New SW-Will it be a block buster?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I'm specifically referring to the nitpicking UC mentioned. Scrutinizing the details is no fun if you have to wade through a pile of crap to do it.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I did see TESB in the cinema and I still rate it as the best of the lot. Even though it is setting the stage for ROTJ, it does so in a fantastic manner. It has drama, angst, intrigue and 'what the heck' moments.

For me, ROTJ was saved by the Emperor's throne room scenes. I think they are amongst the most powerful imagery of the saga. The fight between Luke and Vader had some real, raw emotional impact (magnificently enhanced by the music). The ewoks should have been wookies or shouldn't have been there at all. I still rate it above the prequels though.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Palpatine was the highlight of ROTJ by a mile! He epitomised evil and you could tell how in awe of him Vader actually was

Off the top of my head the order of preference would go....

5,7,4,6,3,2,1, Clone Wars, Caravan of Courage, Holiday Special

4. Frodocious

Exactly. I'm nitpicking TFA because I actually quite enjoyed it, despite its faults. I just think a lot of the faults were down to lazy writing and the film could have been so much better with a little more thought (or even a little more explanation). Even though TESB was setting up ROTJ, I didn't come away from it with as many questions or as much confusion over certain events as I did with TFA.

I don't bother to nitpick JJ's Star Treks because they were so bad as to not be worth the effort. TFA is better, not perfect, but definitely rewatchable, and it did grow on me on second viewing. Where as the prequels had the opposite effect. First time round I was all 'yay, more Star Wars', but now so much of them makes me cringe. Although, to a certain extent, they had more original stories, even though they were constrained by the original trilogy. Unfortunately, the scripts, acting and 'humour' severely let them down!

5. Frodocious

I would rate them:

5, 4, 6, 7, 3, 1, 2. I haven't seen much of the Clone Wars and can't really remember Caravan of Courage, plus I pretend the Holiday Special doesn't exist.

I don't even own a copy of AOTC because I thought it was so bad. TPM was saved by the duel with Darth Maul!

6. Hannibal

Just edited my 8 to a 7...damn chubby fingers!!!

7. Frodocious

I still get the chills when he announces "Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!" :hail:

I was wondering at that... :)

8. Hannibal

"You....like your father before you....are now, MINE"

Masterclass in delivery!!!

9. Hannibal

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGdNe5WBNE0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGdNe5WBNE0[/ame]

10. Frodocious

Most definitely. It was brilliant. Yay for British trained actors! :)

11. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I suggest giving Rebels a shot as well, Season 1 was awesome, and from the reviews Season 2 is shaping up to be at least as good.

12. Hannibal

Have not seen "Rebels" yet...may have to give it a watch

13. Frodocious

I watched a couple of episodes on the plane to Iran and quite enjoyed them. I must check out some more! :)

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

After watching The Clone Wars, Rebels has quite disappointed me actually. I don't know if it's that it seems more aimed at kids, that the characters don't seem as developed, or just more sitting around talking in every episode, but they've lost me with this. Both incarnations of Clone Wars are better IMO.

15. Frodocious

I'm just contemplating whether or not I can be bothered to make the trip to the IMAX for the late show tonight...

16. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I just saw it again and I rate t higher than both ANH and ROTJ. A New Hope is painfully clunky to watch these days and Return of the Jedi isn't much better.

A lot of the serious criticism levelled at the new film are things that the original trilogy are worse offenders at, namely too many nods to what came before and lack of explanation.

I've decided I'm not even counting the prequels.

17. Frodocious

I saw the IMAX version last night and, whilst the 3D made it an enjoyable viewing experience from the visual side. It didn't get better on the 3rd viewing, in fact a lot of the minor grumbles I had already started to get more annoying.

To me it is Star Wars lite. It plays in the universe, ticks some of the action/mythology boxes, but there are too many issues I have with it to rate it above the original trilogy. I just don't feel it has any soul. I don't empathise with the new characters, I find there are too many things that pull me out of the story.

That being said, I'm glad lots of people are raving about it, because it means the saga will go on and I hope the next couple of films will fill in the blanks and explain some of the issues I have with this one!

18. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I do think that's a fair point. It raised one too many questions and answered one too few.

19. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

And for the record the Emperor's best delivered like was "I think it is you who is mistaken. About a great. Many. Things."

My 94 year old grandma loves that line and can deliver it with chilling authenticity.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Consider yourself banned.

I shall put in the appropriate request to the management.