New SW-Will it be a block buster?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I agree with you about Ren needing more character development, but then I think that is another weakness of the film. There is not enough scene setting/explanation of the state of the galaxy - I guess they tried to avoid this because one of the big complaints about the Prequels was there was too much politics. This film went to the other extreme.

I can see your argument for Rey and Leia, I just think that, given their history, there should have been something between Leia and Chewie - he just walked straight past her! For me that was totally unacceptable.

I like your reasoning for why Ren went easy on Rey though.

I'm contemplating an IMAX visit some time this week. I rewatched ANH last night and still think it is a better film (even though it was the special edition - GRRR! Han shot first!!!!!!)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I know you don't have FB, so here is a post by Mitch.

I laughed. :banana:

3. Frodocious

:wow: :eek: GRRRR! That's him banned from the Mod lounge biscuit tin for the next year!

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I'm pretty sure Ren went easy on Rey because he knows (unconsciously at least) she is his sister. TFA basically shuffled up the plot from ANH which means you're missing the daddy reveal (Han IS the father Maury) and the brother/sister reveal (in the extended universe Han and Leia have two kids and the son turns Sith while the daughter becomes a Jedi and goes to kill her brother). Notice Ren says to Rey that Han is like the father she never had? And when Rey and Leia hug at the end the music playing is the 'family reunited' music from the orig trig.

5. Frodocious

I really hope they don't make it that predictable. At least make her Luke's daughter or 3rd cousin twice removed or something not lifted straight from the original trilogy!

6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I can totally see them going in that direction but yeesh, I hope not. :p

7. Rand86

One more thing...

I find the character of Hux intriguing; he's sort of Tarkin-lite to Ren's Vader-lite, and all his frothing at the mouth fanaticism comes off - at least to me - like he's trying to convince chiefly himself that he's in the right. I think he's more likely to have a redemption arc in the later movies than Ren, either because of a genuine change of heart and a "by the Force, what have I done" moment or because whatever it is that Snoke is planning will be too much even for him.

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Just like the other plots points lifted from ANH allowing a connection for old fans I think doing it this way actually allows them to make their own direction while not entirely ignoring the extended universe which has already been created and thereby ****ing off the legions of hardcore fans who are into that.

9. Frodocious

I'm chopping and changing from thinking he's way over the top for a villain - Tarkin was much more understated and believable - to thinking he's actually quite good as a fanatical evil bad guy. I'm undecided at the moment as to which one I'll settle on.

10. Frodocious

I think it would be more likely to annoy old fans because it's lifted straight from the original trilogy - at least it would annoy me. It would be lazy writing, and there's too much of that in this film already.

11. Rand86

Re: over the top, I think his speech at the firing of the Starkiller was another SW reference to "The Triumph of the Will" - scarily well done one at that.

Tarkin was an older guy, so him being less likely to shout and make silly faces is a given. I also don't think he was quite as ideologically involved as Hux - more a combination of technocrat, control freak, and a sadist who threw in his lot with the Empire because this way he got to act on his urges with a governmental seal of approval.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  12. Frodocious

Rewatched TESB this evening. It's still the best, by far, in my view. I might try to fit ROTJ in tomorrow at some point.

13. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think if I'd seen TESB in theatres, I'd have been disappointed. It's really just setting the stage for ROTJ.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

TESB is to me definitive.....ROTJ was by far the weakest outside PM

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Worse than Attack of the Clones?

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Only nostalgia makes me say no :)

It felt rushed and has some major "deux et machina" moments designed just to move things along...plus Ewoks *shudder*

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Personally I was less impressed than I thought I would be considering all of the positive comments to date. 7 /10

Really seemed to be a number of problems that I want to make sure are clear in my mind before I get set upon :' D

Really can't wait until we can get past the spoiler tags...

LFD

18. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Film is great. People are far too focused on nitpicking minor things instead of just enjoying a damn good romp in the Star Wars universe.

Can't wait to watch it again and can't wait for Episode VIII. One of the better and more enjoyable Star Wars films out there. Did a great job of satisfying fans of the originals, with little nods to the EU along the way, and while grabbing many new fans along the way.

Finn & Rey's chemistry was pretty good too.

19. Rand86

If it wasn't good no-one would bother. :p

Ha. Good call. Which probably means they'll end up forcing her into relationship with Poe.

20. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I dunno about that. Plenty of poor films have made a lot of money. The oft derided Phantom Menace made a billion dollars.

Look at the movie 2012. Ironic that a film about the end of times made me realize the human species is probably doomed as so many people went to see a pretty awful film that became one of the highest grossing movies of all time lol.

Not to say TFA was a bad film. It has received a massive amount of publicity (and dare I say it, hyperbole). Along with a massive fanbase, it was always going to make a lot of money. Thankfully it is a thoroughly decent movie (IMO).