New SW-Will it be a block buster?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's not right to criticise people for doing something they enjoy man. People enooy camping out for stuff. It's an experience. Especially we who spend vast amounts of time training for near non-existent threats :p

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

^^ What he said.

When ROTJ came out I was in elementary school and thoroughly enjoyed everything about everything on the moon of Endor. But when I rewatched it as an adult -- no. I do not like the Ewoks. No. :bang:

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Star Wars already broke the record for the IMAX pre-booking revenue, taking over $6.5 million, when the previous record was around half a million, and doing it in little over 24 hours.

My cinema already has over 500 pre-booked tickets for the opening night, and we only went on sale on Monday.

Who, in their common sense, spends money to wear fancy pyjama's and stomp around a hall punching and kicking imaginary enemies?

Who, in their common sense, spends money to go and stand in a stadium with 20,000 other people, watching 22 blokes kick a sack of leather around for a couple of hours?

Horses for courses.

As for "Avengers" - no one knew which way it was going to go;

Iron Man was was really popular, for a lesser-known character. Iron Man 2, not so popular.
    Incredible Hulk has been the least successful MCU entry so far.
    Captain America: The First Avenger was really popular, despite some thinking it would only appeal to the US market.
    Thor was 'meh', it did ok, but not massive.

Once it came out, and the reaction was overwhelmingly positive, it was clear that Ultron would have a pretty big impact, because people want more of the same that they got in 2012.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

You haven't seen Caravan of Courage then?

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I disagree.

Maybe in Russia, but not here in America. My niece is 9. Her and her other young friends have all been huge Star Wars fans for years. She had a Star Wars themed birthday party a few years ago.

Also, at my work (Library) many young kids want the films, the books, anything SW related. This has been true for many years.

To me, it is amazing that this Film Series crosses into the next generation.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You and me both! I have ticket for the 2D showing and the old local Odeon, plus I may well treat myself to an IMAX 3D session over the Christmas holiday. :D

^ This. Star Wars is part of my youth and I am fully intending on never growing out of it. At least nowadays it is slightly cooler to be a geek girl than it was when I was young!

I do both the geek film thing and the playing round in pjs thing so, (on MAP at least) that makes me AWESOME! :hat:

I'm torn over Abrams. I wasn't a fan of his reboot of Star Trek, from a Trek point of view, but enjoyed it as a scifi film. I'm hoping he avoids the cutesy, technological shininess Lucas rubbish of the last 3 films and actually makes something non-cringe worthy that pays homage to the spirit of the original 3 films (Empire especially).

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yub nub. YUB NUB!!

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

:cool:

Attached Files:

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'ma buy you a beer one day.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Steady now. Mitch enjoys wearing a mankini.

11. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I'm torn over Abrams. I wasn't a fan of his reboot of Star Trek, from a Trek point of view, but enjoyed it as a scifi film. I'm hoping he avoids the cutesy, technological shininess Lucas rubbish of the last 3 films and actually makes something non-cringe worthy that pays homage to the spirit of the original 3 films (Empire especially).[/QUOTE]

By the look of it he's taken it down a pretty serious road, which is awesome. There's only one shot of Princess Leia in the trailer - the first time we've seen her in 30 years - and she's crying. That's a massive statement to make about the tone of your film.

I've never been into Star Trek but I really enjoyed the look of the new films - it's exciting to see sci fi characters on actual sets, with actual props etc.

12. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

In fairness, I find Jar-Jar less obnoxious than Ewoks.

Which admittedly isn't saying much.

Freakin' Death Star was SO CLOSE... :bang:

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One thing that makes me shake my head at the trailers is....deserts and snow planets again? Really? Again? Are there no other sorts of planet in space beyond deserts, snow and...occasionally...forest/jungle?
    Does everything need to look like it's on Tatooine?

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I just assumed it was Tatooine. :)

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

In which case...does almost everything of import have to happen on one planet?
    Instead of destroying Alderaan the empire should have destroyed Tatooine. Would have sorted so many problems.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

90% of films I see are based in America. Doesn't get old.

17. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

Very high chances to be the highest box office hit ever. But more importantly, a true Star Wars film :)

Can't wait!

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You're probably less likely to get shot on Tatooine than America. :)

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Will it be a huge hit? Definitely. Will it have the lasting legacy of the first triligy or be remembered with less than fondness like the prequels................that is the real question. And we won't know until it comes out.

Abrams- I liked his Star Trek Reboot. I like Trek, but am not a "Trekker/ Trekkie." So maybe I am not the most qualified.

How he ended the TV show Lost though------------I haven't forgiven him for ruining one of the best shows ever with such a lame ending that made it one of the worst shows ever. Seriously ruined the whole series with that ending.

Then again, I am not a die hard Star Wars fan either.

When people ask me Star Wars or Star Trek, my answer is neither. It is Battlestar Galactica! That is my personal favorite Sci-Fi.

I will see the movie if people say it is good and once the lines die down.

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

That's my first problem with Abrahams directing I've seen so far. I mean he's great at making sci-fi action films but with Trek it was.... Well devoid of Trek really. You could have told the same story in any universe and it wouldn't have made a difference. I worry that will happen with Star Wars too.

The other bit which worries is that Abrahams doesn't quite seem to know how to write endings. It's not just lead-in to a sequel. He doesn't seem to know how to wrap up a story.