New martial arts ventures...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mr.88, May 18, 2004.

1. Mr.88

Mr.88 New Member

Hi i'm new to this forum but not to martial arts i have been training in karate for about 10 years and have a 1st dan blackbelt and can't go any further until i am 18 (slightly longer than 2 years) so really i wanted to start a new martial art. I want it to be effective on the street and against real situations like knives etc, i heard ju jitsu and bjj are good for this and was wondering which i should start of if there is another effective martial art out there, bearing in mind i live in eastern England and there arent a hugh amount of exotic martial arts styles like krav maga. Please help.

2. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

where about in eastern england are you? I'm in norwich and we have a huge selection of MA's to choose from.

as you are already proficient in a striking arts i suppose you want a grappling art. for this both BJJ and JJJ will be fine. have you considered aikido at all. best bet is to find out whats around you and then check those places out, visit a class or two talk to the master, tell him what you want to achieve etc..

3. Mr.88

Mr.88 New Member

Yeh i'm from Ipswich and i know theres definately bjj and jj here and i have already tried jujitsu and quite enjoyed it but they will only take me when im 16. Cheers for the advice.

4. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Mr. 88: You're on the right track. BJJ works because it's practiced on a fully resisting opponent.

Try the director at www.mma.tv