New Ninjutsu Moderator *Waves*

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by CKava, Oct 13, 2008.

1. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Hello everyone,

In case you missed it in the 'Latest News' section (yes it does exist) I'm going to be helping to moderate this section from now on and as such I thought it would only be polite to say hello and make people aware that I exist.

I don't practice Ninjutsu and in fact (cue ominous music) I train in BJJ. However, I will do my best to be fair and since I'm a big fan of debates and discussion without insults and pettiness hopefully I share some common ground with the rest of the users of this section. After a number of years here on MAP I'm also pretty fond of the place and don't really like it when people wreck it with inane and pointless arguments. So hopefully I can help keep such things in check.

So there we go... short and sweet!

Looking forward to reading some interesting discussions!

Chris

2. deivu

deivu Valued Member

CKava good to have you moderating this thread. BJJ huh the modern ninjas enemy:cool:. J\K lol cya around

3. Shau

Shau kurai okami

Hey CKava, if any non ninjutsu practitioner could be mod here, I'm glad it's you. I always like your debates. Anyway, welcome aboard, and are you sure you know what the heck you just got yourself in to? :)

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Good luck homey!

5. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Welcome aboard.

Curious, though, what made you want to mod this forum?

Same here. Knock on wood.

-Daniel

6. Topher

Topher allo!

Ninjas worst nightmare...! haha :D

7. Shau

Shau kurai okami

I know this is kinda off topic, and feel free to move it to it's own post if it is. But, how many of the mods on the Ninjutsu forum actually practice Ninjutsu?

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Xen and bujingodai (who are both away for various reasons) both practice ninpo so far as I'm aware and our previous mods have all been practitioners too. Its mainly the Global Mods (and me) who've come into the forum for moderating purposes that dont have any experience in Ninjutsu.

We asked CKava if he'd take on the forum after seeing that he wasn't lynched for being an outsider and as we're trying to keep the moderating of this forum unbiased.

Glad to see that people happy with one of our choices for a change :)

9. CKava

Thanks for the kind words and see Anth's reply as to why I'm moderating here.

I would also add that Anth told me it's the most relaxed part of the forum and has absolutely no problem with trolls, in-fighting, abusive posts or anything like that. He was telling the truth right? ;)

10. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

Slay the BJJ infidel!

(coughcough)

Sorry, force of habit, welcome to the most relaxed martial art, with the least relaxed forum.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Of course he was telling the truth...

Why would he lie to you...? :Angel::D

WELCOME TO HELL :evil: :yeleyes: :ninja2::ninja1: ;)

12. Shau

Shau kurai okami

You are right about the mods, the previous ones and the ones on hiatus. I don't think Xen and Bujingodai belong to any of the kans or offshoots of the kans (so that can go back to being my original question, but let's not hark on that for now). I just haven't seen Bujingodai in a little while, and Xen in months so I wasn't sure.

On a more positive note, if you could choose one outsider to moderate this board, you chose the right one with CKava. He's a great debater to is not only open minded but who will also make you think! kudos on that

13. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

CKava is a good choice, considering. Seeing as there isn't any serious X-kan conversation going on here - having ZERO mods with any experience in the art they are modding is... well... just humorous - instead of ... well... tragic.

I guess we are lucky to just have trolling / semantics wars here. It makes the Mod choices, um.. moot.

-D

14. Shau

Shau kurai okami

Good point

15. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

Would this be a good time/place to suggest sub forums for each of the x-kans?

16. Shau

Shau kurai okami

I think it's been brought up a few times, and veto'd every time. i don't think it would be a bad idea though if properly managed. However it would probably turn into one forum with 4 sub forums all being crapped on and moderated instead of just one main forum being crapped on and moderated. But hey, you never know until you try. What do you think CKava, since you are the new sheriff in town.

17. CKava

Thanks... I think. The thing is the other mods aren't gone they are just MIA and they may very well pop back in at sometime... that's just the nature of an internet forum when moderators have busy lives and don't get paid to moderate. In the meantime I think we can all agree it's good to have some folks (including myself) willing to keep an eye on the forum and deal with any nonsense that pops up.

I would also add that I don't necessarily view my lack of Ninjutsu experience to be an entirely negative thing. Modding a forum is not really that related to being a high ranking expert on a topic and high ranking experts do not necessarily make good mods. Especially not ones who are heavily invested in a POV. In terms of Ninjutsu specific disputes I would wager I'm probably more neutral than most Ninjutsu practitioners.

Still, your entitled to your opinion, but I'd suggest it might be a good idea to reserve judgement over how humorous or tragic this situation is until there is actually some evidence upon which to base an opinion.

18. CKava

I can certainly see the benefits:

- Potentially less unnecessary disputes.
    - Easier for practitioners to discuss organisation specific topics.
    - Might discourage trolls.
    - Critics could focus on the group of their choice :).

However I think there are too many problems or potential problems to make it viable such as:

- Disputes over how many sub sections there should be and which groups are large enough to qualify for their own section.
    - Promotes an insular perspective to an already relatively insular part of the forum.
    - There are already a lot of forums and subforums on the board adding more seems like a bad choice unless completely unavoidable.
    - A bit more awkward to moderate.
    - Are there enough active users to keep each sub section in use?
    - If we did this for the Ninjutsu section would be hard to argue against doing it on every other section which would lead to a ridiculous amount of sub forums.

In short I think the current shared forum may not be an ideal situation but it does promote greater interaction between the various practitioners from different groups, which while problematic, is really what this site is geared towards. You might also end up with lots of trolls focusing on one particularly unfortunate sub forum... whereas out here in a shared forum they can get smacked away fairly quickly.

19. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

Of all your reasoning against the idea your last is the most compelling. After all, how many ryu of karate are there? Ju-jutsu? FMA? Good god, imagine the kung fu forum... Ah well it was worth a shot.

20. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Hey there it is great news to see you here.
    Sorry I have been absent alot lately. Plagued with work and some other offside influences.

I will be more present once this weekend has passed.

As for a subforum. That is a cool idea.

I know for me, being an independent some Kans don't care for my words at times and feel I may be biased, if that is the fact I'd continue with the general section or indie if there would be one.
    As for the question no I am not Kan, was at one time. Maybe at one time in future just not yet.

That may attract other users to the board I don't know.