New regime, so weak!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, May 16, 2007.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have in the past few weeks started on a new regime having joined the gym and including various classes.

At the moment my programme is this:

Monday 1 hr body combat (don't laugh!!!) followed by 1 1/2 hrs kung fu
    Tuesday gym programme cardio/weights
    Wednesday 2hrs kung fu
    Thursday gym programme
    Friday 1 1/2 hrs body combat (don't laugh!)
    Saturday 1hr kung fu followed by gym programme
    Sunday -rest or cycling (last Sunday it was a 45 mile road ride)

I'll alternate it so I get 1 day,maybe 2 days rest.At present I am trying to reduce my bod fat so decreased what I was eating,but I am feeling quite weak. I have been looking round at nutrition info and think I need to change my eating patterns but just wondering if you guys have any pointers or advice. Also,any supplements that would help me out?

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

It looks ok to me, im no expert though so dont know why im replying!

Just make sure you give yourself some rest days and like you say eat right...burn out is a bummer.

Good luck :)

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks H.It's the eating right that I need some help with to avoid the burn out yet at the same time assist with getting my body fat down/building muscle.It all confuses me :(

4. MonkeysUncle

MonkeysUncle Shakin' like Bacon

I don't really know much about the nutrition side, but I personally like Pavel Tsatsouline's stuff for strength/muscle. In fact, I'm going to go right now and do some kettlebells. :D

5. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

You should post more info about your lifting routine. I know that when I was training seriously to fight, I lost a lot of muscle mass because I was eating light and training 6 days/week. If you're lifting, and I highly recommend you do, then post a routine and we'll give some feedback.

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ahh will do,not got my full routine done yet but will post it.Tbh it isn't that weights focussed at the moment, but think it will increase the focus as I progress. :)

7. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Body combat :D *points and laughs* :D :Angel:
    You're getting in a lot of cardio there; that's half the battle with dropping bodyfat, diet's the other half. What's your gym routine like?
    I'm not exactly a nutrition expert, but my understanding is that you shouldn't really decrease what you eat, just change what you eat. Get lots of protein by sticking to things like white meat, especially after workouts, cut out fizzy drinks, eat complex carbs and try to cut down on sugars and so on and so forth
    I daresay the heinously knowledgeable H&F Mod Squad will be along shortly to point and laugh at me for my crappy nutrition knowledge and to point and laugh at you for doing body combat :D :Angel:

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks! :D

*tries to think of something to point and laugh at Sever about* ! I only do body combat cause my kung fu teacher takes the session and talked me into going! :D

Thanks for the advice though,sounds sensible :)

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

*points and laughs*

I shall be more helpful tomorrow... :D

10. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

So... whats body combat?

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Well I'm not an expert on this sorta stuff but just based on my own experience (and a few books I've read) I would say with that amount of exercise a week you shouldn't be decreasing the amount you're eating at all. I guess you're doing maybe 15-16 hours of exercise a week, thats alot of fuel burnt right there and if you're feeling weak it could be a sign that the body isn't getting what it needs.

Few things I worked out from reading books, and they worked for me:

1) Eat plenty of complex carbs, brown rice/wholemeal pasta/porridge etc

2) Always eat breakfast, and a proper one, not a snack. Its the best time to eat well without putting on weight.

3) Have as little refined suger as possible. So not much in the way of sweets, chocolate etc. Refined suger gives energy for a very short time, then makes you feel weak and tired. A banana is better than a packet of sweets basically!

4) Theres no reason not to have red meat once a week or so. Or I don't think so anyway, but the bulk of the meat you eat should be fish and (skinless) chicken which are good sources of protein and are also low in fat.

5) Eat regular small meals and try not to go more than three hours without eating. Missing meals is actually counterproductive to losing weight.

Of course it might not be to do with diet, it might simply be overtraining. A schedule like that is pretty tough, you might want to tone it down slightly for a month and see how you feel then, maybe have one day off in the week.

Oh, and when I'm at uni I sometimes do the odd Boxercise session so I'm not going to laugh at body combat :D

12. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  13. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

lower your fat intake and up your protein intake to insure you are not losing lean muscle mass, the increase in activity combined with the diet restrictions can cause the fatigue and should level out once your body adjusts to the new demands your placing on it

14. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

lower your fat intake and up your protein intake to insure you are not losing lean muscle mass, the increase in activity combined with the diet restrictions can cause the fatigue and should level out once your body adjusts to the new demands your placing on it

15. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I'm laughing at the body combat, but more I think because you said not to, so my imagination is running rampant. What, pray tell, is body combat?

16. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Theres a link above in the thread.

17. Nurofen

Nurofen Valued Member

Kinda like Tae-Bo.
    Only more McDojo-ized.

I eat a LOT, but most of what I eat is vegies and salad, lean meats, legumes and eggs. I really can't be bothered with all the calorie counting bull excrement.
    Keeps me high in energy, lets me bulk up if I train that way or I can strip body fat with some cardio.

But yeah, eat lots of smaller meals and it kicks your metabolism up a notch.

18. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Snoop has most of the basics down. Rest is very important. Make sure you are getting plenty of it with that schedule. Complex carbohydrates are what you body uses to fuel your routine and help transport protein into your muscles. Having just made this change Su, give your body time to adjust.

Make sure your diet is filled with good complex carbs and your protein intake is up there as well. Limit the amount of animal fat in your diet but don't go to Zero! You do need some fats. Get rid of all processed sugars! Ditch the soda, the white sugar, the cakes, etc.

As for supplements, stick with food! If you are having a hard time meeting you protein intake then get a good Whey protein powder and take accordingly. Good luck little Panda!

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks guys :D

Yeah body combat........... just a bit of fun really,was invented in Australia. It doesn't claim to be a "martial art" or anything like that, just using punches ,kicks etc to music for cardio.I go as its included in my gym membership and my kung fu teacher told me to :D He makes me not laugh at him too :p

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah thanks Ad! :D

Look forward to your reply :p