker, more robust, etc, and still costs about £45. £150-200? Madness!

Dead_pool likes this.